Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 13-05-2020, 01:41 PM
Newbie ;)

Free will vs Pre-determined

How much of free will do we truly have? Or is every action pre-determined?

It’s often said that some of the bigger events such as birth, death, ailments, family, success or failure are pre-determined while other events are on the basis of free-will.

But if we look at those big events, they are the result of a series of actions and unless those actions happen, the pre-determined event can’t take place. So, isn’t those series of actions also pre-determined to lead to that bigger event?
Old 13-05-2020, 01:59 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfulmusing

It’s often said that some of the bigger events such as birth, death, ailments, family, success or failure are pre-determined while other events are on the basis of free-will.

But if we look at those big events, they are the result of a series of actions and unless those actions happen, the pre-determined event can’t take place. So, isn’t those series of actions also pre-determined to lead to that bigger event?
Can the universe we experience be fully deterministic and yet we can have free will at the same time?
Old 13-05-2020, 03:35 PM
Master

freewill vs pre-determined

Quote:

Hi ,

Indian scriptures believe the God is everywhere and its in us also .
So everything happens as per God - whose will is expressed through / present in each one of us living beings in the universe and actual actions happens on the basis of dynamics of such wills of all living beings Including us . There is limited free will by which we can exercise in matters in our life especially the one's concerning us .
Old 13-05-2020, 04:40 PM
Master
"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happenin' at the same time." - Forrest Gump

Not a clue - Me
Old 13-05-2020, 05:02 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
Can the universe we experience be fully deterministic and yet we can have free will at the same time?

That is one of the possibilities I am thinking of.
Old 13-05-2020, 05:04 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
Hi ,

Indian scriptures believe the God is everywhere and its in us also .
So everything happens as per God - whose will is expressed through / present in each one of us living beings in the universe and actual actions happens on the basis of dynamics of such wills of all living beings Including us . There is limited free will by which we can exercise in matters in our life especially the one's concerning us .

Okay. So, it seems like our free will is only limited to our inner world and actions. We cannot determine our birth, death, family or even relationships. Our success and failure is largely dependent on the society as well due the dynamics of all living beings. And it seems like I can focus on my karmas and knowing myself - now how much of it is conditioned, I still don't know.
Old 13-05-2020, 05:06 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happenin' at the same time." - Forrest Gump

Not a clue - Me

If we think of advaita vedanta, or non-duality, then it makes sense that both are happening at the same time, as there is no difference between us and the Universe.
Old 13-05-2020, 08:59 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Here's how I see it.

Without realization - The only meaningful free will is whether or not to loose the second arrow.

With realization - Free will in the above sense is a non-factor when there is only freedom.
Old 13-05-2020, 09:26 PM
ketzer

Quote:
That is one of the possibilities I am thinking of.

Well then, Forest was right. I think that perhaps everything that happens not only was predetermined to do so, but had already happened, in fact it has always been so and always will be so. It doesn't just happen, it is eternally happening. That said, everything that we experience is something we have freely chosen.

Old 13-05-2020, 10:09 PM
Master

Quote:

Free-will. Nothing is predetermined.

On the other hand, if you don't exercise your free-will, you'll just react to what others, more assertive, do.

All those "big events" you mentioned reflect your conscious and unconscious beliefs, as well as your thoughts and emotions.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.