Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Troll_ov_Grimness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Funny. To me saying Paganism isn't a religion is a deeply personal insult that suggests Pagan religions (and people who identify simply as Neopagan/Pagan and nothing else) aren't real or valid and that they therefore don't deserve nor warrant respect (such as under religious freedom). This is also the message it probably sends to outsiders like this sixteen year-old.

Pagan and paganism are derogatory terms

you can't save them
Old 06-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Quintessence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness
Pagan and paganism are derogatory terms

you can't save them

Lol... fair point. Given enough time, though, words evolve. They take on additional meanings and subtexts. I think that has already happened in at least some people's vocabularies with words like "pagan" and "witch." Hard to say how linguistic trends will play out in the long run. A better person to ask about that would be someone who works on the Oxford English dictionary.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Master
Pagan is like..'gentile' or heathen or infidel...
Pagan = Christianity (In christianity anyone who isn't a christian).... Gentile = Judaism (In Judaism anyone who isn't a Jew).... Infidel = Islam (In Islam anyone who isn't a mulsim) Heathen, well anyone who doesn't follow any particular religion (I guess I'm well and truly a heathen,lol).....this is my understanding...please correct me if Im wrong....Peace..
Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 AM
LadyTerra

Thank you--Quintessence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Funny. To me saying Paganism isn't a religion is a deeply personal insult that suggests Pagan religions (and people who identify simply as Neopagan/Pagan and nothing else) aren't real or valid and that they therefore don't deserve nor warrant respect (such as under religious freedom). This is also the message it probably sends to outsiders like this sixteen year-old.

I am a legally ordained Pagan Priestess and I practice my Religion.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Master
I assume that everyone is aware that all coven-trained wiccans are priests.

They are Wiccan Priests and wicca is pagan.
Druids are priests and Druidry is pagan
But neither is a pagan priest. "Pagan/Neo-pagan" is a generic word which covers quite a broad field. Part of the field is religious and part is not.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Wickerman

link to wikipedia removed cause I am not allowed to post links. I was going to post the definition of Pagan.

Maybe this isn't the best encyclopedia in the world, but if I may be so bold. We are really arguing semantics here. The reason being that we aren't all speaking the same language. It is pretty clear that the lady in question was not simply a non-believer as christians would call her, or a country dweller. I would suggest then that so we are all on the same page, we pick a dictionary or encyclopedia (preferably an on line, free, one) and agree to use the definitions found there. As an alternative we could each define every word in our posts to avoid confusion, but then we would have to define the words in our definitions as well.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Knower
I think the fact he didnt know it was a religion dosent give him a reason to torment her about it - Even if it wasnt a religionn wouldnt give him a right to torment this woman over what she believes in
Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Troll_ov_Grimness

I think the fact it is not a religion beckons the question what did he really do wrong?

He's making fun of a religion that DOESN'T EXIST

period!

Of course he didn't know it was a religion
Old 12-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness
I think the fact it is not a religion beckons the question what did he really do wrong?

He's making fun of a religion that DOESN'T EXIST

period!

Of course he didn't know it was a religion

Not a religion...hmmm...I think the hundreds of pagans in the world would disagree with you there, just a little bit
Old 13-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Troll_ov_Grimness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel
Not a religion...hmmm...I think the hundreds of pagans in the world would disagree with you there, just a little bit

Define paganism?

Can it even be defined?

I am not saying that druidism, wicca, and all these ideas are not religions

but not all spirituality constitutes even being a religion