Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 17-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Kamal

how do you tell the difference...

Between forgiveness or suppression of emotion
Between true selflessness or ego
Between charity or the desire to increase ones self worth (ego)
Between accepting and letting go or ignoring (or covering up with lies)

The more I come to realize what the ego is the more dumbfounded I've become. To the point in which I don't even speak because I can't tell if I'm just inflating my ego or something else.

For example today I was talking to my sister and I was about to say, "I wrote about this topic and this teacher really likes this kinda stuff."

At first glance it seems fine, but when closely analyzed what purpose does it serve? It's like telling someone your angry at someone. It won't help the other person nor you. The ideal way is just accepting what or whoever angered you and let it go (harder then it sounds =/)
I stopped myself before saying it because truly there was no purpose in saying other than to tell my sister that I was doing this topic and this teacher will be impressed with me, ect.

It's a little frustrating because it seems like almost everything is my ego talking. Unless its a spiritual subject, which in that case it could still be the ego but its easier to talk from a more pure informative or advice giving sense.

Am I making any sense haha? I'm sure some of you know what I am talking about...how did you find the deviation between your true self and the ego..?
Old 17-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Royalite

Well, how do the two make you feel?. forgiveness vs. suppression of emotion for example. When I truly forgive someone I feel free of the burden of it. True forgiveness is freedom and a transcendence of the energy of a grudge. When you suppress the emotion you find yourself weighted down, burdened, because you have not allowed yourself to process the information that was provided to you within that emotion and experience.

From one you are offering from your inner core, not for gain or benefit, but because you see a better way of operating or enjoy the feeling of sharing. From the other, you are operating from the feeling of emptiness and incompleteness that one believes can be filled up by what exists outside.
Old 18-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Suspended
Hiya Kamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal
Between forgiveness or suppression of emotion
Between true selflessness or ego
Between charity or the desire to increase ones self worth (ego)
Between accepting and letting go or ignoring (or covering up with lies)

What came to me as I read these is that the first things (forgiveness, true selflessness, charity and accepting & letting go) will not "come back" at you. Once done, they're done. Forgotten and moved on.

However the second things (suppression of emotion, ego, increase ones self-worth and ignoring) will come back and bite you on the bum.

Suppression of emotion - the emotion will simply find another outlet as it needs to be released.

Ego ego schmego - loves attention and "me, me, me!" It will remind you of how wonderful it was, how selfless and charitable, and encourage you to go look at it in the mirror and stroke it.

Ignoring (covering up with lies) - covering up = suppression again. Guess what? The suppression will find another outlet......

Personally, I haven't got a problem with ego as such. I appreciate it's a part of human existance. However, I do try and keep mine on a leash. It occasionally slips the leash and runs off barking at everything...but it's a work-in-progress.

Squatch