Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 23-11-2014, 07:07 AM
eileen rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippinAmorette
Is that a rule?

I feel you can make a living at art, if you are mindful to what the commercial market will hold.

If you enjoy the art, then in my viewpoint, do it even if you don't make a lot doing it (just realize you might suffer financially and take extra care, then).

Art can be therapeutic, so it is...in my humble view...invaluable.

I have made a little money doing crafts (it was jewelry making). But I knew already that I usually spent more, than I made (from previous self employment endeavors). For me, once I sold all my pieces, I stopped feeling like I had to sell my work and moved on.

It helped me clear up my own feelings about feeling like I could do something artistic (crafting something feels artistic to me).
That was all I personally needed to feel (i.e. worthy and complete in some way).

All you can do is attempt to sell your work and if it doesn't sell, don't take it personally. Maybe, it never was meant too (be an income generator) in your life....but instead a life rescuer instead (something to keep you moving thru tough times and alive).

Only investigating it will answers your question.
Old 23-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Ivy

Looking at the other replies here, I may have missed the point in the op and read it as, is it necessary to live poorly to be an artist, rather than, can one make money from art.

Like dar said, yes it is possible to make money from art, but there are more artists than buyers... so it isn't possible for every artist to make a living at it.

However, that doesn't mean that artists must live poorly. It may mean that artists need to take jobs that aren't doing their art, in order to pay bills and eat, and continue to create their art after work.
Old 23-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy
Looking at the other replies here, I may have missed the point in the op and read it as, is it necessary to live poorly to be an artist, rather than, can one make money from art.

Like dar said, yes it is possible to make money from art, but there are more artists than buyers... so it isn't possible for every artist to make a living at it.

However, that doesn't mean that artists must live poorly. It may mean that artists need to take jobs that aren't doing their art, in order to pay bills and eat, and continue to create their art after work.

Right ; you don't have to be a preacher or a cult leader to be spiriitual . You don't have to make a living at something to be something
I make some stuff for money , and some stuff for fun . (Metal) artists pay me to make stuff because I'm a better technician at a certain skill than they are , and they're better at selling what they make than I would be . It's a good equation for all involved . In spare time, I get to be more creative , and the things I make then never have to seem like work ; there's no pressure to make money, or make things that need to sell, or please anyone else but me . Also a pretty good equation
Old 23-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Master

Most artists don't care for the material that much and forget to eat and sleep, as for poorly, well someone appreciating their work is worth more.

Of course money helps with the basics, but I feel good when someone enjoys my writing and that is something money can't buy.

I have a friend who self-published and sold her books to people, but few have read them or said they liked it, which is worth more?
Old 23-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Master
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

"Must then a Christ perish in torment in every age to save those that have no imagination?"

These are quotes by George Bernard Shaw.

Imagination in the service of progress might be said to be the role of art, well, I say it is anyways, therefore understanding ones talents, skills and abilities in relation to ones quality of mediumship with due regard for the nature of luck and circumstance in having the artwork find it's home seem to me to be what thriving as an artist is all about.
Old 23-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Master

Quote:
Is that a rule?

I'm sure there are successful artists that make money and are comfortable. But I'd imagine being an artist is like any work force, a few make high salaries where most are wage earners. Now the question is why. I think a person can have a balance of it, have a good job and still peruse one artistry expression. Taking time to develop one skills, maybe take some classes getting and finding teachers just like we do. Just a thought.
Old 23-11-2014, 06:41 PM
PippinAmorette

Yeah I would like to be a writer. I am highly creative, I have always been.
All my life i have struggled hard to not care what others are saying and to really be who I want to be.
I just want to live in my cloud of fantasy and make money doing so. lol
Old 23-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Master

Quote:
Yeah I would like to be a writer. I am highly creative, I have always been.
All my life i have struggled hard to not care what others are saying and to really be who I want to be.
I just want to live in my cloud of fantasy and make money doing so. lol

What about a related field such as journalism even news anchor, something in the field of communication.

I found it interested how you said you struggled with something from the past. We do hold ourselves back. Remember, you had the talent others did not and that is why things might have been said. It was wrong to have happened.
Old 23-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Master
People always ask us what we do.

I used to answer artist. Then it was the least amount possible for the greatest return... but no one really got that either. Now I just answer 'Whatever I want to.'