Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 AM
RusticSage

Theonautics - A Worldview Metaparadigm

Preface

The following is a version of the ideas I'm currently working on, that outline a spiritual discipline and order or "school of thought", that detail a process of obtaining a personalized spiritual pathway for each individual, and suggest the idea of an Interfaith Community called "Theonautics", that I would like to one day help create, with the assistance of other like-minded and interested people.

Before anyone interested reads this, I would like to mention that I in no way believe that this concept or spiritual current is something that I need to control, and that if this idea eventually took off, I think it would be of value to anyone person or persons who wanted to create a Freeform Interfaith Community. Also, many of the terms I have written in are from my perspective, which are informed in many ways by Esoteric and Occultic ideas.

That being said, I think that this could be approached in many ways, and I'm sharing it because I genuinely believe that people from many walks of life, who are themselves considering very abstract ideas of spirituality, would be interested in discussing or learning more about.

Please let me know what you think....

Introduction

The Principia Theonautica

The Curriculum of Theonautics
and The Process of Gnostic Renewal

The Theonautics curriculum concerns itself with The Process of Gnostic Renewal - a four step process to help each Theonaut to realign themselves with their own personal worldview, and restore their connection with the divine. It is done in the order of grades, like many occult systems, but their names reflect a more craft, trade, or school oriented meaning or configuration.

The Four Grades of Theonautics

Seeker - The Grade of Deconstruction
Apprentice - The Grade of Manifestation
Journeyman - The Grade of Production
Master - The Grade of Realization

The Seeker Grade

The Seeker Grade concerns itself with the Deconstruction of dogmatism through the denial of the fallacies of collective faith and religion. In order to complete this level in the process, one must go through The Trials of Dogmatism, and rid oneself of the stifling idealogies that disrupt and distort genuine spirituality. These are based on the attribution of the false authority of dogma, because of long-standing personal biases, and are at their root internal.

The Trials of Dogmatism

These trials are the vices of the Theonautics school

I. Indifference - Justifying laziness by ascribing to dogmas that promise the least amount of work

Overcoming indifference requires unworking the value of convenience from one's core beliefs, and learning instead to value hard work and study.

II. Selfishiness - Justifying greed by ascribing to dogmas that promise the biggest reward

Overcoming selfishes requires unworking the value of power from one's core beliefs, and learning instead to value personal creativity, and divine experiences.

III. Insecurity - Justifying fear by ascribing to dogmas that promise the most security

Overcoming insecurity requires unworking the value of comfort from one's core beliefs, and learning instead to value growth, confidence, and well-defined intentions.

IV. Hatred - Justifying bigotry by ascribing to dogmas that promise the greatest truth

Overcoming hatred requires unworking the value of certainty from one's core beliefs and learning instead to value respect, virtue, and personal gnosis

It is important at this point to understand The Four Principles of Community, to help overcome The Trials of Dogmatism.

The Four Principles of Community

These principles are the basic interfaith philosophy of the Theonautics school

I. Principle of Persistence
All worldviews require patience and hard work to develop

II. Principle of Perception
All worldviews require personal awareness and divine experience

III. Principle of Evolution
All worldviews require growth and change to flourish

IV. Principle of Relativism
All worldviews require respect of others and humility

Once The Four Principles of Community are understood, it is time to understand the crucial part of the next stage:

The Two Axioms of Admission

I. Individualism
A Theonaut accepts that his/her worldview is theirs alone, and that sharing it does not warrant conversion.

II. Pluralism
A Theonaut accepts that community is cultivated through the shared vision of interfaith, and not dogmatism.

Once The Two Axioms of Admission are properly understood, a Theonaut is ready to move onto the next step, with the understanding of the universiality of belief.

The Apprentice Grade

The Apprentice Grade concerns itself with the construction of one's personal mythos, beginning with contemplation about the nature of being, carried along by deep meditation, and an often long and uncertain process of discovery. The formation of a divine narrative requires an alignment with the forces and beings who are interested in granting personal gnosis to Theonauts, and is as much a of a personal creation as it is a manifestation of these forces.

Each Theonaut has a different method for how to contact the formless divine, to be given forms to understand in the context of myth, so it is important to study alongside each other, as well as taking inspiration from history when neccessary. Once the moment of inspiration manifest one's own mythological story, however primordial or sophisticated, it must be understood that it will naturally evolve over time, as more of one's own personal worldview becomes clear.

For this reason, the first steps towards creating a divine narrative no more or less important than the last, but rather, it is the spirit of the journey that must be maintained - with the same genuine passion and creativity that originally caused the inspiration in the first place. For some, elements of their own personal mythology may already be partially or almost completely present, which is why it is always important to be receptive to the change and evolution that will invariably occur during this process, because a genuine pursuit of personal gnosis will always be directed towards an even higher level of attainment.

The Journeyman Grade

The Journeyman Grade concerns itself with the dissemination of one's own personal credo or "philosophy", and is best understood as a continuation or refinement of the core elements first described in one's own personal mythology. This process, though primarily based on logical and rational conclusions about abstract metaphorical ideas, it is ultimately informed by the intuitive elements touched upon in the previous step. It is crucial in this stage to remember all of the trials in the Deconstruction phase, and all of the core principles, axioms, and disciplines that are the basis of Theonautics, so that one does not begin creating new dogmatisms and orthodoxies in the process. Credo, like Mythos, will also go through many evolutions, and will also benefit from the value of study and collaboration with other Theonauts.

The Master Grade

The Master Grade concerns itself with the formation of one's own praxis or "techniques", that will be the visceral and dynamic incoporation of the divine narrative, and the personal philosophy of one's own worldview. One's Praxis will invariably be based in solitary rites, but they potentially can be the subject of discourse within the Theonautics school - both for the purposes of community growth, as well as the refinement of one's own processes. At this point, it is important to mention that one's ability to create ritual, much in the way of philosophy, is dependent on your knowledge of other belief systems, as well as how able to you are to communicate with other Theonauts. This is especially true of Praxis, because of the often solemn and even hidden nature of many rituals. It it crucial to be able to study all beliefs without allowing oneself to become disuaded too far away from the goals and principles of Theonautics, and especially in the final stages of establishing your own personal worldview.

Mastery of Theonautics

To become of Master of your own worldview is a lifelong process. Most Theonauts are only on the cusp of understanding Mastery, and will likely take many years to get to that point. The value of Theonautics is not in the heirarchy of each grade, but the value that Theonauts can get from discourse with others at any level of this process. And like any trade or school, it is always important to brush up on the basics - you never know when a little refresher is in order!

- RusticSage
Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Hi RS: is it possible to reduce your process to simpler more natural organic system? less assumptions about what 'is', your process sets preconditions and establishes a 'destination', the 'divine', which.. begins to sound another religion.

If you can 'let go' of the preconceptions, have no 'destination', and pay attention to what 'is' actually happening, with an open mind.. life will reveal itself and the process becomes very simple.. 'still the mind' that conceives a process, the resulting clarity neutralizes the 'need' for a process..

Be well..
Old 04-09-2012, 03:54 PM
RusticSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi
Greetings..

Hi RS: is it possible to reduce your process to simpler more natural organic system? less assumptions about what 'is', your process sets preconditions and establishes a 'destination', the 'divine', which.. begins to sound another religion.

If you can 'let go' of the preconceptions, have no 'destination', and pay attention to what 'is' actually happening, with an open mind.. life will reveal itself and the process becomes very simple.. 'still the mind' that conceives a process, the resulting clarity neutralizes the 'need' for a process..

Be well..

A few people have stated in the past that the very "gnostic" terminology I used in this first draft focus pretty heavily on conceptions of the divine, and though I am open to the idea of being a little more "open-ended" or "journey" driven with this process, I am unsure how to reference the process without being at least a little directed towards a divine principle or source.

Though I agree with you that I should likely allow a smoother manifestation of this process, and I agree that simplicity is definitely key to the idea, I think that there needs to be some technical and or philosophical basis - even if it is a very freeform configuration. That being said, I will take what you have said into consideration, and consider a little more of an "organic" approach in further versions of the idea.

Thank you for your post
- RusticSage
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusticSage
A few people have stated in the past that the very "gnostic" terminology I used in this first draft focus pretty heavily on conceptions of the divine, and though I am open to the idea of being a little more "open-ended" or "journey" driven with this process, I am unsure how to reference the process without being at least a little directed towards a divine principle or source.

The Universe is the way it is, but what is it? That makes a very open ended Journey for the divine. When you reference it from the top down instead of the bottom up it makes more sense :-)
Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 AM
RusticSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
The Universe is the way it is, but what is it? That makes a very open ended Journey for the divine. When you reference it from the top down instead of the bottom up it makes more sense :-)

I think the journey towards a personal understanding of the universe is by definition "open-ended". What do you mean by top down vs bottom up? Wouldn't both approached be in some way utilized in spirituality?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
I think the journey towards a personal understanding of the universe is by definition "open-ended". What do you mean by top down vs bottom up? Wouldn't both approached be in some way utilized in spirituality?

To understand Spirit you have to think like Spirit. By the way some people talk they started off as human and became Spirit, but we came from Spirit and we'll go back to Spirit when this is over. This throws a completely different light on the subject. Thinking of Spiritual matters from the bottom up confuses because we're thinking like humans. When we start thinking like Spirit on an human Journey (top down) things make more sense. It becomes not a struggle to make sense and gaining of knowledge but a rich tapestry of beliefs and non-beliefs, and even those that are not Spiritual weave their threads through the tapestry.

If there is a 'nautics' perhaps it should be about traversing those threads. That brings its own understandings.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
RusticSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
To understand Spirit you have to think like Spirit. By the way some people talk they started off as human and became Spirit, but we came from Spirit and we'll go back to Spirit when this is over. This throws a completely different light on the subject. Thinking of Spiritual matters from the bottom up confuses because we're thinking like humans. When we start thinking like Spirit on an human Journey (top down) things make more sense. It becomes not a struggle to make sense and gaining of knowledge but a rich tapestry of beliefs and non-beliefs, and even those that are not Spiritual weave their threads through the tapestry.

If there is a 'nautics' perhaps it should be about traversing those threads. That brings its own understandings.

I believe that I am traversing threads. Just different threads than you may be. Or am I?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
I believe that I am traversing threads. Just different threads than you may be. Or am I?

Different threads, same tapestry :-) We are mother/father, brother/sister, son/daughter.... Each our own personal tapestry within the tapestry within the tapestry.....

It all comes down to the question and not the answer. Who Am I?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Nada

Rustic,
I respect your spiritual wordview and it really is upto you how you want to organize your thoughts into your selected metaparadigm method.
You are trying organize and rationalize such holistic sprituality into the metaparadigm behind the Positivist and Scientific paradigm.

However, for spirituality arena, it is more fitting (in my humble opinion) to start from Interpretative or Naturalistic Paradigm first, and to define the metapardigm that is aligned with this type of naturalistic paradigm. - which has its philosophical foundations from Phenomenology and Hermeneutics.

This is just my suggestion. However, if you have to think in such rationalistic process, it is just as acceptable to some. But others may reject such old fashion empiricism and rationalism (and to be frankly outdated methods) to place their spiritual passage.

Just saying. Nonetheless, I respect what you are trying to do.
Old 14-09-2012, 01:36 AM
RusticSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada
Rustic,
I respect your spiritual wordview and it really is upto you how you want to organize your thoughts into your selected metaparadigm method.
You are trying organize and rationalize such holistic sprituality into the metaparadigm behind the Positivist and Scientific paradigm.

However, for spirituality arena, it is more fitting (in my humble opinion) to start from Interpretative or Naturalistic Paradigm first, and to define the metapardigm that is aligned with this type of naturalistic paradigm. - which has its philosophical foundations from Phenomenology and Hermeneutics.

This is just my suggestion. However, if you have to think in such rationalistic process, it is just as acceptable to some. But others may reject such old fashion empiricism and rationalism (and to be frankly outdated methods) to place their spiritual passage.

Just saying. Nonetheless, I respect what you are trying to do.

If the idea of empirical observation and rationalism are outdated, how exactly should I be more interpretative and naturalistic? I have my own opinions about what you are trying to say here, but I want to hear your reasoning behind it.