Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 13-01-2024, 07:51 AM
Ascender

The instinct for self preservation and survival.

Hello all.
Further pondering exploration.

The instinct for survival and self preservation may spill over into consciousness and result in a kind of pre programming which lends validation to a tendency to believe that the pursuit of self interest is always an acceptable/good/worthy way to go.

If this is the case, then being pre programmed in this manner has consequences regarding behaviour---consequences which may not benefit self interest but actually become real obstacles to self preservation and survival.

Such consequences may not necessarily be immediately apparent, but become more so as interdependence and cooperation become more and more recognised/ evident as being essential ingredients for continuing survival.

Such circumstances present a dilemma of possible/probable conflict regarding collective behavioural choices needing to be made because they cannot be further delayed on the one hand, and individual self interest on the other.

We may wonder perhaps if the resolving of this dilemma will require something like an adaptive evolutionary change.--the merging of self interest with collective interest--the emergence of a kind of empathic consciousness.?

CheersX
Old 13-01-2024, 08:16 AM
Master

You mean what we describe as Deities or the Universe? Maybe not all of it, but some...

Kind regards,

CW
Old 14-01-2024, 06:53 AM
Ascender

Hello CosmicWonder.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I regret that I feel unable to respond to your initial question without some further explanation regarding the terms in which you have presented it.

Cheers.X
Old 14-01-2024, 07:15 AM
Master

You mean deities/the universe?

Deities would be any gods. To that I have to add deities are very diverse. The Universe would be imo what you call to when you ask the universes help. I am not sure about the inner workings of such a call.

If you call out to the Universe for help, it will guide you in exactly the thing you need to get right. In my case usually step by step. Its the perfect solution for you mentioned.

Kind regards,

CW
Old 14-01-2024, 07:55 AM
Ascender
Hi there,

I love the idea that your throwing out there. Can we collectively grow conscientiously enough to put our own self interests and ego aside to extend greater compassion, empathy and understanding to one another lessening the consequences collectively by developing a greater understanding of self and others as one and all the same.

I find that there is a eternal debate spiritually speaking regarding whether one can fully evolve by exercising peace alone. Many would say that consequences lead to growth and become the much needed balancer for karmic debt. Then their are those who feel that all is but a manifestation, that we create accordingly with our own free will, which initself is often generated from a place of self interest, with positive or negative consequences depending on the current mindset.

I personally feel that as people become more consciously aware of themselves and the ripple effect of their actions that consciousness as a whole will naturally evolve beginning with a desire to heal traumas and wounds. Education is key and knowledge is paramount. Life skills being integrated into school curriculums, more funding being placed into the mental health and wellbeing of our children etc.

People with mental disorders should not be discriminated against on the basis of their mental illnesses. People with mental disorders should receive the same quality and standards of care as other people receive. There should be more mental health awareness and education to improve public perception and reduce stigma.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts
Old 15-01-2024, 12:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareunity
Hello all.
Further pondering exploration.

The instinct for survival and self preservation may spill over into consciousness and result in a kind of pre programming which lends validation to a tendency to believe that the pursuit of self interest is always an acceptable/good/worthy way to go.

If this is the case, then being pre programmed in this manner has consequences regarding behaviour---consequences which may not benefit self interest but actually become real obstacles to self preservation and survival.

Such consequences may not necessarily be immediately apparent, but become more so as interdependence and cooperation become more and more recognised/ evident as being essential ingredients for continuing survival.

Such circumstances present a dilemma of possible/probable conflict regarding collective behavioural choices needing to be made because they cannot be further delayed on the one hand, and individual self interest on the other.

We may wonder perhaps if the resolving of this dilemma will require something like an adaptive evolutionary change.--the merging of self interest with collective interest--the emergence of a kind of empathic consciousness.?

CheersX

If you heal yourself as deep as the collective then yes it is the way as I see this.

I spoke briefly about healing at a deeper level in myself which is this very thing. When you sit with the collective suffering, you’ll notice how you feel in the way and means they distribute theirs through life.

When you include the past, present and future as a more complete collective as yourself, you’ll move through more than your own personal suffering, you’ll see the collective is ours to heal through our personal investment, however that plays out..

I’m an empath so I naturally have moved through deep to this degree because my empathic self is more open and connected towards others.

I simply let all suffering in the world through that process, to enter me fully so I faced it head on to clear out my being, invested in it as attachment.

I think the spiritual process requires it in those activated to do something about it.

As a collective we are all in this together. Our self interest or self preservation is always moving through the many streams of life created, but also too there are plenty moving through the awareness that as a collective, everything matters as a continuum of life, not so much as it chooses but how you decide it fits and belongs within you..
Old 15-01-2024, 06:44 AM
Ascender

Hello SaraTherase and JustBe

Thanks for your thoughts--and food for thought.

One such latter--food for thought--is the difficulty in choosing words to convey thoughts as accurately as possible, This is especially difficult when a particular word has the possibility of conveying a differently nuanced meaning depending upon how it is used grammatically.

An example of this possibility is the word "collective". (imo).

If we were to use the word as a noun ---as in " the behaviour of the collective" --this seems (to me) to paint a picture of something quite distinct from the picture formed when the same word is used in " collective behaviour".?

Cheers.X

PS. Edited to correct spelling of your username Sara Therase.--my apologies.

Last edited by weareunity : 15-01-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 25-03-2024, 12:27 PM
Ascender
Let's try this again..

Being in survival mode promotes a notion of self lack. I feel that when a person lives solely based upon self interest it is because they are lacking in many aspects of their lives. I don't believe that one whom behaves in this way does so thinking that it is worthy or good, acceptable maybe.

We are all preconditioned and preprogrammed from day dot. If one was brought up in fight or flight/survival mode without the right basis for comparison or guidance than one will act out of self interest. All actions have consequences and the nature of the consequences depend on the action taken. Obstacles are coincidentally created due to consequences which make survival even harder.

In order to correct collective behavioural choices one would have to be born into a home not created from survival but one of unconditional love, nurturing and consistent care. If not the case the collective would have to step in and further assist and help those families and children educating them in ways in which they are not currently being educated in at school and in the home.

A great deal of compassion and empathy is collectively required to change collective behavioural choices. To heal the world we must first heal ourselves. To heal ourselves is the greatest gift we can give to one another for within each of us lies a healer attracting the broken bird so to speak.

I think that so many of us on the forum whom are self aware have the ability to enlighten and educate another in the ways of how the future could be. The merging of self conscious and the collective is a starting point that make take eons to start to come to fruition. The point is you got us thinking and that's where it all begins..
Old 01-04-2024, 01:46 PM
Ascender

Color

Hello SaraTherese and all.

The "thinking" has been around for a long time I believe. --the "golden rule" common to many beliefs/cultures offers a glimpse into past thoughts which, whilst not actually spelling out the "oneness" of existence, does however offer guidance toward harmonious togetherness. A togetherness which does not depend upon any forms of shared group identity, but is apparent, becomes apparent, in the behaviour of each to other/others.

However, -and obviously-this is a quite radical proposition in a world dominated by divisions of varying descriptions, families, villages, cities, tribes, nations, beliefs, customs etc.etc.--and particularly threatening to those who by accident of birth or by design of ambition derive power and privilege by becoming dominant policy makers within such divisions and who actually need the divisions to exist in order to maintain such dominance.

As a result, the thinking along the lines of the "golden rule" is not promoted and followed through in a tribal and divided world to become a possible way of being, but becomes instead semi tolerated as a kind of pie in the sky theoretical aspiration.

Simply put, unity is threatening to those--probably relatively few in number- who depend upon division and promotion of division in order to gain or maintain their "tribal" dominance.

But now the consequences of the struggle for dominance are so serious that the whole notion of a divided world dominated in such a manner becomes nonsensical. Practicality begins to converge with the aspirational, self interest converges with general interest.

This seems like the nature of our journey so far.

Cheers.X
Old 02-04-2024, 11:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareunity

If we were to use the word as a noun ---as in " the behaviour of the collective" --this seems (to me) to paint a picture of something quite distinct from the picture formed when the same word is used in " collective behaviour".?

Can I ask how you see differences in these?