Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 16-08-2011, 01:42 PM
mattie

Catholic Priest Faces Expulsion For Supporting Female Priests

A Catholic priest has been ordered to recant his support of female priests or risk dismissal from the priesthood.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_922711.html
Old 16-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Ascender
Stoopid Catholic Heirarchy.
Old 16-08-2011, 09:43 PM
flutterangel

I was baptised Catholic, and have seriously been questioning it. Too the point that my 9 year old daughter celebrated First Communion, and now I have been torn whether to have my 6 year old son go through it. I just don't agree with so much!!
Good for you Father.
Old 16-08-2011, 10:42 PM
sprinter

Um,, let me just explain something, for those who either live a sheltered life or haven't left home yet and might not yet be aware how the world works.

When you join an organization and agree to abide by the rules of that particular organization (any organization) and then you turn around break or challenge the rules of that organization, you should not be surprised if there are consequences (ejection or punishment) to your actions.

Happens everyday in the real world, why such a fuss in this case ?
Old 17-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter
Um,, let me just explain something, for those who either live a sheltered life or haven't left home yet and might not yet be aware how the world works.

When you join an organization and agree to abide by the rules of that particular organization (any organization) and then you turn around break or challenge the rules of that organization, you should not be surprised if there are consequences (ejection or punishment) to your actions.

Cause many people are not lemmings. They will speak out against a wrong... especially if it's the wrong is being carried out by one's own organization.

I can think of quite a few examples of this too... if you join an organization when you're young, and then as you grow, you realize that what they're doing is wrong. Do you just stay quiet and follow the rules? Or do you speak out against the wrong? Or just leave?

A couple of extreme examples are the KKK and the Nazi political party.
Old 17-08-2011, 02:05 AM
iolite

This particular Pope is a staunch hardline conservative. When anyone tries to change something, whether it is congregation, priests, or nuns.. it is met with the same response "no -- my way or the highway". When it gets to the point that the Vatican has dwindling supply of priests and congregants, it will still be the same. This old dinosaur (the catholic church) needs to just die.
Old 17-08-2011, 08:08 AM
sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triner
Cause many people are not lemmings. They will speak out against a wrong... especially if it's the wrong is being carried out by one's own organization.

I can think of quite a few examples of this too... if you join an organization when you're young, and then as you grow, you realize that what they're doing is wrong. Do you just stay quiet and follow the rules? Or do you speak out against the wrong? Or just leave?

A couple of extreme examples are the KKK and the Nazi political party.

Why jump to such conclusions Triner?
I have not said people are/should be lemmings or anybody is wrong, which leaves your arguement all dressed up but sadly nowhere to go.

My question stands, extreme examples included.
Old 17-08-2011, 10:52 AM
mattie

Presumptive In Need To Explain

misposted......
Old 17-08-2011, 10:53 AM
mattie

Curious Need To Explain

Quote:

Quite a view of what might apply to others' assessment of this issue that is presumed to be deficient (sheltered life, living w/ parents, unaware of how world works) who might be interested in this article for various reasons. I’m not sure how living w/ one’s parents impairs one’s reasoning & intellectual ability.

Others likely don't need this 'explained,' being very able to form their own POV. Assuming that they do need it explained is presumptive.

Quote:

A statement in favor of an organization’s own members not having the right to question its institution's beliefs. Institutional infallibility.

That others join a particular religion doesn’t abrogate their right to desire change in that religion. Change occurs by those who are members of a religion. It may be a novel idea that there are many who aren’t sheltered, are fully self sufficient & on their own, & are very knowledgable about how the ‘world works’ that are in favor of organized religion being flexible about women serving in ALL meaningful positions.

The authoritarian take it or leave it view of organized religion has caused many have opted to leave organized religion. So be it. Works for me!!!

There are many who haven’t been sheltered, have been on their own for quite some time, & are fully aware of how the ‘real world’ works who feel that a religion’s main figures such as priests who are very involved in it are ✥✥✥ EXACTLY ✥✥✥ the ones who should have a say in it’s beliefs.
Old 17-08-2011, 11:14 AM
mattie

Lemming Is Apt Example Of Unquestioningly Accepting Beliefs

The lemmings example is NOT ‘confused.’ It’s actually a quite apt simile.

That people are supposedly not allowed to question an organization’s beliefs or have a voice in changing beliefs is what I’m fairly sure is meant by people not being ‘lemmings.’

I’m hard pressed to see how the interpretation of the statement, ‘When you join an organization and agree to abide by the rules of that particular organization (any organization) and then you turn around break or challenge the rules of that organization, you should not be surprised if there are consequences (ejection or punishment) to your actions.’ is jumping to a conclusion. Although the claim is made that this doesn’t say anyone is wrong, this is EXACTLY what this statement says.

This statement says very specifically that once one joins an organization they are bound by the rules of that organization & should expect (deserve?) expulsion if breaking these rules. Interpreting this that one is required to act as a ‘lemming’ by not questioning these rules isn’t odd.

One of the meanings of lemming is ‘a person who unthinkingly joins a mass movement.’ It isn’t a stretch that a lemming is a person who doesn’t think after joining an organization, going along unthinkingly & unquestioningly w/ the dogma.

Religious beliefs have actually always changed if one looks at history & quite a bit. This is virtually always accomplished by those who are IN the organization as those who are outside of the organization seldom care what the beliefs are.