Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 27-06-2011, 11:20 PM
LightFilledHeart

New York sides with fairness ...

I see New York voted in favor of same sex marriage. I'm so pleased to see this issue being dealt with fairly. There are several states now who have seen fit to legalize same sex marriage, and I applaud them for having the courage and the fair-mindednesssay to do the right thing.

I am heterosexual, but I've never differentiated between my gay and lesbian friends and my straight friends. I love them and want them to be happy in their lives, careers, and relationships. I have several close friends in same sex unions, and I have watched them have to fight for a simple right the rest of us take for granted...... i.e., choosing the person we love and want to enter into the legally defined union of marriage with! It's simply not fair to deny them that. Love is love, and marriage is a wholesome way to live.

My friend's brother wrote the following, and I think it pretty well sums it up:

So let me get this STRAIGHT...Kelsey Grammer can end a 15yr marriage by phone, Larry King is on divorce #9, Britney Spears had a 55hr marriage, Jesse James & Tiger Woods, while married, were having sex with EVERYONE, 53% of Americans get divorced and 30-60% cheat on their spouses. Yet, same-sex marriage is going to destroy the institution of marriage ? Really ??
Old 28-06-2011, 03:29 AM
HBuck72

I agree, I think the idea that a same sex couple can't get married is laughable, especially since the U.S. Supreme Court has said that marriage is a fundamental right. They ruled this in order to overturn laws banning inter-race marriage, yet somehow same sex marriage is not fundamental, I guess because some people still believe "other people" don't deserve full rights.
Old 28-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Pathfinder

I'm bisexual myself, so the idea of having that option if I end up with someone of the same sex is very relieving. Thank you, New York.

Most of my friends are pretty ecstatic!
Old 28-06-2011, 05:01 AM
earthprowler

I agree, I think it's a wonderful thing that New York is doing along with the other states that have already been doing it. Hopefully more states will follow suit, although there will be some that will not. I have friends that went to Vermont years ago to get married but it is not recognized in Indiana where they live.
Old 28-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Pathfinder

Hey, earthprowler! That's where I'm from too! I have a feeling it'll get there. Unfortunately we're more of a Republican state, so it'll probably take longer. Still. Don't lose hope!
Old 28-06-2011, 02:04 PM
LightFilledHeart

Thanks to all who responded so positively! The bigots and fear-mongers get center stage more often than not, simply by virtue of their being loud and obnoxious! I suspected it would not be that way here on SF, and I was right
Old 29-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Master
I was very happy that they voted in favor. I loved what your friend's brother wrote regarding his thoughts on the matter of denying marriage to gays. NYS was the last state to allow no-fault divorce, I'm glad they weren't the last state to allow gay marriages.
Old 29-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Master
Light filled hear high five and I too am very happy.
Spiritlite.
Old 17-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Master
Hi Lightfilled Heart

I love what your friend wrote. That is hilarious.

zipzip
Old 17-07-2011, 03:24 PM
mattie

Same Sex Marriage Not Destroying Hetrosexual Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightFilledHeart
.....Kelsey Grammer can end a 15yr marriage by phone, Larry King is on divorce #9, Britney Spears had a 55hr marriage, Jesse James & Tiger Woods, while married, were having sex with EVERYONE, 53% of Americans get divorced and 30-60% cheat on their spouses. Yet, same-sex marriage is going to destroy the institution of marriage ? Really ??]

What’s always seemed amusing about the view that same sex marriages are destroying traditional marriage is that it is really heterosexual couples who are choosing to live together w/o a marriage license that are the greatest threat to the institution of marriage, not same sex people who want the being connected by a legal document.

By noting this I’m not in any say saying that couples who choose to live together are doing anything wrong at all.