Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 22-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Serrafina

An Old Wives' Tale?

I heard once somewhere that buying your first tarot deck for yourself was bad luck. That's been the main reason that I've waited so long to actually buy one. Is there any stock in this? Anyone heard this before?

(And just so you know, I did recently cave and buy my first deck :P I felt such a connection to it when I saw it that I couldn't resist.)
Old 22-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Guide

Hi Serrafina,

I think I may have heard that before. I've heard lots of little rules for tarot, like that.

Sometimes that works for people.
They find that rules of how to obtain and work with tarot will make them work better and/or be more powerful.
In my opinion what makes the tarot work is something beyond little rules like that, so it is not necessary.
But would be ok to work with such a rule, as long as you feel ok with it.

Since you went and got your own, and it appears you have a great connection already with the cards, I wouldn't worry about it at all, and enjoy your freedom and love and let the cards work for you in that way, which is the way I use them too.

Whatever works!
Old 23-01-2013, 12:09 AM
MYFIGO

I read that too when I first began and it scared me a bit. I wanted to learn so badly that I bought my own. I'm glad you bought a set you couldn't resist! Have fun with it!
Old 23-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Suspended
I read that one is 'supposed' to wrap the cards in a cloth. I threw the superstitions/rules surrounding tarot out along with the tarot guidance booklet.

When I read tarot, I read the story on the cards themselves and bring all the images together into a sort of 'chapter' of a book, if you like.

I was pleasantly surprised how much there is in any one tarot image, once I started looking...and not only with my physical eyes.
Old 23-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Newbie ;)

I bought my first set of tarot cards myself and I'd never heard of someone having to buy them for you. Since my first set, I've bought several more, but, I always feel drawn back to a certain set. Like Serrafina I throw the instruction book away and read what is in the cards and speak what I feel and hear.

I hope you enjoy your set for I'm sure they will bring with them enjoyment to you and others.
Old 23-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Jules

I've always believed that you WERE supposed to buy your own set as you get drawn to the ones you should be working with, and also it's your own energy that's transmuted onto them and no-one elses.
Old 23-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator
I have also heard that you are not supposed to but your own tarot cards. but as i dont like them its not something that i have had any experience with. i have the Native american medicine cards. but i agree with jules.
you pick up a pack of cards and as you hold them you get a sensation whether they feel right to you or not.

Namaste
Old 23-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Serrafina

Wow, I'm actually amazed that people have heard this before! I mentioned this at the Pagan Organization on my college campus, but no one there had heard of it before. My deck is going to come in soon, I can't wait!
Old 23-01-2013, 11:56 PM
green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrafina
I heard once somewhere that buying your first tarot deck for yourself was bad luck. That's been the main reason that I've waited so long to actually buy one. Is there any stock in this? Anyone heard this before?

(And just so you know, I did recently cave and buy my first deck :P I felt such a connection to it when I saw it that I couldn't resist.)

yes, i heard that before, i believe there some historical truth to that story but now days just go and get your tarot deck, on one will give you a tarot deck unless you will ask for it and it would be just as if you got it yourself.
there are many do and don't do regarding tarot cards, but none are solid rules unless you take them upon yourself as such.
keep open and make your own mind instead of let other's fears be your guide.

G
Old 24-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Master
I have no beliefs in bad luck, but I will tell you a story of what happened when I did buy a deck of Tarots. I brought a pack of card on a Friday night, when I shuffled the cards I then picked one card, the card was the death card. I kept thinking of that card throughout the next day, which was Saturday. That night my mates and I went to the drive-inn, it was a bit boring so we went for a drive. We decided to go for a late night swim just out of town, it was about 2 am in the morning, when we go there it was too cold, so we decided to go home. On the way back while I was driving, a figure walked out to the side of the road and shot me. Well there you are, what a big change in my life that was, which the death card also means. Anyway, i ended up burning them lol.