Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 16-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Master
Why wasn't Jesus a vegetarian?

doesn't this conflict with his other teachings? thou shall not kill etc
Old 16-01-2011, 09:06 PM
hippocratie

Being a Jew I don't think that Jesus would have been a big meat eater. Fish seems to be the typical menu. The Christian movement on the other hand moved to the land of the Gentile, I think that meat would have already been in consumption in that part of the world so it didn't really change anything. Also you should keep in mind that the Christian movement greatly affected the militaries of Europe. If you want to build a strong army you need the capibility to feed a lot of people, this means improving farming methods and developing them to their greatest potential. The strong nations of the world were always cattle farmers.
Old 16-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewater

There is no commandment not to kill.

The commandment is not to murder.

There is a difference.

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 16-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Master
isn't killing the same thing?
Old 16-01-2011, 09:42 PM
hippocratie

commandment wise murder is to kill out of hate or without reason, killing was still done all the time as sacrifice or execution or to get food, the same way that it's done today. Today would could even add in a soldiers duty.
Old 16-01-2011, 09:43 PM
de.spin

maybe what RabbiO means is that killing an animal is not murder. Maybe murder can be applied only to human beings?

Many religions say that. I disagree in toto with all of them.
Old 16-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Master
Quote:
He might have been a vegetarian. Bread was the staple diet in his time.
Lots of vegetables and fruits grow in Israel now, but the land was far less fertilized in his time (more arid).
Quote:
isn't killing the same thing?
Do jaguars murder peccaries?
Old 16-01-2011, 11:05 PM
mahakali

when animals kill it is not the same as humans killing because animals act instinctively without reason. humans have the capability to reason and feel deep compassion so in my opinion we should exercise that capability. but im speaking from a Buddhist mindset so this is my opinion only.
Old 16-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Neville

Jesus was not vegetarian because he liked Fish.

Not much of a theory, but the only one that occurs to me. He also apparently liked a drop of Vino too .

I like him already.

I am a bit rusty but was it not Moses who got a hold of the 10 commandments? There are certain differences in the Old and New Testament, But please, don't leap down my throat, I am not a follower, at least not a devout follower anyway.
Old 16-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Master
I know Jesus manifested bread and fish... but are there any scriptures that specifically mention Jesus actually eating fish?