Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 23-03-2011, 02:46 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
These are Tibetan Buddhist practices and there are cultural add-ons and much over-emphasis on gurus in that tradition.

Forest Tradition Theravadins like myself study the Buddha's teachings in the Pali Canon and meditate. This is free from superstition, rituals and later add-ons to the Dhamma.

You are right there, but these things were added just because the Theravada practice comes across as emotionally cold, detached, intellectual, which makes it difficult for so many people.
While it may be the purest form of Buddhism it is not for nothing that it is called the "small vehicle" because only few travelers are able to climb on board.
Old 23-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Experiencer
The Theravada Thai Forest Tradition is far from being emotionally cold, detached and intellectual. "Small vehicle" and 'Hinayana' are pejorative terms used by the Mahayana tradition to describe Theravada, unfortunately.
Old 26-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Master
Buddhism is a great combination with Christianity. They are perhaps very close in what the Holy Spirit is. Even if Buddhism doesn't call it the Holy Spirit.

In Buddhism all things are consciousness and energy.

Well in Christianity you have The Logos- the principle behind all Creation which is what? The Divine Energy/Consciousness which is the Holy Spirit which was fully incarnate in Jesus the Christ.

Buddha can be a Saint for Christianity especially Catholicism. But do not confuse Buddha with Christ. A Buddha is not "A" Christ. There were many christs, or anointed ones in the Old Testament as King David, Solomon, and King Cyrus. These be as Buddhas, or Saints. Where as Jesus was the "Christ, the Son of God" a completely different thing, the one who would save his people and the Earth from sin and self. A lot of new agers like to jumble up Jesus with Krishna and Buddha. As much as all Truth is One, Jesus is not the same as Buddha. Loving one another, compassion, and grace is what they taught. But what makes them different is NOT what they taught. It is who they are! Jesus from a transcendent level can bestow Grace unto human souls in the flesh. Buddha did not become the Mediator between God and Man, but he is a Mediator between the Christ/Christ Consciousness and Man.
Old 26-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Elijah

There's no difference, just different stories people place to much literal meaning upon.
Saying Buddha is not a Christ is missing the point, in reality there is neither a Buddha nor Jesus (self) to compare.
Old 27-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amilius777
In Buddhism all things are consciousness and energy.

In Buddhism all things are anicca, dukkha and anatta......in other words change/impermanence, unsatisfactoriness/stressl/suffering, and not-self.

Quote:
Listening to Thoughts

"In opening the mind, or 'letting go', we bring attention to one point on just watching, or being the silent witness who is aware of what comes and goes. Wit this vipassana (insight) meditation, we're using the three characteristics of Anicca (change), dukkha (un-satisfactoriness), Anatta (not self) to observe mental and physical phenomena. We're freeing the mind from blindly repressing, so if we become obsessed with any trivial thoughts or fears, or doubts, worries or anger, we don't need to analyze it. We don't have to figure out why we have it, but just make it fully conscious."

Continued here:

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books3/Ajahn_Sumedho_Listening_to_Thoughts.htm

Old 27-03-2011, 10:10 PM
nventr

Catholicism and Buddhism are similar and thus compatible because they follow the chakras from the crown to the root. Both also begin in the darkness and move toward the light. Jesus was transfigured. Buddha's attainment was the rising of the sun.

Buddhism is not compatible with Protestant or Jewish because these religions follow the traditional Hindu or Alchemic path of opening the chakras from the base to the crown. The Alchemic path begins in the light and culminates in the darkness or the Black Madonna.

It is OK to mix and match spiritual practices from religions that go in the same direction along the chakra system. They will complement each other and give the student a richness and depth that they would not find if they stayed in only one religion.

It is detrimental to the psyche and the mental stability of the student to mix practices from religions that move in opposite directions to each other. You can create anything from temporary confusion to permanent schizophrenia.

example: If you follow the premise that God provides all, then saying prayers that basically beg for things or attributes is confusing and conflicting. It feels like begging for clothes to wear while being fully dressed.
Old 27-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Master
nventr - I find your theoretical take on studying religions that are compatible educational, comforting and confirming with my views. I do also agree with you when you state that conflicting religions can cause mental anguish at the least. Thank you for your thought-provoking post. Perhaps it will give pause for further consideration to anyone that may be straddling the fence on the issue.

Blackraven
Old 28-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nventr
Catholicism and Buddhism are similar and thus compatible because they follow the chakras from the crown to the root. Both also begin in the darkness and move toward the light. Jesus was transfigured. Buddha's attainment was the rising of the sun.

As a Buddhist who has been a teacher in a Catholic school I can say with certainty that Catholicism and Buddhism are not similar. Nor did Lord Buddha teach about "chakras" or a 'chakra system'.

It is best not to try and mix and match beliefs in general, if we seek freedom and clarity and if we wish to study the Dhamma taught by the Buddha. Better to empty the mind of everything else and start afresh. Why add on unnecessary and inaccurate material? The Buddha-Dhamma is complete in itself.

Kind regards,

Samana
Old 28-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
As a Buddhist who has been a teacher in a Catholic school I can say with certainty that Catholicism and Buddhism are not similar. Nor did Lord Buddha teach about "chakras" or a 'chakra system'.

It is best not to try and mix and match beliefs in general, if we seek freedom and clarity and if we wish to study the Dhamma taught by the Buddha. Better to empty the mind of everything else and start afresh. Why add on unnecessary and inaccurate material? The Buddha-Dhamma is complete in itself.

Kind regards,

Samana

Samana - What were your reasons for converting completely from Catholicism to Buddhism, if you don't mind saying?

Blackraven
Old 28-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Experiencer
Hi Blackraven,

Privately I was never a Christian myself, although I was happy to respect the beliefs of others if necessary.

I became interested in Buddhism from when I was a teenager and automatically considered myself 'Buddhist' - there was never anything to convert from or to convert to !

with kind wishes,

S.