Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 23-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Master

Posture is so much

Having come out of a back injury - thankfully it is 99% ok now - I'm realising how much of our life revolves around a good posture.

I had zero flexibility in my hips before I started with my physio, he got me to do simple exercises, stand against a wall, arms up touching the wall and then to press the back into the wall trying to lift my hips towards my ribs. Then it progressed to doing this whilst standing in queues / lines.

I've noticed a better profile - sure I still have my belly fat but it is more streamlined if I stand like that and better still, I have a mobility in my hips. really really important.

Then there is the hunched shoulders - I'm workingi on that by standing against the wall and moving my arms above my head whilst keeping my shoulders and elbows against the wall. Wall angels I'm told. This is a killer, it sounds simple and I can't do it!

I think I will look taller - as a result of these and be more in line with how we were meant to carry ourselves in life. It's proving a challenge tho!

Anyone else got posture tips? That will a) not only look good for the now but b) prevent degeneration of sorts in later life?
Old 27-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Knower

Qigong of some kind might be worth looking into.
Old 29-09-2013, 07:10 AM
Master
that's great for you! I'm beginning to realize how important posture is too.
one thing I heard of a while back is called the Alexander Technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohm3Fm-iG9k
Old 31-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Kathleen Brugger

I've also learned the importance of good posture in the last year. I had intermittent numbness in my hands and feet. Finally I went to a chiropractor and he did an adjustment, then gave me some booklets with exercises. They're really simple and they work.

I did them until the numbness quit, then stopped. Now it's back a little bit so I'm thinking of starting the exercises again. I've looked online so I could recommend the booklets but they only sell them in packs of 12!

It's called "Neck and Shoulder Rehabilitative Exercises" (but it's really about posture) and its sold by a company called OPTP.
Old 25-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Experiencer
Posture is an essential part of spiritual practice. The bodymind is a two way street. Your thoughts and feeling feed into your posture, but your posture feeds back into your thoughts and feelings too. In addition, full time awareness of posture is an essential awareness anchor.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Master
its amazing how much can be learned from a wall! in one of my yoga classes, the instructor had all of us stand with our back against the wall to do our side bends etc. what a difference it made. you don't realize how much you are slouching until you are up against a flat surface. now when I am in class I try to keep that wall in mind when I do the asanas. :)
Old 09-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Stillness_Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker89
Qigong of some kind might be worth looking into.
Yes, works for me. The posture is much better.
Old 28-07-2014, 06:15 AM
CJ82Sky

hmm, this is interesting. i don't have great posture and work from home on the computer. trying to better understand the link between posture and spirituality, as this may also have something to do with why i am blocked and having issues losing weight and moving past some issues in my own past as well.

i am going to keep checking in here to see more replies and follow along - thank you all for your input and allowing me to participate in this conversation. i think it will really help me!!! and to the op - good luck and thank you for sharing!
Old 28-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Master
My kripalu instructor is always impressing upon us the importance of a straight spine. She says that energy needs a clear channel from the base through the crown. If you think about it, it makes sense. :)
Old 30-07-2014, 09:02 AM
RexyBelief

Any tips that can improve posture for someone who sits at a desk for 8 hours a day?