Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 14-01-2011, 12:17 PM
carplet

Angry new member

Hi ,
my mother is white english my father is native....i live i uk. i havent met my father,but i am looking for how to understand and get spiritual guidance from the native side of me....i have felt lost all my life...but i feel in my mind and heart that it is the native side of me i need ,,,how can i find what iam looking for
Old 15-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Ciqala

Hello Carplet :)

Have pride in all of your roots, your whole ancestry is your blood, you are special and although you can choose, which side you of your blood you want to devote to spiritually, it is good to celebrate both sides, I too am mixed blood, but with a whole lot of things, my native culture is where i feel at home, but life being mixed, can be a struggle when you feel like you don't belong in one area (of your own flesh and blood), and that you are lost, thus grasp all sides of you. In all of my experience, my spirituality, now includes diversity, and all the cultures of my blood, is who i am. I was adopted, thus i don't know my father either.

You can look into the steps you may be able to take to find him - that will open the doors for you to be able to figure out more about your native roots, what nation, what tribe, and what your ancestors were like, what the traditions are and the spiritual practices, for the tribe you belong to. Talk to your fathers, father. Your grandparents may be able to help you out in learning more.

I went along my spiritual path connected to my native roots, without ever meeting my birth parents, and hardly knowing anything about them, or my own ancestors at that. It was a very lonely life, and i was adopted into a white family who just did not understand my natural born beliefs, they sent me to psych wards, at one point thought i was evil and got an exorcism done on me. I love them deeply though, we now agree, to disagree.

But nothing is more amazing and special and truly real, than coming to what you believe, on your own - it teaches you many great things, and leads you to grow spiritually more than anything. When you learn from own experience, you learn way more than just hearing someone talk about things.
In my younger years, I ended up exploring so many different religions, faiths, because i had no connection to my native culture at all - but nothing ever felt like i belonged there.

Then I learned to feel at home within myself. This is what I did: i followed my own spiritual path of learning, and i strengthened my spiritual abilities by my self. I communicated to the nature spirits, every time i went into a forest, soon i could hear them whisper to me. My native side, made me naturally connected to nature, so i just built upon it, and soon the forests taught me more than any native elder ever has. In fact, the trees told me exact stories, the same stories that native elders tell you, about creation, about animals, about life. When you go into a forest, or natural environment, become open, just like an innocent child, seeing everything for the first time, like it is new, and magical, and life is an adventure, and just believe you can talk to the tree spirits, and you will learn how to.

I was naturally "psychic" as a child, thus i just built upon my spiritual talents, by allowing myself to communicate more with spirits, and exploring the spiritual by my self. If you do not have much spiritual talent already, you can still learn, perhaps just by being on this forum, reading posts, getting ideas.

Because, that, is what leads you to be able to communicate with your own spirit guides, and your spirit guides can teach you way more than any person ever will. If you ask your spirit guides (even if you don't know who they are yet) to send you some guidance, a native elder to learn from perhaps, or a mentor, they will. But man, your spirit guides, are way more intelligent than any mentor, or elder, and if you develop a communication with them, you will be able to learn a lot about your native roots. You can even learn to talk to your own native ancestor spirits, and have them help you out.
In all, that's how i know, all the roots I am truthfully, my ancestors come to me, teach me things of their ways. I have more native in my blood, than anything, but i also have interesting other foreign races with amazing spiritual beliefs, and I also have white - i think german. I celebrate what I am now, after coming through a past of hating myself for it. My eyes are white wolfish blue, my skin dark, and it creeps people out and i love it!

I came a long way, in my life, on my own, and learned native things without having to talk to elders. By the time i was 16, i decided I really wanted to learn more about actual native practices.

But believe me, by the time i finally stepped foot into a native centre building, and met a wise native elder, and confessed my beliefs and that everyone thought i was just insane, and he comforted me, just smiled and said, "you are home, you belong here". It was the most wonderful experience of my life, actually finding a place to truly belong, with other people that had the exact same beliefs as me, and... it was amazing. They just adopted me, like that, and i never felt more, like i belonged.

What i did, was search out places in community dedicated for native peoples. Where i live, it is easy to find, as society is multicultural based, and their are native centres. I am guessing, where you live, there should be some form of native events, or a place in your community where you can become connected to other native people and native elders. Just be on the lookout for such things. Even if the place you live, the reservation and tribe there, is not your blood, they should be accepting enough to teach you anyway. The elders are always looking for people that are interested in learning.
Do not ever let anyone scorn your "mixed race", because in actuality it is a highly respected thing. Said "half breeds" and mixed people, are just as allowed to belong, and are highly respected. There are some folks that are so ingrained on blood percentages, that they forget blood percentages were created by the government to bring apart the people, and that the spiritual side of native culture is the only important thing.

Once you meet some wise native elders, and gain some connections in your area, you can then possibly be invited to sweat lodges, ceremonies, pot lucks, and just explore even more. So, try to find some connections.

Oh, and I also became involved with as many different tribes as i could, not just my own blood - it's not actually frowned upon, and it gives you a lot of learning experience, to learn different traditions from different tribes. For example, the area i am in, Coast Salish, is not my blood, but i highly resonate with it, because i was raised by west coast forests, the forests taught me west coast ways, and most of my animal totem guides are west coast animals, might as well be family eh? I mean, in all, i have a lot of ties between different native tribes either because of my ancestry or past lives, even all the way down to mexico Huichol tribe, to Cree, just in the plains from here. All people, are family.
Anyways, I hope that helps you, and gets you started a bit. If you ever have any questions, i'm here.