Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Quotes & Stories

Old 22-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Knower
Buddhist Stories

Hey,

I've currently been reading a book entitled "The Cow in the Parking Lot" by Leonard Scheff and Susan Edmiston, Copyright 2010. Contained in this book are several stories that really made me think about, and I would like to list some of them here.

I'll post a story in the morning and let me people talk about it and then post the meaning they discuss in the book in the evening.

Enjoy.
While physics and mathematics may tell us how the universe began, they are not much use in predicting human behavior because there are far too many equations to solve. I'm no better than anyone else at understanding what makes people tick, particularly women.
Stephen Hawking

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 22-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Knower
Let me post one for you right now ......
The philosophers, logicians and doctors of law were drawn up at Court to examine Nasreddin. This was a serious case, because he had admitted going from village to village saying: "The so-called wise men are ignorant, irresolute and confused." He was charged with undermining the security of the state.
"You may speak first," said the King.
"Have paper and pens brought," said the Hoca.
Paper and pens were brought.
"Give some to each of the first seven savants."
They were distributed.
"Have them separately write an answer to this question: "What is bread?"
This was done.

The papers were handed to the King, who read them out:
The first said: "Bread is a food."
The second: "It is flour and water."
The third:" A gift of God."
The fourth:" Baked dough."
The fifth:" Changeable, according to how mean 'bread'."
The sixth:"A nutritious substance."
The seventh:"Nobody really knows."

"When they decide what bread is," said Nasreddin, "it will be possible for them to decide other things. For example, whether I am right or wrong. Can you entrust matters of assessment and judgment to people like this? Is it or is it not strange that they cannot agree about something which they eat each day, yet are unanimous that I am a heretic?"
Old 22-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Knower
Two monks studied under a great master who was known far and wide for his serenity. One day they got into an argument. One of them said that the master sometimes got angry and the other said that the master never got angry. After much discussion, they decided the only thig to do was to ask the master. So they went to the master who was working on a piece of calligraphy and waited quietly until he looked up. The first monk than said, "Master, I say that sometimes you get angry, and he says that you never get angry. Do you get angry?"

"Yes and no," said the master, who than looked down and continued working on his calligraphy.

The students left and began arguing over the master's answer. They become increasingly agitated over the master's failure to resolve their argument. So they went back to the master and the second monk said, "Master, why do you refuse to answer our question?"

The master said, "I've given each of you the answer you wanted."

The first student said, "We need to know who is right."

"If you know who is right," The master replied, "will that feed or clothe you?"

The student though for a moment and said, "No Master, it will not."

"Why do you choose to suffer?" asked the master.

Whereupon the students felt serenity deeper than the ocean.
While physics and mathematics may tell us how the universe began, they are not much use in predicting human behavior because there are far too many equations to solve. I'm no better than anyone else at understanding what makes people tick, particularly women.
Stephen Hawking

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Mayflow

Nice one, Wildfire! :-) I love stories like this.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Now, this will become my favorite thread!
Oh boy!

Can we post stories from the Gita?
Or Hindu stories we have heard?

"Why do you chose to suffer?"

EXACTLY!! ( To those that love to debate, argue and must be right!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A link with excerpts from A Cow in the Parking Lot:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cq_IcM6nCs0C&pg=PA162&lpg=PA162&dq=Scheff +The+Cow+in+the+Parking+Lot&source=bl&ots=_bo-s-an7U&sig=LFhLlaPwHj1nmIKPo8CzPQgXAFI&hl=en&ei=sKDX Tu-mJpGssALLiamQDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resn um=6&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBQ

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 01-12-2011 at 03:50 PM.