Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 23-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Meditation practices in Buddhism

I'd like to start this thread to discuss Buddhist meditation practices. Feel free to share in your experiences, ask questions and otherwise just enjoy the dialogue.

This is not a thread to discuss practices that are not in line with Buddhist practice, or for people to post untruths about Buddhist teachings/Buddhist meditation. Please keep those to other threads as I'd like to have a shared space that is true to the teachings and guidance of the Buddhas.

Thank you,

BT
Old 23-01-2018, 06:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
I'd like to start this thread to discuss Buddhist meditation practices. Feel free to share in your experiences, ask questions and otherwise just enjoy the dialogue.

This is not a thread to discuss practices that are not in line with Buddhist practice, or for people to post untruths about Buddhist teachings/Buddhist meditation. Please keep those to other threads as I'd like to have a shared space that is true to the teachings and guidance of the Buddhas.

Thank you,

BT

Yes that sounds good.
One thing I have noticed through reading some Meditation posts is that a lot of people try to make it so complicated for some reason but for me it is so simple and natural, also I would like to add is that it is not a chore that needs to be done at a certain time for a specific length of time before you recieve benefits.
We are all different and what works for some doesn't work for everyone, just enjoy it and find what works for you personally, there are plenty of Buddhist teachings on how to do it, look around the guidance is there.
I personally do not expect anything from Meditation but accept as a bonus what I do recieve.
Old 23-01-2018, 08:08 PM
Master
Has anyone tried a ' Neti Pot ' before practising breath meditation ?
Old 24-01-2018, 04:29 AM
Suspended
Ascender

I can't say I have, sky123. I have a friend who uses them, but only when he has a cold, I believe
Old 24-01-2018, 07:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
I can't say I have, sky123. I have a friend who uses them, but only when he has a cold, I believe

I had never heard of one until a few weeks ago when I noticed them being advertised, I would imagine them to be uncomfortable no thanks I don't think I will try...
Old 24-01-2018, 07:19 AM
Master
What did Buddha mean when he used the words ' Body in a body ' I don't think he's referring to the physical body but the breath but I am not sure
Old 24-01-2018, 07:46 AM
Master
[quote=sky123]What did Buddha mean when he used the words ' Body in a body ' I don't think he's referring to the physical body but the breath but I am not sure

Is he calling the breath body, so it would read ' breath in a body ' meaning they are one????? Or am I confusing myself???
Old 24-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Experiencer

I practice 'just sitting.' Another way to put it is 'formless meditation'.

'Just sitting' is a Zen term, but I like to call it non-meditation.

The technique can be described as, no effort, no technique.

It's also been referred to in Buddhist texts as pure meditation. I think the term pure conveys the purity of it in terms of the fact that it's kind of the most basic, fundamental kind of meditation.

Of course, mindfulness of the breath is also a primary Buddhist meditation, but I prefer just sitting mainly probably because of the simple fact that I enjoy it more, although surely some people would not. We all have our preferences.
Old 24-01-2018, 09:12 AM
Experiencer

Something else is the Buddhist idea of 'polishing the mirror'. That's like clearing the mind of illusions so reality, what truly is, can be seen more clearly.

This of course could take place with ANY technique. But according to Zen teacher Charlotte Joko Beck, we must practice with care, because it's possible to create MORE illusions by meditating if it's not engaged in properly and with correct intent. That's her opinion, but I think it may be that even such meditation can be helpful perhaps.
Old 24-01-2018, 05:38 PM
Suspended
Ascender

[quote=sky123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
What did Buddha mean when he used the words ' Body in a body ' I don't think he's referring to the physical body but the breath but I am not sure

Is he calling the breath body, so it would read ' breath in a body ' meaning they are one????? Or am I confusing myself???

sky123 - Can you please provide the reference/place where you find this phrase for context?

BT