Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
I remember a hawk would come sit in one of my trees and wait for the songbirds to come to the feeders, and then enjoy his/her own breakfast. I was mortified, but it was part of life. I'd much prefer it to go back and sit in the forests and fields across the road.

I went to my favorite jogging/hiking trails yesterday morning and found a pile of feathers. I wondered if it was a hawk that got the bird. There was nothing but the feathers.

Yes and in fact it most likely was a Coopers hawk. They pin their kill down and plick the feathers at the site. They get the morning doves all the time where I live.
They are a small hawk and come in at about 150 miles an hour!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Master
Oh my goodness, WS, 150 miles an hour. The hawk that hung out at my feeders seemed to get the mourning doves as well. At least those were the feathers I found most. Every so often when I stroll about my land, I will see patches of feathers only. I always thought that another animal took off with the remains. Now I know the hawk is doing this. I've found jay feathers as well as others. We have lots of hawks here, but I live in the country. :-)
Old 08-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Master
I was thinking it could be owls, also? I've heard they are good at finishing what's on their plate, LOL.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
I was thinking it could be owls, also? I've heard they are good at finishing what's on their plate, LOL.

One thing I learned is that if you see a body with no head there is a good chance it was attacked by an Owl.
A man's grip is about 50-60 pounds be square inch where the Great Horned owls grip is 500 PSI!
They have been known to rip the heads of of woodchucks. I think they like to eat the brains but I am not sure on that.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
One thing I learned is that if you see a body with no head there is a good chance it was attacked by an Owl.
A man's grip is about 50-60 pounds be square inch where the Great Horned owls grip is 500 PSI!
They have been known to rip the heads of of woodchucks. I think they like to eat the brains but I am not sure on that.

OmG! So gross! It sounds all so fantastic, it's surely made up, makes man sound like a total wimp, rofl.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Master
Nope its all real. I actually wrote a long article that got published in our local paper about The Great horned Owl. My intent was to show just how majestic and amazing this bird and all of wildlife is. You should see one up close! Wow!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Nope its all real. I actually wrote a long article that got published in our local paper about The Great horned Owl. My intent was to show just how majestic and amazing this bird and all of wildlife is. You should see one up close! Wow!

So, did you see a full grown one in your back yard or in captivity? How big is a full grown one?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
So, did you see a full grown one in your back yard or in captivity? How big is a full grown one?

I volunteered on Saturdays at a wildlife rehab to honor this particular bird. It was an amazing experience. I got to go in cages with these owls and with hawks. My job was to feed them and clean their cages. They are all very impressive but especially this one, the great horned owl. There was always an instant feeling of respect as I met these animals and a sense that they knew and respected me as well.
This was made really clear to me and the owner.
I have so many stories and memories from that place........

Oh they are about 2 feet tall with a 4 foot wing span but their talons are what is most amazing. That and their eyes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-GreatHornedOwl-Wiki.jpg (16.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg UtahArtemis2.jpg (91.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Master
Quote:

Okay, I once found a cat on my property with no head and it was disturbing. Within this past year, I found an animal, I can't recall what kind now, but it had no head as well. So I have hawks eating the birds and owls eating the heads off of cats and other animals.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
Okay, I once found a cat on my property with no head and it was disturbing. Within this past year, I found an animal, I can't recall what kind now, but it had no head as well. So I have hawks eating the birds and owls eating the heads off of cats and other animals.

Oh boy! lol
And the hawks hunt during the day while the owls hunt at night so you pretty much can never tie the dog outside for some exercise........lol
Especially if it is a chihuaha!