Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 29-03-2015, 07:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Mostly, we think of things as scalar.

How, Gem, is the mathematical and physics use of the word scalar applied to what we mostly think?
It looks to me that without understanding it use in the above I can't understand how you have used it. Does it now have a use outside of the above?

"A scalar is a one-component quantity that is invariant under rotations of the coordinate system." from wolfram mathematics.

Does it mean our thinking doesn't change to suit conditions? invariant must mean not variable and rotation kinda means changing and coordinate kinda means there an ability to re-integrate those changes so scalar kinda must means an unchanging thing. Please explain if you would.
Old 29-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Kiran65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Advocates wanted it removed so that psychologists would stop pathologising it and the DSM-5 now refers to Gender Dysphoria (not Gender Identity Disorder). This basically means that gender non-conformity isn't invalidated an an identity. The emotional distress it thus placed in a cultural context as well in a 'wrong body' framework. It suggests that the identity is valid and the problem is environmental. This shouldn't really affect treatment options and one would think it makes such things as hormonal treatments and gender re-assignments more accessible, but it might go the other way because of the the increased ambiguity.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the changes were manipulated by insurance companies, and as far as I can tell, advocates are pleased to see that transgender identity is no longer classified as an identity disorder.

I did misspeak, I'm sorry. Yes, the trans people I know were thrilled it was removed as a mental disorder, of course, and worked hard to have it be. But, from what I've heard, insurance companies also worked for this. And my trans friends were stunned to find, the moment it was removed, any treatment that was covered by their insurance was immediately not once it was removed, with the reasoning being it was no longer considered a mental disorder. NOTHING is covered for some of them now, not hormones, not surgery, nothing, and that includes the doctors visits that would give them the prescriptions for the hormones, the blood tests, etc. For others, the doctors visits only are covered, dependent on how the doctors classify the visits. :(

And, yes, you would think it would make things more accessible, or, if nothing else, as accessible, wouldn't you? Or hope so?

That said, a few companies are very, very trans friendly, and their insurances cover a lot of treatment, even surgery, Starbucks being one. My son has a friend who is 15 who plans to get a job at Starbucks for just this reason before he turns 18. Target is another, but you have to be a full time employee, and they are not known for hiring full time very easily. But there are other companies, Starbucks is just one of the easier ones at which to be hired and gain insurance, from what I've heard.
Old 29-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran65
I did misspeak, I'm sorry. Yes, the trans people I know were thrilled it was removed as a mental disorder, of course, and worked hard to have it be. But, from what I've heard, insurance companies also worked for this. And my trans friends were stunned to find, the moment it was removed, any treatment that was covered by their insurance was immediately not once it was removed, with the reasoning being it was no longer considered a mental disorder. NOTHING is covered for some of them now, not hormones, not surgery, nothing, and that includes the doctors visits that would give them the prescriptions for the hormones, the blood tests, etc. For others, the doctors visits only are covered, dependent on how the doctors classify the visits. :(

And, yes, you would think it would make things more accessible, or, if nothing else, as accessible, wouldn't you? Or hope so?

That said, a few companies are very, very trans friendly, and their insurances cover a lot of treatment, even surgery, Starbucks being one. My son has a friend who is 15 who plans to get a job at Starbucks for just this reason before he turns 18. Target is another, but you have to be a full time employee, and they are not known for hiring full time very easily. But there are other companies, Starbucks is just one of the easier ones at which to be hired and gain insurance, from what I've heard.

How interesting. We don't really have company sponsored health insurance here in Australia, so employers don't make such decisions. I can see how US health insurance can be manipulated by corporations now.
Old 29-03-2015, 11:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Interesting
How, Gem, is the mathematical and physics use of the word scalar applied to what we mostly think?
It looks to me that without understanding it use in the above I can't understand how you have used it. Does it now have a use outside of the above?

"A scalar is a one-component quantity that is invariant under rotations of the coordinate system." from wolfram mathematics.

Does it mean our thinking doesn't change to suit conditions? invariant must mean not variable and rotation kinda means changing and coordinate kinda means there an ability to re-integrate those changes so scalar kinda must means an unchanging thing. Please explain if you would.

I meant on a sliding scale. There's a diagram somewhere :

We usually think in terms of people being along the scales and a mixture of them, and also think that changes over time.
Old 29-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Kiran65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

We usually think in terms of people being along the scales and a mixture of them, and also think that changes over time.

O M G!!!!! This is sooo coool!!!! I love it! Can't wait to show it to my son

And, yes, unfortunately a ton is controlled, not only by corporations, but, especially, by the health industry here, Gem--I didn't realize you weren't in the US (didn't even occur to me to ask--how dumb of me! So sorry!!). So much is manipulated and controlled by them, it is truly frightening :(.
Old 29-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Kiran65

And, um, duhhh, there it says, right on your post, location, Australia lol. Man, not my day!!
Old 30-03-2015, 01:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

Okay, thanks, I can kinda see the relationship then of using a mathematical term for a specific thing in a way that might make things easy if shorthand were required except it's almost anti-scalar.

The scalar then is the expression given even thing else (coordinate) sliding about (rotations) adds up to the expression... except in only one aspect is the expression invariant... as an expression.

Don't worry about me as I'm often more than willing to criticize un-complex things that hide under complexities.
Old 31-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Sakyadhita

I'm so glad someone posted the genderbread person!