Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 15-09-2013, 01:50 AM
ShivaFan

Who is Your Ishta Devata?

Namaste

In Hinduism, there is the tradition of having one's Ishta Lord or Ishta Devata - that is, your "personal" Divinity of devotion, often center to one's personal shrine but not necessarily the same as the main Murti or Divinity Form at the local temple you most frequent, nor necessarily the same Murti(s) of your Family Shrine or "clan" deity, region or realm (or village), etc..

For example, though I am a Saiva, my Ishta Lord is Hanuman. Ganesha is the Ishta Devata of my wife.

So I am asking those Hindus of this forum so we share and enjoy: Who is your Ishta Devata?

Om Namah Sivaya
Old 15-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Master
Krishna is my ishta devata
Old 15-09-2013, 11:01 AM
ShivaFan

Wonderful Peteyzen!

i wanted to share with you my favorite art work of Krsna by artist Ravi Varma, but i am still a newbie on this forum and cannot yet post attachments. But soon I will.

Namaste Hindus, please proclaim yours too! With joy, and also respect fellows! What a Fellowship is our Family. There is a tradition in the Name. By simply putting the Name before others, great benefit and heartful reward and peace and joy is your result in your soul.

Say the name of your Ishta Lord, become that which you love that is long in time and not short in material world. Be it as well, why not be brave, and why be shy?

Om Namah Sivaya
Old 15-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Mayflow

Cherished divinity? All of them. Arjuna the reluctant warrior, Krishna the superlative Blue God, Indra, Vishnu, and Shiva too! I think I be like peteyZen because of the way that Krishna can dance in the skies and that sort of thing.
Talk about dancing with the stars!
Old 15-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Master

My ishTa devatA is gaNesha.
Old 15-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Mayflow

What would life be without crazy enlightened elephants?
Old 15-09-2013, 07:02 PM
ShivaFan

Namaste Mayflow

You sound like a busy devotee with so many Ishta Lords, Krishna, Indra, etc., which busy can be good.

If you are looking towards dancing with the stars, look no further than Nataraj!

In Chidambaram is one of the most famous temples to Nataraj, Who is the Lord of Dance as Shiva, and in the inner sanctum of this temple along with Nataraj are two sheaths made of leaves like walls you can pass through. Inbetween these two sheaths is a deity of the Divine, but there is nothing there - it is akasha (aether, as represented as empty space). It is also the akashik record of all times before.

Even "crazy elephants" as is the terms you used. Are you a Hindu? I am. The first One who adopted me was Ganapati, Who is perhaps the One you call crazy. He is the Pati or General of the Ganas. The Universe is indeed large, and many are looking here and there. Ganapati is also a great dancer, some say even better than Nataraj Himself. Some call the dance crazy. Some call it beautiful.

Namaste Kris!

Ganesha is wonderful! Vinayaka Chaturthi or Ganesh Chaturthi started a few days ago on the Monday the 9th. After the tenth day, as with many Hindus, I will take a clay murti of Ganesha and bid "goodbye" by merging this form into a river so it becomes one with the rest. Mine, I made out of natural clay. It is a wonderful ceremony. Do you practice it?

Namaste all Hindus! Now who is Your Ishta Devata?

Om Namah Sivaya
Old 15-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Master

Namaste ShivaFan,

I fast of vinayaka chaturthi and do gaNesha pujA, which I do everyday. 10/11 days of gaNesha celebration is a blessed time and my favorite time of the year. May shri gaNesha bestow his grace upon you and yours always.
Old 22-09-2013, 04:36 AM
Newbie ;)

I am still a beginning Hindu so I am not yet sure Who is my Ishta Devata. I only know of Krishna so far, but I think He could be mine.

This is a wonderful topic! I feel the Joy! to ShivaFan and you all!
Old 22-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Mayflow

http://www.bhagavad-gita.us