Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
Im with Psycho on this. Its all about the bird and our love for it and how we treat it. Animals grow spiritually by having a connection to humans who treat them with love. We are after all their next destination on the journey of life

Birds were created to soar through boundless skies. That's why they've got wings!

On your second point, yes, couldn't have put it better myself! Emphasis on the love connection i.e. a bond of friendship, as opposed to an imprisonment.
The pivotal issue in any human-animal relationship.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM
amy green

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
If you love something, Set it free... If it comes back, it's yours, If it doesn't, it never was yours....

I agree with this as it applies to people but to caged birds? As I mentioned in my earlier post, the problem with releasing a bird bred for captivity is that it may well be attacked by wild birds.

It's not just a simple issue of releasing the bird (if you care about its health/future). It would need careful research to establish whether it would stand a chance of surviving e.g is the bird's food source readily available? Much as I put a high value on freedom, since caged birds have probably only known capitivity (maybe through generations), I feel that releasing it into the wild may well prove stressful and thus impact on the bird's health. It pains me to have to say that the external natural environment may no longer be natural for an inbred bird.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Master

Amy: In this instance, the saying has a metaphorical application.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 01-08-2012, 06:55 PM
amy green

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion
Amy: In this instance, the saying has a metaphorical application.

I think lightworker included it here - a thread about caged birds - to be taken literally. i.e. "set it free". Indeed he says as much in his post below this one.

Last edited by amy green : 01-08-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
I agree with this as it applies to people but to caged birds? As I mentioned in my earlier post, the problem with releasing a bird bred for captivity is that it may well be attacked by wild birds.

It's not just a simple issue of releasing the bird (if you care about its health/future). It would need careful research to establish whether it would stand a chance of surviving e.g is the bird's food source readily available? Much as I put a high value on freedom, since caged birds have probably only known capitivity (maybe through generations), I feel that releasing it into the wild may well prove stressful and thus impact on the bird's health. It pains me to have to say that the external natural environment may no longer be natural for an inbred bird.
You cant let let some domesticated pets go, or it might die soon after. I use that thing I posted as my yardstick for the acquisition of new pets.

As much as I keep the cats inside to protect wildlife if I let them go they return freewill.

To me if you could have a bird that chose to return to you and the cage there would not be a problem- That is just my standard for caging, the creature must chose to go inside at some point.

Maybe I am idealistic but could only imagine a day of freedom might be better than a lifetime of captivity for a wild creature.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
If you left the gate open to a pool area, would a child go through and maybe even drown ?.

Its the pool that's caged in, not the child.....big difference......you can't compare a caged bird to a child....if you caged a child....you'd go to jail........I think if you are going to have birds....allow the cage door to be left open and give it the opportunity to use its God given wings......to be a creature of flight with no arms but the wings on your body and have that right taken from you for the pleasure of your beauty is wrong......allow it to fly around, and if you give it love and it acknowledges that love and comes back to the open cage.....well thats a good thing (perhaps?)....I personally couldn't cage a bird again......I did once.....two love birds.....and I neglected to cover their cage one night and both those beautiful little creatures perished......Im a bird murderer.....I sure hope they can forgive me........
Old 02-08-2012, 01:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly1
Its the pool that's caged in, not the child.....big difference......you can't compare a caged bird to a child....if you caged a child....you'd go to jail........I think if you are going to have birds....allow the cage door to be left open and give it the opportunity to use its God given wings......to be a creature of flight with no arms but the wings on your body and have that right taken from you for the pleasure of your beauty is wrong......allow it to fly around, and if you give it love and it acknowledges that love and comes back to the open cage.....well thats a good thing (perhaps?)....I personally couldn't cage a bird again......I did once.....two love birds.....and I neglected to cover their cage one night and both those beautiful little creatures perished......Im a bird murderer.....I sure hope they can forgive me........
No I don't agree, a lot of birds if got away wouldn't be able to survive, a lot of humans if were free from the collective society cage which we call civilization wouldn't survive either, but its not just a black and white argument, it depends on what the pet is, and where the pet originally came from, if you know what I mean.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 AM
Nebulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
No I don't agree, a lot of birds if got away wouldn't be able to survive, a lot of humans if were free from the collective society cage which we call civilization wouldn't survive either, but its not just a black and white argument, it depends on what the pet is, and where the pet originally came from, if you know what I mean.

This is sorta how I see it too. We're basically introducing animals to our sort of lifestyle when we keep them as pets...a lifestyle where food is right there readily available, life is pretty easy, there's entertainment and less activity and no more trying to survive a hostile wilderness...

When I adopt a dog or cat, I think of it as a rescue. I have seen SO MANY people who are terribly abusive to pets, I feel that when I adopt one, I can maybe give that animal a chance to live a life that is free from danger, disease and early, painful death. I am introducing them to my "pack" and they go with my "pack" everywhere and are provided for... I know full well that, because they were never wild to begin with, they can never return to the wild because they will die, they have not learned how to survive... just as many in our society have not lived a life of harsh survival either.

If you have an animal that has lived wild and free, it's an entirely different story. I would never cage that animal up, but I would happily befriend that animal and give it food or whatever as I can spare it, and wish it well as it flies/crawls/walks away. Example: We had a pair of crows that kept sitting on our deck a couple of months ago. For no apparent reason they just kept "hanging out". We thought it a blessing, a welcome pair of new friends - and we set out bits of food for them. They'd fly to the deck, take their fill and leave, sometimes peer at us through the window - they were pretty friendly.

You're not bad if you have a pet. You probably shouldn't have a pet if you have zero empathy for animals or can't understand their body language, however - you need to be able to communicate with them at least a little bit, to understand what their body language and noises mean, to understand how best to care for them and make them happy and content. If you have a cat, you better know what it means when their tail raises or when their ears go back. If you have a dog, you'd better know what it means when they stare at you and urinate on something, or when they tuck their tail or show you their belly or raise their hackles...

I don't think owning a pet is bad. It's just taking responsibility for the safety and well-being of another creature, and needs to be done responsibly.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Master
Yes I agree Nebulous, I think its just as bad to have children that are abused and kept like a pet just for ones own satisfaction of having children.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:24 AM
Master
Of course slice.....but if you have caged birds....allow them to fly around your house.......and if you have a verandah enclose it in bird wire so that they can fly around out there also but not away to be snatched by wild predatory birds or animals......i understand that caged birds would perish fairly quickly because of wild free birds......but don't stop them from using their wings by placing them in a tiny cage.....that is inhumane.....Its like my cats......we allow them access to the backyard.....there are trees for them to climb, and we try to prevent them from attacking birds.....its their natural instinct to do that......but they have food laid on for them so they don't need to hunt for survival.....but they still want to.....so they do a lot of chasing and chittering at the birds instead......i wouldnt want them to go outside of the yard, because they don't know the road is a dangerous place, and there are many people who get great pleasure in running over or being cruel to cats....for whatever sick reason that they have.......so perhaps my posts have been a bit misleading in what I actually mean........
All im saying is......if you have pet birds allow them to be able to fly and use their wings......have sufficient safe space for them to do that.....