Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 20-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Energy is a word that we who speak English use, in Chinese it is called ' Chi ' in Japanese it's called ' Ki ' other languages you can google yourself.

So Bodhidharma used ' Chi ' because he was in China so we could say Bodhidharma taught ' Chi Practices ' Now why did he teach these ' Chi Practices ' ....
He observed the Shaolin Monks where falling asleep during Meditation because they had no ' Energy ' or no ' Chi '. He invented a set of exercises to enhance their ' Energy ' or ' Chi ' These practices are called 'Energy 'or ' Chi Practises or Qigong.

What is Qigong?
Qigong is an ancient energy practice passed down by ancient masters who understood the interconnections inherent in the Universe and between man and nature. They understood how certain movements and postures could rebalance the body, mind, and spirit by connecting to Universal energy. The life force or energy that animates everything in the universe and your body is the very essence of Qigong. It’s no surprise to learn that TCM doctors were Qigong masters. Qigong is not physical exercise. It moves beyond the muscle and tissue and works in your body at the energy level.

That's very informative, thank you. :)

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 20-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
He never taught Martial Arts to defend oneself, he taught it to enhance their ' Energy ' or ' Chi '.

How do you know? Got any links to Bodhidharma teachings about martial arts? From what I read it was for physical exercise. I know it was not to enhance their energy or chi as he did not use these words.
Old 20-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi
Wow, that would be very interesting and something new that I had never thought about. Would you be able to find a scholarly reference for this to show us?

Yes of course.
18 Louhan Hands. Louhan in Chinese means Arhat. Also the Eight Brocade which takes 8 movements out of the 18 in Louhan Hands.

http://shaolin-training.com/about-ch...n-lohan-hands/

Here is one site which shows you Video's but you can google more info if your interested.
Old 20-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Suspended

According to Taoist, Buddhist, and Confucian philosophy, qigong allows access to higher realms of awareness, awakens one's "true nature", and helps develop human potential.[4]

Qigong practice typically involves moving meditation, coordinating slow flowing movement, deep rhythmic breathing, and calm meditative state of mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong

Moving meditation, higher realms of awareness, once again, not one mention of the word "energy."Now days, energy is a new age word. It's just a stand in for how one is acting and feeling. Like "Hey man what's your energy like today?"

So today, we say, go meditate it will change your energy.
In Bodhidharma's time, he would have said it will change your nature.

It's basically our current state of being.
Old 20-07-2018, 06:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
I just googled it and this came up:

Your therapist combines "angelic" energy with specific hand positions and light acupressure in various locations on the physical body. This treatment is ideal to clear accumulated energy blocks. Through releasing these blocks, you will begin to feel more self-empowered, spiritually connected, and able to move through life more easily. This treatment is done fully clothed.
50 minutes $90, 80 minutes $140

So for 100 bucks somebody clears your energy blocks.... lol

So say somebody believes in that stuff..... then they say.... hey Bodhidharma taught the same thing.....

Yea very wrong and misleading.

While you do make valid points, I also like to add that just because there are misguided charlatans out there taking advantage of people's naivete, it does not mean that there are no actual practitioners of TCM/Qi Gong/accupuncture and other modalities that are there dedicated to healing and not about making big bucks.

In my city we have a healing collective day where various healers come together to offer their services such as TMC, Reiki, Qi Gong, Accupuncture, Sound Therapy, Hypno therapy, etc. This is offered to people at low cost and a sliding scale and sometimes no cost. Often people would like to barter for goods as well (a sandwich a scarf etc.). One Reiki master from England has a practice of asking his clients to set the price asking them, "Give me what you think my service is worth." He would accept anything big or small while providing the same service. And my personal practice of energy healing work is either free or people give me what they like to offer, maybe a nice home cooked meal, or a ride to the grocery store, etc. To me and to those I know, it's all about love, cooperation, and building a happy healthy community, but I'm what people might call a hippee not an entrepreneur. =P

Old 20-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Master
Quote:
How do you know? Got any links to Bodhidharma teachings about martial arts? From what I read it was for physical exercise. I know it was not to enhance their energy or chi as he did not use these words.

I know because I teach his Qigong Form. I have practised for 20+ years and taught for 8+, I know all I need to know to be able to teach.
You seem to be missing the point either to cause disruption or you genuinely are closed minded.

What does physical exercise do to you or others..... It makes you healthy/ stronger both physically and mentally. Doesn't it give you more ' Energy '..... Qigong is an inner and outer ' Energy ' or ' Chi ' practise, some Forms taught and invented by Bodhidharma......
Old 20-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Suspended

Quote:
He observed the Shaolin Monks where falling asleep during Meditation

Yes so he told them to go outside and do some kung fu.To wake up, get their blood flowing!

But yea one can't fall asleep doing walking or moving meditation, they would hurt themselves.

Even better is being self aware at all times, like while sweeping the floor or washing the dishes. Then one is "meditating" or being self aware always. One doesn't set aside a time for it. That's what Bodhidharma said, do it always.

Make it your nature. He said that was the only important thing. Know your nature. Scriptures, practices, all worthless he said. The point was to know your nature. Without that, all the studying and practicing was pointless.

That's one odd thing about what people are alluding to... that Bodhidharma would be teaching some conceptual thing. The only thing he was concerned with is people discovering their nature. Telling them to look within.

There's a huge difference between saying:

Find your true nature.

and

Find your energy.

One refers to self, (your true nature) the other to a concept of something a self has. (your energy)

I doubt Bodhidharma would have used the word energy even if it existed in his time. It does not refer back to the consciousness itself, the me or I. It is conceptually something I have, not something I am. My true nature refers to me.
Quote:
If you don’t see your nature, invoking Buddhas, reciting sutras, making offerings, and keeping precepts are all useless. Bodhidharma
http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Budd...ODHIDHARMA.htm
Old 20-07-2018, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
you genuinely are closed minded.

It's not close minded to point out the fact that the word "energy" did not exist during Bodhidharama life time. It's a greek word. Close minded would be to insist it did.
Old 20-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Master
Quote:
It's not close minded to point out the fact that the word "energy" did not exist during Bodhidharama life time. It's a greek word. Close minded would be to insist it did.

Is it possible that while the word "energy" did not existed in ancient times, the existence of energy itself and the conceptualization/understanding of it by those living in those times exists?

Old 20-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Yes of course.
18 Louhan Hands. Louhan in Chinese means Arhat. Also the Eight Brocade which takes 8 movements out of the 18 in Louhan Hands.

http://shaolin-training.com/about-ch...n-lohan-hands/

Here is one site which shows you Video's but you can google more info if your interested.

Thank you for the reference! My mandarin is a bit rusty, but I definitely recall hearing "Louhan" in temples and in movies. I never knew it meant Arhat, lol. You are just a wealth of information!