Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Wisa'ka

Snake Handling

When I was young my cousin and I peeped through the window of a small church in the mountains and witnessed part of a strange ritual. The preacher and his followers were handling venomous snakes such as copperheads and timber rattlers. Later I learned this ritual is like a test to see who has faith enough to be rewarded the protection of their god.

Is this a test, or perhaps showing off in a sense ? I heard they drink poison as well. Why not take a gun and shoot oneself to see if god can deflect a bullet from entering the skull, or stand in the middle of a railroad track to see if a train can stop in time ?

I seem to remember reading something in their bible about 'taking up serpents'.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Ascender

Silly superstitious beliefs. Whatever entity they are worshipping and giving their power to is certainly not what they believe it to be. Why would God require you to prove yourself, for gods own amusement?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROM
Silly superstitious beliefs. Whatever entity they are worshipping and giving their power to is certainly not what they believe it to be. Why would God require you to prove yourself, for gods own amusement?

Creatures that have been around for millions of years before mankind. I've often wondered if their fangs have been pulled or clipped prior to such rituals. Everyone of them I have ever disturbed by coming up on in a surprising manner were well prepared to strike unless they had a quick avenue of escape. Copperheads are not that venomous, but a timber rattler bite left untreated could very well put someone into the next world.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

I grew up in the southern Appalachian mountains of Tennessee, and i've seen such strangeness, and yet.. they have so little faith that they put lightning rods on their churches..

Be well..
Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi
Greetings..

I grew up in the southern Appalachian mountains of Tennessee, and i've seen such strangeness, and yet.. they have so little faith that they put lightning rods on their churches..

Be well..

Greetings TzuJanLi

Tennessee is a very beautiful place and I've often thought of retiring somewhere in the eastern part of that state, maybe near Knoxville. I can't decide between there and the Jackson River Valley of Virginia.

As far as the snake handling, I've often wondered if this a carry over of some other ancient snake ritual. I know some Indian tribes that had snake dances where live rattlesnakes were carried by the dancers.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Quintessence

Some of you seem to not understand the meaningfulness behind these kinds of rites of passage. I don't blame you, really; it's a cultural norm to be averse to any kinds of rites that may involve seriously challenging yourself or risk of harm. It's something I find kind of sad. I find this practice amazing and beautiful.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Some of you seem to not understand the meaningfulness behind these kinds of rites of passage. I don't blame you, really; it's a cultural norm to be averse to any kinds of rites that may involve seriously challenging yourself or risk of harm. It's something I find kind of sad. I find this practice amazing and beautiful.
I think so too - I don't think I'd ever be able to do it; but I admire those who have enough trust and faith in their beliefs to.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Quintessence

I like snakes, so on that alone I would probably do it. *laughs* Plus if you are doing it as part of a proper ceremony, if you get bitten you have people standing by to give you the correct medical attention. The snake bite in itself would be quite the initatory experience! I got stung by an insect for the first time in my life this past summer. It wasn't even in a ritual context and I felt like I'd gone through some rite of passage to learn mysteries about pain.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Wisa'ka

I have no objections to what these people do. If they want to chance getting bit by a venomous viper,(which they often do) or drink strychnine, by all means let them. Hopefully they don’t involve children in these tests of faith. I have to wonder about the mistreatment of animals as well. Due to over hunting, the timber rattlers are becoming rare in some areas. Wonder what they do with these snakes after the show ?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Master
Their just simple minded people who take the bible literally, some have even died doing these silly rituals.