Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 25-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Guide

Gifts (Materialism)

I don't actively practise Buddhism, but it does interest me a great deal, and I've started reading a new book about it. I have a question regarding gifts and materialism. Materialism is something a Buddhist would wish to be free from, is that right? However, I read that the giving of gifts is highly regarded, in many ways because it's a good deed and counters the negative. But is that right? By buying somebody a gift, could that be seen as feeding somebody else's materialism? Could that create certain expectations or set standards (such as buying somebody a gift every year for their birthday), which could then lead to negativity if not repeatedly fulfilled?

I'm still new to Buddhism, so forgive me if I've completely misunderstood this.
Old 27-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Suspended
It is not the object(s) that causes the fuss, but the intent to possess and so on. It is really just about leading a life that has minimal cravings, attachments and frustrations. We tend to get frustrated when we lose something, or become attached and then have to let go.. Materialism itself is all about feeding the ego, so when we lead a more ego free life then possessions become less important. That is not to say that we have to live like a yogi on the mountain, of course.

When Buddhists give gifts to teachers and lamas, they will often give a simple scarf or something like that.
Old 28-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Dragon
I don't actively practise Buddhism, but it does interest me a great deal, and I've started reading a new book about it. I have a question regarding gifts and materialism. Materialism is something a Buddhist would wish to be free from, is that right? However, I read that the giving of gifts is highly regarded, in many ways because it's a good deed and counters the negative. But is that right? By buying somebody a gift, could that be seen as feeding somebody else's materialism? Could that create certain expectations or set standards (such as buying somebody a gift every year for their birthday), which could then lead to negativity if not repeatedly fulfilled?

In my current understanding , Buddhism is a natural process of you realizing your existence , cause of your existence - your emotion .....as one awaken to emotion and Buddhism , one will realized that nothing is owned by him nor any living -any human ( friends/parent/ spouse/children / physical body or any pets/plant or any material is never belong or connected to him ......one will realized he is always alone in the journey of his choice , his will in his world ...he will realized he is same as others - same as any human , plant or Coca-Cola can ....with such realization , so he will give others in need because he sees " no others" except himself .....
Old 29-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Knower
Sunset Dragon: When you give to others without attachments or without expectation of rewards, you will release greed, negative energy from your karma. If you continous to practice these pure motivations, you will accrue merit and create karma that bring future happiness. Moreover, you will never born in the Hungry Ghost Realm. You are encouraged to dedicate merit to the liberations of others. The more you dedicate merit to all sentient beings, the more you will gain highest compassion and greatest wisdom on your spiritual journey. I wish you have strong motivations to do generous giving to those who are in great need. Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Tam
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:

It is better to give a scrap of bread to a bird out of pure compassion to all living things, than to give a diamond ring out of attachment

it is the intention behind the giving, if someone needs, or will be benefitted from the mateiral item, then this to is good

there are 3 classes of being of whom which it is really positive to give
our parents or people who give to us
the sick and the needy
the holy beings, eg spirit guides, Buddhas and Boddhisatvas

I hope this helps, Namaste x
Old 03-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Guide

Thank you all. I understand it better now.

I do have one other question. By giving, are we likely to shed greed or self-satisfaction? At this point in time, I question whether giving would be out of the pure goodness of my heart, or if I'm giving just because I want to feel good about it or because I want to better myself. It's hard to explain, but I feel it's almost self-serving in a way. I like to give to people and I always have, but I want to make sure I give for that same reason, and not think about how it might 'serve' me, if that makes sense. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Thank you all. I understand it better now.

I do have one other question. By giving, are we likely to shed greed or self-satisfaction? At this point in time, I question whether giving would be out of the pure goodness of my heart, or if I'm giving just because I want to feel good about it or because I want to better myself. It's hard to explain, but I feel it's almost self-serving in a way. I like to give to people and I always have, but I want to make sure I give for that same reason, and not think about how it might 'serve' me, if that makes sense. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it.

it sounds to me that its the over thinking that is the issue here. Its easy whenyou start to be more in tune with yourself to start questioning reeasons, thats because things arent so subconcious anymore

If you feel you are doing it just for the sake of your ego, or to benefit from the giving, then its not what Buddhists call the perfection of giving. It is the intent behind that is most important

If you count all of your posessions as belonging to other people, and pretend that youre just minding them (like a charity holds money for a crisis) then if an opportunity comes up to make someone happy, or benefit them, then practise none attachment by giving this person the gift :)
Old 05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Ayahuasca
it sounds to me that its the over thinking that is the issue here. Its easy whenyou start to be more in tune with yourself to start questioning reeasons, thats because things arent so subconcious anymore

If you feel you are doing it just for the sake of your ego, or to benefit from the giving, then its not what Buddhists call the perfection of giving. It is the intent behind that is most important

If you count all of your posessions as belonging to other people, and pretend that youre just minding them (like a charity holds money for a crisis) then if an opportunity comes up to make someone happy, or benefit them, then practise none attachment by giving this person the gift :)

Thanks Anthony.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Ascender

Hello All,

I am a bit lost with Sunset's original questions, because I don't read it as gift = materials. One of Sunset's questions: "the giving of gifts is highly regarded, in many ways because it's a good deed and counters the negative." It did not mention material gifts.

My interpretation of the above discussions is that, if you have it in you (subconsciously), you will interpret it as such. In my mind, gifts do not have to be in physical form. Teaching someone how to fish, so that he can fish for himself, and no longer rely on you to give him a fish when he is hungry, is a gift too. Does this gift fuel anyone's ego?

My understanding is that gifting is an expression of love. Hence it is encouraged. However, depending on what level the person is, he will express his love differently.

When one truly gives or gifts, one expects nothing in return. Instead, what one wishes is the well-being of the receiver.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanchain
Hello All,

I am a bit lost with Sunset's original questions, because I don't read it as gift = materials. One of Sunset's questions: "the giving of gifts is highly regarded, in many ways because it's a good deed and counters the negative." It did not mention material gifts.

My interpretation of the above discussions is that, if you have it in you (subconsciously), you will interpret it as such. In my mind, gifts do not have to be in physical form. Teaching someone how to fish, so that he can fish for himself, and no longer rely on you to give him a fish when he is hungry, is a gift too. Does this gift fuel anyone's ego?

My understanding is that gifting is an expression of love. Hence it is encouraged. However, depending on what level the person is, he will express his love differently.

When one truly gives or gifts, one expects nothing in return. Instead, what one wishes is the well-being of the receiver.

Thanks Wanchain, your post has opened my mind up. Great point in your example of teaching a person to fish.