Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 30-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Master
Meditation Series IV - Meditation Itself

When you read this you will filter it through what you know, what you think you know, because there has been a long history of meditation tradition that is taken to be true, because of thousands of years of tradition. I take exception: what people say about meditation is 99.9% bulldust, and those who profess to teach the 'tried and tested' techniques are book learned themselves and pretending to others.

Meditation instructors will be all up in arms about that, but not surprisingly since I adamantly disrupt thousands of years stale old hand me downs where each generation is scared pantsless of straying from security of tradition, but I claim that it's all dead dusty old stuff. All dried up like the ink it is written in.

Meditation is momentarily alert, alive and aware. It isn't rigid like a perfect posture, repetitive like a hypnotic mantra or controlled like a slavishly obedient, yet inherently resentful, mind.

Meditation is captured by the word 'sati' which means awareness or to observe. We are already aware and we are already watching. That's what it is to be alive. We can't teach it because we already know it. Teachers will tell you what to watch, what to chant, what to visualise - but the meditation is self awareness, and the knowledge of self.

You are not a static thing that is captured and retained as knowledge that can be taught - you are living, being, thinking and changing from moment to moment. One does not observe anything stationary or repetitive. One is the witness to life, which is vital and dynamic.

The meditation does away with the repetition of habits and reactions ingrained in us by upbringing. It dispenses with the comparisons so popular throughout school, career, society and the spiritual status quo. It relinquishes all standards of religious rote and dictatorial society. It's disruptive and disobedient not because it's rebellious, but because it's truthful. Some few will appreciate that.

If person really wants meditation, they will know the truth about themselves and will not to be able live according to any traditional norms or institutional paradigms anymore; rather, they will live in truth to themselves. That is the essence of transformation.
Old 30-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
If person really wants meditation, they will know the truth about themselves and will not to be able live according to any traditional norms or institutional paradigms anymore; rather, they will live in truth to themselves. That is the essence of transformation.

Well said.
Old 30-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Master
Nicely said, Gem.

Old 30-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Suspended
There is nothing 'wrong' with tradition in itself, just as much as there is nothing wrong with meditation in itself. They are not mutually exclusive. Everyone will find their way and the best method to use. Even Buddha received training before taking himself to the other, deathless shore.

The points about not listening to others and just steaming ahead with little attempt at proper contemplation or awareness of what is outside of you seem somewhat isolationary to me. There may be some good in turning received knowledge into practical wisdom but not at the cost of throwing all your toys out of the pram.

As in everything, I think balance is key in these matters and others.
Old 30-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

So we have Hundreds of millions of people around the world in various traditions/systems of practices. These traditions are just a set of practices built upon each other.

As one practices these techniques, one is transformed from within. The reason is, is because no matter how much help or how powerful the techniques, we each have to let go to grow.

The institutions have grown up to provide support for people and to act as a repository of knowledge. To help people along when they have questions like this forum and to make sure people don't get lost in the various playgrounds along the way.

An example would be all the people thinking they are awakened or enlightened when all they have is a little mindfulness during the day That is where having a system with the knowledge and the experience to help you along the way is invaluable.
Old 30-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Nettles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul
As in everything, I think balance is key in these matters and others.
Agreed
As to the OP, I try not to overthink it and just be.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Master
Meditation is disruptive and necessarily unsettling, not because it entails angst and malice, but because it is ruthlessly truthful. The introspection, entirely without the preconceptions of tradition, without the justifications of avoidance, and without any judgements or preferences - the full facing of what is true - will pervade every corner of ones life and their relationships - and if one's life isn't brought into upheaval and radically transformed, then there is no point undertaking meditation.

Let me start with this precious tradition that seems to be so valuable. Of course to a religious person, or a nationalistic person, or a person who is influential as some kind of spiritual expert, or a person who wants to be led along, these traditions are entirely invaluable. I don't question their value or their valuelessness. I look at it 'as it is'. Not with judgement of its value or lack thereof.

This is what I say. See for yourself if its true or not. The tradition is telling people how to act. We know how meditate according to tradition and we just do as is prescribed. When we stray from that dogma, we become concerned: well, the thousands of people who advocate this are in consensus, and I am alone in my own inquiry - maybe I have got it all wrong. I better obey what those thousands say. It's safer. It's tried and tested, and much more comfortable. When I branch out alone I'm entirely uncertain because I have nothing to refer to. I have no crutch to fall back on. I have no idea what I should do. I really do have to trust myself. This is very unsettling because I'm really and truly on a path of my very own.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Master
Secondly, let me say something about this notion of knowledge. That knowledge is stored and constrained and then taught as something acquired. It isn't something that really exists right now. It isn't part of this living universe. It is discourse. It's everything to do with a belief system and it is nothing to do with what is true. It is something one can put in their memory box and take home. It belongs in the past and has no bearing on this moment. This knowledge is what the 'spiritual master' has over the minions that pander around them. It positions the monk or the teacher as the authority, and makes you a paltry figure, obedient and reliant within their shadows.

All this hierarchy rests on the institutional knowledge, which isn't 'the known'; isn't the Gnosis; not the insight. The known is immediate, momentary, and then gone. That truth can never be captured and then taught or learned.