Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 14-08-2014, 12:22 AM
MrNinjoi

Question Transcendental Meditation

Hello there my name is Phil quite new to this i am just wondering if anybody can give me some views on TM (transcendental meditation ) and how it differs from other meditations thank you also can you give my blog a quick visit and comments would be appreciated
Old 14-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Guide
Meditation is a very broad term. For example, you are in a meditative state whenever you have no or limited sense of time. When you are 100% focused on a task and before you know it, an hour has passed in what felt like 5 min, this is meditation. TM is a form of meditation focused on breathing, relaxing the mind and focusing inward. When done properly and a deep relaxation occurs, you will transcend to a form of higher existence; thoughts become clearer, things that once didn't make sense will now make sense, you may feel a floating sensation, your body may start vibrating in a very pleasant way, you may feel emotions or experience visions. The possibilities are endless. The key to meditation is 100% focus. I good way to start practicing meditation is to focus 100% on your breath. When your mind starts to wonder, bring it back to the breath. Eventually you will feel a slight light headedness. You can then start focusing inward on other things like the chakra system (this is where the fun begins in my opinion)
Old 14-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNinjoi
Hello there my name is Phil quite new to this i am just wondering if anybody can give me some views on TM (transcendental meditation ) and how it differs from other meditations thank you also can you give my blog a quick visit and comments would be appreciated
Hi, Phil. I took the training and have, in the past, done the practice very regularly - and along the way got "checking" (whch the organiation offers). It's a form of mantra meditation with a special way of silently handling the mantra and is a 'non-forcing' and 'non-concentrating' approach. It's taught in a uniform way. If there is a TM center not too far from you, you can get checking and discussion about your practice there.

The practice is essentially physiological and results in deep inner relaxation. You have periods where thoughts and emotions disappear. It isn't a scary thing, but feels natural and soothing. Speaking mentally, it's a path inward.

Tends to be refreshing. Some other forms of mediation do take you in a similar direction. TM is simple to learn because of the teaching system developed for representatives of the organization.

By the way, I do not represent the organization and am not a TM teacher myself.
Old 15-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Master
TM is a system that is very similar to Advanced Yoga Practices. TM is a system of yoga.

Meditation is that meditation. Maybe it is of the breath, mantra or awareness. But there is more, much more. TM includes pranayama work to help supercharge your meditation practice among other things. Samyama which is a very powerful technique. Life becomes samyama and that is a good thing.

TM cost $2500 to learn. Only you can decide if you want to spend that much to learn it.
Old 15-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
TM cost $2500 to learn. Only you can decide if you want to spend that much to learn it.
Is it that much now? For a long time it was "one week's pay" (which meant it was on a sliding scale - if you earned lots, you paid lots, earned less, paid less). Then they were asking a standard $1200 (for adults out of school - less for kids or college students). Possibly some qualified TM teachers will teach for less than $2500... I've heard that's the case.
Old 15-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Master
I started a thread several months ago because I was considering (once and for all) actually taking the classes. For me it's more expensive because I'd have to go to the mainland, have a place to stay, etc.

It was told to me that the cost was $400 for parts of four days. I was ready to do it, mainly because she said that they find a "mantra" for each person and train them to use it.

However, in researching, I found a file that described how the Teachers were trained to give the "mantras". Initially, there were just Male the Female mantras. As time went on, the separated groups by age more.

Here is one link to the Mantra Table through time.

http://www.universelle-lehre.de/mmantras.htm

But, basically, there is no you-specific mantra that is given. It's all in a table.

I also had notes from that same link that described how the instructors were to teach people how to meditate. It sounded suspiciously like__"Reinforce their frustration and tell them to close their eyes and keep trying."

Here is a section of that dialogue suggestor (for the Instructors):

Before you start checking, just one or two minutes listen with interest and patience to the story of his meditation, but only if he is eager to talk, so that he may know that you are interested in him. Otherwise don't embark on questioning and don't try to find the fault in his meditation. Just say: "Yes, but now this will be better," or "All right, we will see how it is."

Many meditators only come for a routine checking with no special complaint. In both cases, whether he complains or not, it will be good to ask him:
" How long have you been meditating?"

"When was the last time you meditated?"
If his answer indicates that he had not been regular or has not meditated for some time, we say:
" It doesn't matter, we will see how you feel after checking."
Always ask:
" About how many minutes have you been meditating each time?"
Whatever he says, we acknowledge by a word:
" Yes, good, fine," etc. and then start checking.

Here is a full link if you're interested in more of it.

http://minet.org/checktoc.html

I just decided that either I was motivated to do those things on my own or I wasn't, and it didn't make sense for me to pay that much money to have someone else tell me "close your eyes and try again"! And I could find the mantra that fit for my age/gender.

Lora
Old 15-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleWalker
I also had notes from that same link that described how the instructors were to teach people how to meditate. It sounded suspiciously like__"Reinforce their frustration and tell them to close their eyes and keep trying."
As much as I do believe the TM organization can fairly be given criticism, I can't really agree with your take on this, Lora. The checking procedure is more a reinforcement of the simplicity and ease of the process, plus a pat on the back for meditating during the checking session and for practicing the technique at home.

In my experience and that of a lot of people I've known, the practice does result in a profoundly relaxing inward state. Can that be achieved without the training? Yes, it has been. The same state, physiologically, has shown up with Buddhist and yoga meditators. If you can get there w/o the training and don't wish the feedback and support of the teacher/checker, then great.

Actually, though, I have no role as a defender of the TM organization... so I'll bow out of this conversation now.
Old 15-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanemon
As much as I do believe the TM organization can fairly be given criticism, I can't really agree with your take on this, Lora. The checking procedure is more a reinforcement of the simplicity and ease of the process, plus a pat on the back for meditating during the checking session and for practicing the technique at home.

Yes, Tanemon, but isn't this something I can give myself just as easily? Is the act of paying going to make me better at doing this for myself?

Lora
Old 16-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Master
While I don't practice TM, I am very appreciative of all of the work and research they are doing.

This is the David Lynch Foundation. A great site for research on meditation and some great videos on how TM has helped in schools, prisons, PTSD for veterans and more.