Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Closed Thread

Old 25-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Master
Good stuff running.

Thank you.
Old 25-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
Namaste.

I'd like to play this game though! sounds fun!

Is this where I am 'sposed to make the sound of 'one hand clapping' or 'show you my face before I was born' or say something like :'oh look, the 'goose is out' or remind you to 'stop pouring tea into my cup because it's overflowing already'?

*told you guys I'm a Buddhist...

Anyway, all of those things are just nice little mind games that keep you locked within a thought-cycle holding pattern (why am I thinking my thoughts?) until you realise 'why am I doing this?" and "why is it important?" and even "this is stupid" and then adopt the Advaitic practice (I am first and foremost an Advaita Vedantin in my religion which has very close ties with Buddhism) of saying "not this...not this" or we say "neti-neti" ...I think you guys call it...Anattā...something like that.

*goes and reads some Nagarjuna because I have nothing better to do...

Om Mane Padme Hum

Aum Namah Shivaya

Anatta and Neti Neti are two different concepts.

Anatta is the Buddhist belief of not having a soul the refutation of Atman.

Neti Neti is a Self Inquiry tool. Really great for working with the beginning of a thought.. I am not this, not this. It is a constant challenge to the "I". Yet nowhere is Neti Neti associated with emptiness and not having a soul/Atman.

All the best.
Old 25-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy

Neti Neti is a Self Inquiry tool. Really great for working with the beginning of a thought.. I am not this, not this. It is a constant challenge to the "I". Yet nowhere is Neti Neti associated with emptiness and not having a soul/Atman.

All the best.

Anatta is translated under different labels, no-soul no-self egolessness, so neti neti can be understood to mean the same.
Old 25-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Anatta is translated under different labels, no-soul no-self egolessness, so neti neti can be understood to mean the same.

Not even close. Neti, Neti is a technique.

Anatta is a completely different concept.. that of emptiness.

In Buddhism, the term anattā (Pali) or anātman (Sanskrit) refers to the doctrine of "non-self", that there is no unchanging, permanent soul in living beings.[1][2] It is one of the seven beneficial perceptions in Buddhism,[3] and along with Dukkha (suffering) and Anicca (impermanence), it is one of three Right Understandings about the three marks of existence.[1][4]

The concept of Anatta or Anatman in Buddhism, is a major difference from the Hindu concept of Atman (self, soul).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta

Neti neti, meaning, "Not this, not this", is the method of Vedic analysis of negation. It is a keynote of Vedic inquiry. With its aid the Jnani negates identification with all things of this world which is not the Atman, in this way he negates the Anatman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_neti

Again, words do have meaning and they do matter.
Old 25-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Master
Quote:

All the best.
Do the Buddhists even have a term for the same concept of negative Self Inquiry?

Of course we don't have a 'soul' or 'atman' that's the final stage in the whole process of neti-neti.

Even Adi Shankaracharya said there's no karma, no liberation, no soul, no concepts we can ever understand because everything is the whole experience and the experience is everything.

Buddhist teachings aren't my strong suit, lets put it that way.lol
Old 25-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Do the Buddhists even have a term for the same concept of negative Self Inquiry?

Of course we don't have a 'soul' or 'atman' that's the final stage in the whole process of neti-neti.

Even Adi Shankaracharya said there's no karma, no liberation, no soul, no concepts we can ever understand because everything is the whole experience and the experience is everything.

Buddhist teachings aren't my strong suit, lets put it that way.lol

Vipassana is the method of self inquiry in Buddhism.

Neti Neti negates the anatta.. which means it believes in the Atman.

A different belief system.
Old 25-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Vipassana is the method of self inquiry in Buddhism.

Neti Neti negates the anatta.. which means it believes in the Atman.

A different belief system.
Fair enough, no commonality at all? Just trying to find one is all.
Old 25-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Not even close. Neti, Neti is a technique.

Anatta is a completely different concept.. that of emptiness.

In Buddhism, the term anattā (Pali) or anātman (Sanskrit) refers to the doctrine of "non-self", that there is no unchanging, permanent soul in living beings.[1][2] It is one of the seven beneficial perceptions in Buddhism,[3] and along with Dukkha (suffering) and Anicca (impermanence), it is one of three Right Understandings about the three marks of existence.[1][4]

The concept of Anatta or Anatman in Buddhism, is a major difference from the Hindu concept of Atman (self, soul).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta

Neti neti, meaning, "Not this, not this", is the method of Vedic analysis of negation. It is a keynote of Vedic inquiry. With its aid the Jnani negates identification with all things of this world which is not the Atman, in this way he negates the Anatman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_neti

Again, words do have meaning and they do matter.

Yes words do matter and do have meanings but sometimes the same words have different meanings.
Old 25-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Fair enough, no commonality at all? Just trying to find one is all.

Hi Necro,

I am all about finding truths in the various traditions and paths.

The problem is when one thinks something means something when it really doesn't. When they think they have an understanding but it is a wrong one because they haven't looked and think that something that say's no soul is the same as something that negates that belief.

It is a common theme I find with people.

Not trying to hammer you, just trying to provide some insight.. I like to throw in Christian and Toaist and Hindu views into things also.
Old 25-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Yes words do matter and do have meanings but sometimes the same words have different meanings.

No they don't.. not within these traditions.

The words have been used with specific meaning for thousands of years. It is that way for learning and common understanding.

That is why when you research the words they have the Pali or Sanskrit meaning and etymology of the word.

Because the word choice matters a lot.