Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 17-08-2021, 07:07 PM
Eelco

preferred meditation.

I was wondering what every bodies preferred meditation method is.
Shamatha, vipassana

Also does it give you the results the Buddha promised?
Old 17-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
Shamatha, vipassana
I prefer spontaneous Meditation when it's a happening rather than a doing.
Old 18-08-2021, 03:01 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Thoughtlessness.
Quote:
Also does it give you the results the Buddha promised?

It doesn't give me anything. It takes away the me but not the "I"

The now just is in a state of thoughtlessness. There are no words present or word based interpretations nor the "one" that would do such things.

I think there is a key insight needed to practice thoughtlessness. Normally if someone tries to be thoughtless they can't. Try to be here now in this moment without one idea or thought. Watching the breath is a thought. I'm mediating is a thought. Both also sustain ego by the way. The state we seek is selfless, without self interest. That's related to the insight. The discovery there can be no movement of thought in any direction for it to be.

To seek is the same as to not seek, ego cannot find a way there because the state has no ego. Thus the teaching we already have it, already are it, it is already here. We don't do something to be thoughtlessness. We stop doing something.
Old 18-08-2021, 07:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
Thoughtlessness.
And who is ' Thinking ' they are 'Thoughtless' ?
Old 18-08-2021, 08:04 AM
Eelco

The reason I asked is that I "believe" some form of "formal" meditation practice is almost unavoidable if I am to take the noble path seriously as a path leading to the cessation of dukkha.

I've experimented with a vipassana style of meditation by Ajaan Tong Sirimangolo. Did a 15-day intensive retreat over 7 years ago and am planning to do one next April. If covid restrictions are somewhat normalized and I can get my unvaccinated *** across the borders.

My practice these days If they exist at all are a focus on the breath with some mahasi style noting. I am persuing to ramp up my practice to include at least one, but preferably 2 sits of an hour before April in order to hit the ground running when I go on retreat again. 7 months should be enough to get there.
Old 18-08-2021, 08:12 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
Thus the teaching we already have it, already are it, it is already here. We don't do something to be thoughtlessness. We stop doing something.
Is this your experience?

If I read the sutta's or listen to dhamma talks by notable bhikkus I find most will urge you to strive for enlightenment. Whatever that may mean.

Even a few hardcore meditators I read up on seem to advocate a strong practice to navigate up through the stages of insight(Nanas) or concentration.(Jhana's).
My experiences do seem to suggest that with a formal practice however unpleasant at times concentration and insight seem to increase than without a formal practice where I can find myself in some sort of unskillful mind state for days, before snapping out of that.
Old 18-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Master
The best Meditation style is the one that works for you personally, everyone is different and you yourself will know through the experience and benefits and not the experiences of others.
Old 18-08-2021, 08:33 AM
Eelco

I'm not looking for the best. Just want to compare notes if possible.
The frame of that comparison would be the path.
For instance during or after meditating. Do you experience an increased awareness? Do defilements of the mind increase or decrease. If so what does that means to you etc etc.
Old 18-08-2021, 08:42 AM
Master
Before and after,

Concentration by mindfulness of breathing, when developed and cultivated, is of great fruit and benefit…I too Monks, before my Awakening, while I was still a Bodhisattva, not yet fully enlightened, generally dwelt in this dwelling etc:
SN 54.1.8.
After His Awakening..."If followers of other teachers ask how I spent my rains retreat, just tell them He mostly spent His rains retreat in the concentration that comes from mindfulness of breathing.” SN 54.2.1.
Old 18-08-2021, 08:54 AM
Master
Quote:
I'm not looking for the best.
I wasn't referring to you personally looking for the best