Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 25-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Suspended
The main difference, is that this new movie had nothing but video game battle sequences doted with short periods of real acting. Yes, the original had its violence, but it was woven into a story line, that this new movie lacked. This new one, is all violence, battle and chase, with no real story line woven into it. The story was more of a theme, rather than a plot. The new movie is more like a video game: They give you a theme, and you do the rest by playing the game.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Master

Would have been weird if the original had video game like battle sequences It is a question of taste. I think it is up there with the rest. Loads of humor and introduces the characters well into a storyline that is only starting to evolve... since it with all probability is part of a trilogy.
Old 26-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Suspended
The humor and good special effects is the only thing from keeping this movie from being a total rip off. It is a question of taste. Those who want just non stop video game like action will love this new movie. Those who want a little more, will be disappointed.
Old 26-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow
The 1st 1977 original Star Wars was a feel good movie and it had a feel good ending to which this one lacks. Thus your logic here is totally lacking. The 1st three Star War movies of the late 70s were feel good movies. Many who watched this latest release was hoping for the feelings they found in the 1st series. But they walked out of the theater disappointed.

Huh??!! I don't think so... The choking death of the rebel captain by Darth Vader, the slaughter of the Jawa's, the grisly murder of Lukes parents, the light saber duel in the bar where arm's get sliced off, Han killing Greedo, the destruction of an entire peaceful planet inhabited by millions, the murder of obi wan kenobi and the destruction of the rebel ships manned by lukes friends who were trying to destroy the death star -- I don't know about you but they are NOT "feel good" events in my book or anyone elses.

Perhaps George Lucas did a better job of sugarcoating violence than JJ Abrams but violence is still violence. Though Lucas did inject a hopeful tone and some feel good moment in a new hope it doesn't make it an overall feel good movie IMO.

Quote:
"Star Wars" is not a war movie, it a science fiction fantasy movie. The original was Not battles and death from start to finish. It had story development, and charactor development, that this one lacks.

It is a science fiction fantasy WAR movie set in space. The whole premise and main plot of episodes 4-6 was a war between the empire and the rebellion. Sure there were subplots and character development but that doesn't take away from the fact that these are basically war movies set in space as the "STAR WARS" title indicates.
Old 26-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Master
I plan to watch this again, but on blu-ray. Will have to wait until may :(
Old 26-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Deactivated Account

Coming to the conclusion that your comments are more entertaining

I have not heard a ladies perspective.. would like just one

Thinking of seeing this on Imax Sunday night. I'd be happy to give the full deets, I am more into visuals so it will probably appeal more to me.. we'll see
Old 26-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaZen
Huh??!! I don't think so... The choking death of the rebel captain by Darth Vader, the slaughter of the Jawa's, the grisly murder of Lukes parents, the light saber duel in the bar where arm's get sliced off, Han killing Greedo, the destruction of an entire peaceful planet inhabited by millions, the murder of obi wan kenobi and the destruction of the rebel ships manned by lukes friends who were trying to destroy the death star -- I don't know about you but they are NOT "feel good" events in my book or anyone elses.

Perhaps George Lucas did a better job of sugarcoating violence than JJ Abrams but violence is still violence. Though Lucas did inject a hopeful tone and some feel good moment in a new hope it doesn't make it an overall feel good movie IMO

It is a science fiction fantasy WAR movie set in space. The whole premise and main plot of episodes 4-6 was a war between the empire and the rebellion. Sure there were subplots and character development but that doesn't take away from the fact that these are basically war movies set in space as the "STAR WARS" title indicates.

If you think movie action violence is real that is OK for me. As far as I am concerned the original had a feel good ending of victory and celebration. This new one just leaves you with a hermit Luke Skywalker with a scuzzy beard, and a brooding dark face, and he never said a word in the 22.9 seconds the they showed him at the very end of the movie. Feel good movies have a good story line that enables you to connect with the story and charactors. They have a begining and a full ending where you feel good when the movie is over. James Cameron's "Avatar" was a feel good move from start to end, and had battle scenes in it. What makes a movie depressing, is when it is just thrown together just for the violence with no thoughtful story to it. Such as most of this new Star Wars movie was.

I consider "War" movies are about real wars such as WW2 and Vietnam. Not Science Fiction ones, that have video game battles in them. I think Hollywood and film critics agree with me.
Old 26-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow
If you think movie action violence is real that is OK for me. As far as I am concerned the original had a feel good ending of victory and celebration. This new one just leaves you with a hermit Luke Skywalker with a scuzzy beard, and a brooding dark face, and he never said a word in the 22.9 seconds the they showed him at the very end of the movie.

No, I don't think movie action violence is real but it is a differentiator between a feel good movie and other styles of movies

Quote:
Feel good movies have a good story line that enables you to connect with the story and charactors. They have a begining and a full ending where you feel good when the movie is over.

I don't remember episode 4 having a feel good beginning. It started with a battle and capture of the rebel ship.

Quote:
James Cameron's "Avatar" was a feel good move from start to end, and had battle scenes in it. What makes a movie depressing, is when it is just thrown together just for the violence with no thoughtful story to it. Such as most of this new Star Wars movie was.

There were many parts of the movie avatar where I felt very sad and torn. Even in the end it felt melancholy given the fact that their sacred tree got trashed and many perished, even when they got together to honor one another after their ordeal. I was happy to see the bad guys defeated at the end of avatar but it wasn't a "happy ending" in my book given the suffering they experienced and the losses they incurred. It was more of a relief that they survived and perservered instead of happiness

Quote:
I consider "War" movies are about real wars such as WW2 and Vietnam. Not Science Fiction ones, that have video game battles in them. I think Hollywood and film critics agree with me.

I am not sure what the critics think but I feel war movies are war movies whether they really took place or are fictionalized or take place in space. I guess we will have to agree to disagree regarding our analysis and assessments Thunderbow
Old 26-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Experiencer

I saw Force Awakens and I loved it to bits and pieces lol. It's funny, I've only heard rave reviews of it up til now. Even critics love it. But I was surprised at how much hate it's getting on this thread.

Someone here said the original trilogy was happy and upbeat. IDK where that idea is coming from but that's not exactly true. I can kinda see that in the first movie, but I clearly remember the first movie containing: people being burnt alive, people being tortured, an old person dying, a whole neutral planet full of innocent souls getting blown up, Han shooting first. Need I go on?

Episode 7 more resembles Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Those movies are more serious and "gritty" and they have great storylines. The new flick also doesn't have little kiddie Ewoks or Jar Jar Stinks type characters in it. Two thumbs up for that point alone!

The new cast was amazing! Super good acting, super good script. And they worked in the old cast super good. The new and old cast worked phenomenal off each other. Any spoilers that were mentioned in this thread should seriously be edited out, especially about the old cast. That's not cool to be telling people key points of the movie.

The only thing that disappointed me in this movie was the CG characters. As far as I remember there were only three, so that was cool. But you could really tell they were CG like in any other movie. I suppose that's not a problem but I kept reading pre-reviews that were saying Abrams wasn't going to use CG characters, so that kinda shocked me a bit. But that's hardly a gripe.

The lightsaber fights were pretty awesome. They weren't choreographed like in the prequels. It was more like two people banging swords trying to survive. Nice touch.

And how they use the Force was breathtaking in several spots. Nothing big, but...idk, dang, they just did an excellent job of pulling all this off. It came together very nicely. I'll be seeing this one repeated times and much looking forward to the next installments.
Old 27-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melahin
The spiritual aspect here might be to let go of expectations and just enjoy the moment. It is a good movie. I love how the new droid reminded me of Wall-E to me that is feel good. I think the trouble more is that many went in to see a different movie than the new one

I thought of the same thing! lol looks like Wall-E. Pretty cute!