Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Newbie ;)

In your opinion, what would be the most fluid sequence?

I began doing 1 hour meditations this week, and realized that I could do different practices in 15 minute sets. That way, I can take advantage of different practices, instead of just relying on one.

Right now, I start off with a gazing(candle), for focus. Then I go into a visualization(where I want to be, achieving goals), for motivation. Then I go into a shamata(natural breathing and seated yoga stretches) for peace. But I'm not quite sure what to finish with, or if all of this is even necessary. What I've been doing the last 15 minutes is "opening up", or "receiving" as my mind is clear, and what ever comes up I can let my imagination go where it leads. Do you use multiple practices at a time, or do you give them all "their day"? I have time to meditate for an hour a day, and would like to make the most of it. It's one of the only things in the world that genuinely lives up to it's reputation. Thank you for your time, and your replies.

Last edited by TristanSynth : 11-01-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanSynth
I began doing 1 hour meditations this week, and realized that I could do different practices in 15 minute sets. That way, I can take advantage of different practices, instead of just relying on one.

Right now, I start off with a gazing(candle), for focus. Then I go into a visualization(where I want to be, achieving goals), for motivation. Then I go into a shamata(natural breathing) for peace. But I'm not quite sure what to finish with, or if all of this is even necessary. Do you use multiple practices at a time, or do you give them all "their day"? I have time to meditate for an hour a day, and would like to make the most of it. It's one of the only things in the world that genuinely lives up to it's reputation. Thank you for your time, and your replies.
Do whatever you feel the most comfortable with and what gives you the most benefit.

I wouldn't call these 'different practices', but 'warm up exercises' for the main even of meditation.

I shall share my own techniques, which is what they are, just fluid techniques that lead on from each other and it starts way before the actual time I sit to meditate.

1. Internal/external purification - bathing and doing neti - 30 minutes
2. Doing all my personal prayers and mantras - 15 minutes
3. Doing Anuloma Viloma/Nadi Shodhana Pranayama - 15 minutes
4. Doing Trataka - fixed gazing on a candle or through closed eyelids- 15 minutes.
5. Doing Meditation - 45 minutes.

The whole thing takes about 2 hours if I don't just skip the first two and meditate for only half an hour - bringing it to an hour.

Depends on my mood, I guess.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Newbie ;)

You have an entire system. I don't actively use any mantras. I have mantras, and write them down. But I've never been much of a prayer so I just say them in my head. I'm not sure of how much of an impact spoken mantras have. I haven't given them their due diligence.
Old 23-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Pathfinder
I have a string of numbers that, when applied properly, can provide an awesome journey when your eyes are closed and mental clarity when you are awake. The trick is learning the proper application and just letting your mind do what it do.

You could call it the phone number to the other you. I have had only limited luck sharing it with folks probably because it involves.. following instructions, memorizing 10 numbers and..learning something new