Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 24-03-2020, 04:48 AM
Knower
Mantras

Discovered a mantra recently and thought I would share with you...

Om Mani Padme Hum

I would add some links but I'm still on probation, being the new kid on the block and all.
Old 24-03-2020, 07:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicValet

Om Mani Padme Hum

I would add some links but I'm still on probation, being the new kid on the block and all.

Om mani padme hum is an ancient mantra that is related to the bodhisattva of compassion, Avalokiteshvara.

https://youtu.be/VkeeiEyNPMo
Old 24-03-2020, 08:39 PM
Master
Quote:

Om Mani Padme Hum

When I visited Lhasa, Tibet, in the 1980s, I was more impressed with the spirituality of the Tibetan people than with any other ethnic group anywhere in almost 50 countries that I visited.

In the market place, for example, when a particular vendor had no customers, he/she would simply chant continuously, "Om Mani Padme Hum".

I also met an elderly man whom I asked (through an interpreter, of course) what he did in his spare time. He looked at me incredulously and responded, "I chant" (Om Mane Padme Hum).

Being in the Jokhang Temple in the center of Lhasa was a similarly inspirational experience.

That mantra reverberated continuously both throughout the city itself and even more intensely in the nearby Sera and Drepung monasteries.

Although that is not my personal mantra, it is indeed a mantra that resonates well with me specifically because of my unforgettably very positive experiences in Lhasa, Tibet.

P.S. Welcome to this forum.
Old 25-03-2020, 07:50 PM
Knower
Here are some more if interested...
https://blog.buddhagroove.com/seven-buddhist-mantras/
Old 25-03-2020, 10:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Here are some more if interested...
https://blog.buddhagroove.com/seven-buddhist-mantras/

Nice !

It's important to have a choice of mantras so that one can choose one that really resonates personally. One shoe does not fit all.
Old 27-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Seeker

Thanks for sharing.
Old 28-03-2020, 01:43 PM
Master
I might add that I was not initially drawn to mantra meditation but it worked its way into my life quite naturally and surprisingly. It has become an integral part of my practice.

When I started yoga many years ago, they would regularly do mantra chanting immediately after the yoga postures were completed and I would duck out as quickly as I could to avoid it. However, at times, I would get "stuck" (from my perspective) in a part of the room where a graceful exit was not possible. Every time I got "stuck", it was invariably the same mantra that was chanted as if by divine design. In time, whenever I realized that I was "stuck", I sensed that they would chant that same mantra.... and they invariably did chant that same mantra. I eventually got to anticipate it in those situations and became drawn to it. Needless to say, it became "my mantra".

When I received spiritual initiation from my spiritual mentor, a revered sage of India, she asked if I wanted a mantra. I was hesitant at first because I knew which mantra worked for me but, trusting my teacher, I responded affirmatively. She gave me the same mantra and thus reinforced my belief in that mantra.

Years later, while walking across an open field near the Ganges River at the Khumba Mela in Haridwar (India), I was discussing japa (mantra meditation) versus aarti (devotional practice) with a friend when, suddenly, literally out of nowhere, a sage appeared to us and said the "same mantra" to me directly before disappearing as mysteriously as he had appeared. That was the culminating point in the story of "my mantra". (Regarding the mysterious appearance of that sage, my teacher and others confirmed afterwards that this sage appeared like this from time to time and that everyone knew that... except for me who was understandably stunned by such a manifestation. It was indeed a blessing, as my teacher duly noted.)
Old 29-03-2020, 06:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
When I visited Lhasa, Tibet, in the 1980s, I was more impressed with the spirituality of the Tibetan people than with any other ethnic group anywhere in almost 50 countries that I visited.

In the market place, for example, when a particular vendor had no customers, he/she would simply chant continuously, "Om Mani Padme Hum".

I also met an elderly man whom I asked (through an interpreter, of course) what he did in his spare time. He looked at me incredulously and responded, "I chant" (Om Mane Padme Hum).

Being in the Jokhang Temple in the center of Lhasa was a similarly inspirational experience.

That mantra reverberated continuously both throughout the city itself and even more intensely in the nearby Sera and Drepung monasteries.

Although that is not my personal mantra, it is indeed a mantra that resonates well with me specifically because of my unforgettably very positive experiences in Lhasa, Tibet.

P.S. Welcome to this forum.

Did you ever get to Bhutan?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 30-03-2020, 04:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Did you ever get to Bhutan?

I had planned to go to Bhutan, but never made it there.