Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 24-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Greg

Eyes open or eyes closed?

Just wanted to find out how many people prefer eyes open meditation and who prefers eyes closed. Right now I do eyes closed, twice a day, 15 minutes each. As a former zen practitioner I used to do it eyes open, but felt that I wasn't developing at all with my spirituality.
Old 24-04-2011, 09:22 PM
TheTreesHaveEyes

I prefer to do it with my eyes closed. I can't get into the same deep states with my eyes open.... I've tried eyes open and I felt like it didn't really accomplish anything, but I am sure if I did it more often and was used to it, it would be more effective
Old 24-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Greg

I was thinking of maybe doing both. Eyes open in the morning, eyes closed in the evening. What do you think?
Old 24-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Master
I do both. with eyes open I see some things wiwth eyes closed I see others
Old 25-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Deactivated Account
Always with eyes closed. I can't do it with my eyes open. Plus I like to see what's going on in my mind's eye - which can be quite spectacular!
Old 25-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Seven

I have a strange issue with my eyes flickering about when I do closed eye meditation, and the effort required to keep my eyelids closed irritates me and distracts me so I tend to do open eye meditation more. I don't get distracted by anything so it's no issue for me.
Old 25-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Master
May be I'm a day dreamer :) I can always see things clearly with my eyes open .

Every situation is an opportunity for healing, learning, growth and transformation.
Old 25-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Master
I prefer eyes closed, but sometimes that's not good....like when I'm driving.

There are some cool eyes open methods though, I like to focus on a candle flame or the smoke from incense.
Old 25-04-2011, 10:02 PM
tragblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Just wanted to find out how many people prefer eyes open meditation and who prefers eyes closed.

I play around with both. I have read that the brain can devote much more attention to "nothingness" when the eyes are closed, though. Somhe etimes, I randomly imagine symbols and pictures and stuff.

However, I have seen many visuals when meditating with eyes open. Things like the world going black or white, walls moving, and things shining a kind of neon color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
As a former zen practitioner I used to do it eyes open, but felt that I wasn't developing at all with my spirituality.

Zen meditation isn't really meant for higher spiritual perception. It is more about meeting reality and yourself, as you sit, in the moment.
Old 25-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Ivy

I do both. But I trance out naturally if nothing is stimulating my mind much, with eyes open. When I used to do moving meditation, that was with the eyes open...it has its practicalities. More ovten nowadays I will close my eyes to begin meditation...but at times I open them during meditation, out of curiosity more than anything.