Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 19-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Mayflow

Theism

It is like Jungian psychology! it comes from within and is metaphoric of mental activities. You see gods and goddesses because your mind has created same. Do you see the implications? Your own mind, like mine is a creative process. Polytheism allows an unlimited creative vista, which would seem more constrained in monotheism.

All the Jehovas, (and to go more Eastern) Brahmas and Krishnas and Indras, and Quan Yins, are merely symbols of the multiple aspects of our own minds which we share quite deeply within.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 25-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
It is like Jungian psychology! it comes from within and is metaphoric of mental activities. You see gods and goddesses because your mind has created same. Do you see the implications? Your own mind, like mine is a creative process. Polytheism allows an unlimited creative vista, which would seem more constrained in monotheism.

All the Jehovas, (and to go more Eastern) Brahmas and Krishnas and Indras, and Quan Yins, are merely symbols of the multiple aspects of our own minds which we share quite deeply within.

Any thoughts on this?
That makes sense that a religion with multiple gods may allow more creative expression of ourselves. But even though Hinduism has multiple gods, a family usually has only one of those gods as their deity as far as I know. The god may be an expression of that family, and another family will have a different god that expresses their own unique personality.

But just because monotheism has only one god, I wouldn't be quick to judge it as 'one track minded' or non creative. I would think different aspects of humans can be expressed through a single god. Since the individual/family/group has different characteristics, their view of God will reflect those traits.
Old 26-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow

Any thoughts on this?

I disagree that monotheism necessarily has a limited creative vista. The concept of an objective, whether it be truth or purpose, does not mean that it's less creative. It's just not for everyone, hence hints of polytheist psychology in monotheist faiths: choirs of angels, specific saints, honored boddhisattvas, reincarnated names and lifetimes of one ultimate creator/destroyer god Shiva...and, I'm sure, there's some interpretive objectives in polytheism.

But all in all, I agree. I think this video demonstrates "the simulacrum" of god or gods very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbXJC6KsYWs

Great topic!
Old 26-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Mayflow

Thanks. Good watch.

This can be looked at in many ways. Polytheism can be seen as different faces of the one Universal or Mutltiversal God or Mind. The different Gods, Godesses, or other deities can also be seen as different aspects of our own minds.

Our own minds could also be seen as all being parts of the one greater mind - or even as a hologram or possibly fractals all encompassing the whole.

Indra's Magnificent Jeweled Net
A traditional Buddhist and Hindu story.

Far, far away, in the abode of the great god Indra, king of heaven, hangs a wondrous vast net, much like a spider's web in intricacy and loveliness. It stretches out indefinitely in all directions. At each node, or crossing point, of the net hangs a single glittering jewel. Since the net itself is infinite in dimension, the jewels are infinite in number. The sparkling jewels hang there, suspended in and supported by the net, glittering like stars, dazzling to behold.

Close your eyes, now, and imagine what this magnificent jeweled net looks like, spread across the vast expanse of space. Now, keep your eyes closed and move in close to one jewel in the net. Look closely, and you will see that the polished surface of the gem reflects all the other jewels in the net, infinite in number, just as two mirrors placed opposite each other reflect an image ad infinitum. Each jewel reflected in this gem you are gazing into also reflects all the other jewels, so that the process of reflection is itself infinite.

Now open your eyes, and know that you are a sparkling jewel in Indra's Net, as is every person around you. Every jewel is connected with all the other jewels in the net; every person is intimately connected with all the other persons in the universe. Each has an independent place within the net and we all reflect and influence each other. A change in one jewel—or person—produces a change, however slight, in every other. Realize, too, that the infinite reflections speak to the illusory nature of appearances. Appearances are not, in fact, reality, but only a reflection; the true nature of a thing is not to be captured in its appearance. However powerful that appearance might be, it is yet only a reflection of what is real.

In addition, whatever you do to one jewel affects the entire net, as well as yourself. You cannot damage one strand of a spider web without injuring the entire web, and you cannot damage one strand of the web that is the universe without injuring all others in it, whether that injury is known or unknown to them. This can work for good or ill because, of course, just as destructive acts affect the entire net, so do loving, constructive, compassionate acts affect the entire net. A single helpful act—even a simple act of kindness—will send positive ripples across the infinite net, touching every jewel, every person in existence.