Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 24-04-2020, 01:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Theosis sounds like it is describing the unction. Which is to say the anointing
or The Christ. A union with The Father through the Holy Spirit.

Welcome to Christianity
Old 28-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Actually the oldest written texts on anything related to spirituality is about non duality. Old before Abraham was a twinkle in his fathers eye..

Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, (Muslim)Sufism,(Jewish) Kabbalah and many, many more.

Are you familiar with Theosis in Easter Orthodox Christianity?

Nobody is talking about disassociation.. nor is any of this New Age

Maybe some writings from Saint Symeon will help.

i'm ok with non-duality, its the tension between the two thats interesting
i just object to the idea we are so exalted we create our own reality! i don't see that is true at all as if the universe bends to our will. come on, you must have seen the sales pitch - you dictate your own reality, but you wake up the same person as before in the same world. i think its a bit silly but also a bit dangerous because then, you are liable to assume the world you experience is how you wanted it to be, when it isn't, that's cognitive dissonance and makes a person lash out against a perceived enemy - even if they believe in non-duality LOL. its easier just to admit you don't dictate your own reality then you're at peace. just my thought on this.
Old 29-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
i'm ok with non-duality, its the tension between the two thats interesting
i just object to the idea we are so exalted we create our own reality! i don't see that is true at all as if the universe bends to our will. come on, you must have seen the sales pitch - you dictate your own reality, but you wake up the same person as before in the same world. i think its a bit silly but also a bit dangerous because then, you are liable to assume the world you experience is how you wanted it to be, when it isn't, that's cognitive dissonance and makes a person lash out against a perceived enemy - even if they believe in non-duality LOL. its easier just to admit you don't dictate your own reality then you're at peace. just my thought on this.

There are few aspects to dictating your own reality.

The first is where people are talking about you. How you think, behave, etc dictates the world around you. At one level people use this to sell and promote things like the Law of Attraction, to sell you on getting what you want.

Yet how you think about things, how you react to others, your desires, etc does dictate and have a major impact on your reality.

At a much deeper level as talking about in many traditions you are that which is infinite potential. It is something beyond all the wants and desires of the ego mind. Such a realization is a Christ, tell a mountain to move and it will move. Being one like Siva in Hinduism, a Buddha, a Realized Immortal in Taoism, Adam Kadmon in Kabbalism/Mystical Christianity.

The Tao Te Ching talks about it here:

Know the strength of man,
But keep a woman's care!
Be the stream of the universe!
Being the stream of the universe,
Ever true and unswerving,
Become as a little child once more.
Know the white,
But keep the black!
Be an example to the world!
Being an example to the world,
Ever true and unwavering,
Return to the infinite.
Know honor,
Yet keep humility.
Be the valley of the universe!
Being the valley of the universe,
Ever true and resourceful,
Return to the state of the uncarved block.
When the block is carved, it becomes useful.
When the sage uses it, he becomes the ruler.
Thus, "A great tailor cuts little."

TTC - Chapter 28
Old 29-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Master
Quote:
26. Jesus said, "You see the sliver in your friend's eye, but you don't see the timber in your own eye. When you take the timber out of your own eye, then you will see well enough to remove the sliver from your friend's eye.

Any thoughts?
Old 29-04-2020, 01:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Any thoughts?
I’ve always believed in the essence of this one. Sort myself out first, start in my own back yard, and when that is completely clear then and only then look at what other people need to clear.
Old 29-04-2020, 01:39 PM
Master
Double post
Old 29-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
I’ve always believed in the essence of this one. Sort myself out first, start in my own back yard, and when that is completely clear then and only then look at what other people need to clear.

Any more thoughts on the last part?

Quote:
then you will see well enough to remove the sliver from your friend's eye.

Being able to remove the timber/obstruction from another?
Old 29-04-2020, 02:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Any more thoughts on the last part?

Being able to remove the timber/obstruction from another?

Some people see only the faults, in most cases the faults are small (slivers), that other people have but do not realize they might have some serious faults (timbers).

Once you take care of your own (big/timber) problems, then you can take help take care of another person problems (small/sliver).

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 29-04-2020, 03:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Some people see only the faults, in most cases the faults are small (slivers), that other people have but do not realize they might have some serious faults (timbers).

Once you take care of your own (big/timber) problems, then you can take help take care of another person problems (small/sliver).

Very nice

To me,

When one removes the timber from their own eyes, they see clearer. That clearer seeing is clarity (think Buddhist term) and as a result the light is able to flow, to radiate and help remove the slivers in others.
Old 29-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Master
SPOT ON!

Always a pleasure to hear from you.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.