Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 24-12-2011, 04:46 PM
SerpentQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
If by e-ones you mean 'enlightened-ones', there's a lot to be said about that.
It's easy to have a jaundiced eye towards some of them due to their behavior when their actions (attitude) speak louder than their words and points to any number of apparent character flaws that exist in anyone. So, what is there to differentiate between an e-person and any old regular person.

That's the conundrum, isn't it? If its actions alone, my dad would fit the profile of an enlightened one --- but he considers himself a secular humanist and would not waste one minute in a forum like this, much less meditating, or any other spiritual practice. He is respectfully tolerant and just says, if it works for you, I'm happy for you.

Those of us interested in such things did a group yoga session yesterday and my dad just sat and observed, "you all look like pretzels."
Old 24-12-2011, 05:03 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentQueen
That's the conundrum, isn't it? If its actions alone, my dad would fit the profile of an enlightened one --- but he considers himself a secular humanist and would not waste one minute in a forum like this, much less meditating, or any other spiritual practice. He is respectfully tolerant and just says, if it works for you, I'm happy for you.

Those of us interested in such things did a group yoga session yesterday and my dad just sat and observed, "you all look like pretzels."
Hi SQ: I too am drawn to Secular Humanism, also i am observant of the synergistic effects of cooperative effort.. in such a way as to produce effects unaccountable by conventional methods of quantifying those effects, and.. i am open to what has not yet been revealed as effective for enhancing the results of the Secular Humanist processes, and science is opening new doors into reality on a regular basis.. it is a magnificent time to exist!

Be well..
Old 24-12-2011, 06:08 PM
SerpentQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi
Greetings..

Hi SQ: I too am drawn to Secular Humanism, also i am observant of the synergistic effects of cooperative effort.. in such a way as to produce effects unaccountable by conventional methods of quantifying those effects, and.. i am open to what has not yet been revealed as effective for enhancing the results of the Secular Humanist processes, and science is opening new doors into reality on a regular basis.. it is a magnificent time to exist!

Be well..

Tzu, you remind me of my dad which is why I have an affinity towards you. Meanwhile Xan feels more like a mom-- though very different than my own mom.

I'm very interested in how forum dynamics often play out like family dynamics (and yes I'm hiding again, but just for a few minutes. Going to go back and re- engage for better or worse!)
Old 24-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Master
Quote:

That is warmly funny and I see what you're saying ~ hybrid's the one who brought it up. I was merely disagreeing with him, rofl.

Old 24-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Master
Quote:
A true master would not want you bowing to them. Didn't the Buddha say if you met him on the road, kill him?

I don't even get that. why "kill him?" What's the point in that saying?

Old 25-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Master
Quote:
I guess that means I'm an e-one~*

it's possible that people hate and love you for entirely different reasons other than your an e.
not saying that you're not though.

Quote:
I don't even get that. why "kill him?" What's the point in that saying

one should stop being a groupie.
not saying that you are though.
Old 25-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid
it's possible that people hate and love you for entirely different reasons other than your an e.
not saying that you're not though.

one should stop being a groupie.
not saying that you are though.

How does that explain the kill buddha statement?

Old 25-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Master
Quote:
How does that explain the kill buddha statement?

from wiki- Killing the Buddha
If you meet the Buddha, kill him.Linji
Thinking about Buddha is delusion, not awakening. One must destroy preconceptions of the Buddha. Zen master Shunryu Suzuki wrote in Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind during an introduction to Zazen, "Kill the Buddha if the Buddha exists somewhere else. Kill the Buddha, because you should resume your own Buddha nature." One is only able to see a Buddha as he exists in separation from Buddha, the mind of the practitioner is thus still holding onto apparent duality. One translation of "kill" would be with the word "cut" instead - bearing in mind the importance of the sword for the Japanese culture in the days of the Zen foundation. The sword is also an esoteric symbol and one uses a sword to cut through the veils of illusion.

from daily buddhism -
Question:

I have heard the phrase “If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!” many times. Can you explain this?
Answer:
It actually comes from an old koan attributed to Zen Master Linji, (the founder of the Rinzai sect). It’s a simple one: ‚If you meet the Buddha, kill him.‚

I’m sure you already realize that it’s not being literal. The road, the killing, and even the Buddha are symbolic. The road is generally taken to mean the path to Enlightenment; that might be through meditation, study, prayer, or just some aspect of your way of life. Your life is your ‚Äúroad.‚Äù That’s fairly straightforward as far as metaphors go.

But how do you meet the Buddha on this “road?” Imagine meeting some symbolic Buddha. Would he be a great teacher that you might actually meet and follow in the real world? Could that Buddha be you yourself, having reached Enlightenment? Or maybe you have some idealized image of perfection that equates to your concept of the Buddha or Enlightenment.
Whatever your conception is of the Buddha, it’s WRONG! Now kill that image and keep practicing. This all has to do with the idea that reality is an impermanent illusion. If you believe that you have a correct image of what it means to be Enlightened, then you need to throw out (kill) that image and keep meditating.

Most people have heard the first chapter of the Tao, ‚The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.‚ (So if you think you see the real Tao, kill it and move on). -
Old 25-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Master
I get it now ~ your explanation helps ~ thanks. Yeah, knew it wasn't quite literal. For me, it means find one's own path.

Old 25-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Master
Quote:
For me, it means find one's own path.

what does it means to find one's own path?
all paths had been thread before by someone else before you, even the the phrase 'find one's own path" is someone else teaching that you subscribe now. the truth is most of your views and ideas about life were not yours originally.
Closed Thread