Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2016, 07:41 AM
Master
Ego.

Are we born with ego, is it genetic ?

I am convinced that without ego our Ancestors in the caves would not have survived, a sense of self/me/mine was needed to live another day.

Thoughts/opinions please
Old 20-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Master
I'd say we're born with one, yeah. I was going to say it's the inevitable consequence of being born into form (this creating the illusion of separation), but would that mean that all sentient forms have an ego, a sense of a separate self? Don't know the answer to that one.
Old 20-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
I'd say we're born with one, yeah. I was going to say it's the inevitable consequence of being born into form (this creating the illusion of separation), but would that mean that all sentient forms have an ego, a sense of a separate self? Don't know the answer to that one.

I believe that all sentient beings are born with ego but animals to a lesser extent than humans.
Old 20-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Master
Yes I think we are born with ego, and I agree in thinking it is a necessary phase, important for us in our younger years as well. But I think it is a limitation that we need to overcome to become truly wise and compassionate, which is of course impossible if ego remains.

I am pretty convinced that developing our subtle body and moving beyond ego is the current work in our evolution as a species. With this thinking, one day people will routinely be born beyond ego, and they will have another 'spiritual' challenge that they will be working to overcome.
Old 20-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Yes I think we are born with ego, and I agree in thinking it is a necessary phase, important for us in our younger years as well. But I think it is a limitation that we need to overcome to become truly wise and compassionate, which is of course impossible if ego remains.

I am pretty convinced that developing our subtle body and moving beyond ego is the current work in our evolution as a species. With this thinking, one day people will routinely be born beyond ego, and they will have another 'spiritual' challenge that they will be working to overcome.

Moving beyond the ego as a species sounds impossible, but who knows in the future what will happen. I think if we start with ourself then we can create a ripple effect.

Our thoughts can change our genes so there is hope for humanity.
Old 20-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Moving beyond the ego as a species sounds impossible, but who knows in the future what will happen.
The ego is a product of, and necessary aspect of, material existence. Once the human being becomes self-realized, there is no longer the need to incarnate. Thus no more ego. In the future, the race of beings we identify as "human" will no longer require incarnating in the physical-material realm. That part of the evolution journey will be complete. And at that point, there will be no need for the ego any longer. And no longer a need for the planet Earth, for the ego-incarnation plane itself.
Old 20-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
The ego is a product of, and necessary aspect of, material existence. Once the human being becomes self-realized, there is no longer the need to incarnate. Thus no more ego. In the future, the race of beings we identify as "human" will no longer require incarnating in the physical-material realm. That part of the evolution journey will be complete. And at that point, there will be no need for the ego any longer. And no longer a need for the planet Earth, for the ego-incarnation plane itself.

Once we become 'ego-realized', I think we can create a different form of ego, a superior version, one that cares about our own survival but with infinite compassion for all other's survival as well.

And then there might be more to learn in the physical-material realm beyond transcending and recreating a more spiritual ego?
Old 20-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Once we become 'ego-realized', I think we can create a different form of ego, a superior version, one that cares about our own survival but with infinite compassion for all other's survival as well.

And then there might be more to learn in the physical-material realm beyond transcending and recreating a more spiritual ego?
I agree with your first comment. I don't know what you mean with your second comment though. A spiritual ego? Do you mean having an ego while in spirit form? I have a tough time understanding why a being of pure spirit would require an ego of any kind.

I've had fully-awake metaphysical experiences whereby I experienced being in a place of unity consciousness. I was aware of my soul, and my soul was part of everything. Yet it still felt like I was an individual and unique soul. But I didn't have any experience of ego attachment to any of that. Just pure union with everything. So again, I don't see how the concept of a spiritual ego fits in with being in spirit.
Old 20-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Master
Quote:
I am convinced that without ego our Ancestors in the caves would not have survived
They would have been saber-cat supper without their ego.
Old 20-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Are we born with ego
One listen to a week-old child screaming for food or a diaper change would answer that question. Some babies quietly fuss, and some shriek so hard they change color and look like they'll explode. Yeah, I would say the ego is already active at birth, long before the parents ruin the poor kid.
Closed Thread