Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 17-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Myer

Embalming

Just wondered what you guys think about embalming?

Here in the UK embalming is carried out on everyone, unless they have died with a disease contained in the blood. It is done whether you are being cremated or buried.

We do it here because family like to see their relative again prior to the funeral. So the embalming is like a temporary cosmetic procedure to keep the body looking as good as is possible. My problem is that it is expensive and harmful to the enviroment, because of the chemicals used.

So as far as I am concerned, when I die there will be no embalming and I won't be having any visitors prior to the funeral. I have told my husband to nail the lid down fast...as I probably won't be looking my best! Always best to talk about this stuff before it becomes a reality, just so your family know your wishes.

What is the norm in the US?

Myer
Old 17-02-2011, 10:22 AM
earthprowler

well i wasn't sure so I looked it up and here is an article I found:

Does the law say that I must be embalmed?

No state requires routine embalming and some don't require it at all. It is not required for cremation if performed immediately. If a funeral salesperson tells you that it is the law, ask what special circumstances exist that require it. Insisting that embalming is required where it is not is against the law.

The following chart lists state embalming laws. Note the four categories:

* Waiting Period: Numbers state the hours that a corpse must be embalmed or refrigerated.
* Disease: Embalming may be required for certain communicable or contagious diseases. The letters RQD means that when the patient has died of infectious illness, a doctor must be consulted to determine whether the corpse should be embalmed or not. (Embalming may actually further the spread of some diseases. Hawaii has laws against embalming under certain circumstances.) Which diseases are covered by these laws varies from state to state. Check with your local public health department for specifics if you live in one of these states.
* Interstate Transport. Some states require that embalming be performed on bodies being shipped out of state.
* Common Carrier. Some states require that embalming be performed before a body can be shipped on a common carrier such as an airline, a trucking line, or a ship.

http://www.alsirat.com/silence/consumers/embalming.html

the link can give the rest of the information along with staying in regulations with forum (Jules is that right? )
Old 17-02-2011, 07:39 PM
scottyaks143

Well embalming is good in order to preserve your body in a short time. and for me embalming is useful because what if you are in other country and for example one of your friend died and then they contact you to come.. so it is good to embalm the body than cremate.
Old 17-02-2011, 10:30 PM
nightowl

I have always had this thought that I would perfer people to remember me as I was when I was alive. To focus on the good and special moments would be pleasing to me. Maybe it comes from the fact that whenever I see someone at a wake or viewing that is the first image I get when they enter my thoughts later on. Creepy maybe I know but it takes a long time for me to shake that image away.

I can understanding embalming for some circumtances, but for me personally I'll stick with cremation.
Old 21-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Master
in some traditions there is only ritual washing and wrapping of the body...and simple burial in a shroud/wood box, with no embalming, done within a day or 2 after death of the body.

the body is simply returned to the earth...whilst the soul goes on.

peace,
7L
Old 27-02-2011, 02:21 AM
Celeste

I want to be cremated.