Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 05-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Master
Are you A Highly Sensitive Person?

I was wondering if anyone else felt like they could be considered a Highly Sensitive Person?

Since I was a child I have suffered from migraine headaches. Things that trigger them that I have found are any kind of artificial sweetener (even Stevia and other "natural" sweeteners), MSG, Fluoride, Fluorescent Lights, Corn Syrup and the list goes on.

People's emotions affect me - - - - even when I am trying REALLY hard to ignore it they still do... whether they're up or down, I'll be right there with them.

From Wikipedia - A highly sensitive person (HSP) is a person having the innate trait of high sensory processing sensitivity (or innate sensitiveness, as originally coined by Carl Jung[1][2]). Some common signs are sensitivity to loud noises, bright or fluorescent lights, and strong smells. HSP's often describe themselves as having a rich and complex inner life. They may startle easily and get rattled when required to accomplish a lot in a short time. According to Elaine N. Aron and colleagues as well as other researchers, highly sensitive people, who compose about a fifth of the population (equal numbers in men and women), may process sensory data much more deeply and thoroughly due to a biological difference in their nervous systems.[3] The trait is measured using the HSP Scale, which has been demonstrated to have both internal and external validity. Although the term is primarily used to describe humans, something similar to the trait is present in over 100 other species.[4][5]

I have also always been quite intuitive - even as a child and I was wondering if anyone else has felt that these two things go hand in hand?

I've heard the analogy that we are the "Canaries in the Coal Mine" - feeling things that aren't balanced before others feel the effects.

I've had acupuncture for the migraines - and its the only thing that works aside from medication. The real only way to keep them away though is to avoid artificial stuff.... its so hard when they sneak it into everything... for instance - Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate is made with Sucralose not sugar... it extends the shelf life... but the average person isn't going to look at the label to check...

Just wondering if there are any others out there...

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 05-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Suspended
Yeah...I got physically sick last night from someone's else's emotions.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Glow
I've heard the analogy that we are the "Canaries in the Coal Mine" - feeling things that aren't balanced before others feel the effects.
I've looked into Highly Sensitive, but I don't really fit the bill. I did however read something very interesting that could interest Highly Sensitive people (a bit similar to the canary in the coal mine analogy):

apparently in herds of deer up to 20% of the deer are highly sensitive. These highly sensitive deer are the ones who notice upcoming danger first, and the rest of the herd knows and trusts this, so takes their cue and follows them. This apparently is an important part of herd safety for them.

I think this stands in stark contrast with how highly sensitive human beings are approached sometimes in the human 'herd'. I feel like being highly sensitive is like a talent, a quality that should be embraced by society as the beautiful thing that it is. So many lessons we could learn from our animal friends!
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkles
I've looked into Highly Sensitive, but I don't really fit the bill. I did however read something very interesting that could interest Highly Sensitive people (a bit similar to the canary in the coal mine analogy):

apparently in herds of deer up to 20% of the deer are highly sensitive. These highly sensitive deer are the ones who notice upcoming danger first, and the rest of the herd knows and trusts this, so takes their cue and follows them. This apparently is an important part of herd safety for them.

I think this stands in stark contrast with how highly sensitive human beings are approached sometimes in the human 'herd'. I feel like being highly sensitive is like a talent, a quality that should be embraced by society as the beautiful thing that it is. So many lessons we could learn from our animal friends!

That's very interesting sparkle :)

A family of deer lived near a field where I used to live. I loved watching them, sometimes 12 at a time would be out grazing but then I would notice 1 turn its head and the others would follow suit and then they'd be off!

Thanks for the cool info

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 05-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Knower
ha! so cool you saw that!
Old 05-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Master

Dear Moon Glow. re your headaches: Have you looked into the role of magnesium (deficiency of) in relation to headaches and migraines?

And if you're a highly sensitive soul, have you investigated the Bach Flower Remedies? Sensitives respond well to them.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 05-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion
Dear Moon Glow. re your headaches: Have you looked into the role of magnesium (deficiency of) in relation to headaches and migraines?

And if you're a highly sensitive soul, have you investigated the Bach Flower Remedies? Sensitives respond well to them.

I used to take magnesium supplements - someone suggested it to me once - and I didn't notice much of a difference but that was 10+ years ago...

I will look into the Bach Flower Remedies, thanks for the info! See you in the Alphabet Game

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 10-01-2016, 05:14 AM
Master
Am I highly sensitive? Oh my god yes!

I was born with Asperger's Disorder (a mild form of Autism) and as a result, I also suffer from Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Clinical Depression.

Add to that, I had a severe episode of Shingles three years ago (over half my body) and that has left me with Post Herpetic Neuralgia, Fibromyalgia and Psychopathic Pain which can occur anywhere throughout my body...at any time...at any intensity.

I wind up in hospital about once a month, thinking I am having 'gallstones' or 'heart problems' or 'sciatica' or 'migraine'....after all the tests are said and done, turns out I have nothing but Post Herpetic Neuralgia.

Add to that, I have severe arthritis in my hips, back and knees that gets so bad, I cannot sleep on my side in bed (no matter how much foam and fleece I put on top of my mattress), I cannot go up and down my stairs and I just can't move without soaking in a boiling bath for about half an hour first.

Add to that, I have TMJD (a jaw disorder) that has disfigured my face and causes painful migraines, with neck and facial pain that is excrutiating.

Add to that, I am going through menopause and I wake up every morning with soaking pyjamas and pillow. I also have sore breasts, mood swings and dizziness/vertigo.

Talking about dizziness/vertigo, I also have a malformation of the middle-ear on my left side (the TMJD is on my right side) and I suffer with labrynthitis as a regular occurrence.

At the moment, I am not on any medication...I just take Paracetamol for the pain, but the problem is, I am starting to get sensitive to Paracetamol too, because after I take it, I get stomach pain, constipation and it increases the pain felt in my gallbladder area, even though everything is fine there.

I can't take it anymore. I can't take it!

I am going back on my medication (which I hate taking) and this includes Cymbalta, Lyrica, Endone, Estrogen, Green-Lipped Mussel Extract, IBS support (probiotics)...I was taking a cocktail of stuff...

However, I am also starting to lose my memory and my balance now, so I have to go and see the quack and go back on all of this again.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
Am I highly sensitive? Oh my god yes!

I was born with Asperger's Disorder (a mild form of Autism) and as a result, I also suffer from Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Clinical Depression.

Add to that, I had a severe episode of Shingles three years ago (over half my body) and that has left me with Post Herpetic Neuralgia, Fibromyalgia and Psychopathic Pain which can occur anywhere throughout my body...at any time...at any intensity.

I wind up in hospital about once a month, thinking I am having 'gallstones' or 'heart problems' or 'sciatica' or 'migraine'....after all the tests are said and done, turns out I have nothing but Post Herpetic Neuralgia.

Add to that, I have severe arthritis in my hips, back and knees that gets so bad, I cannot sleep on my side in bed (no matter how much foam and fleece I put on top of my mattress), I cannot go up and down my stairs and I just can't move without soaking in a boiling bath for about half an hour first.

Add to that, I have TMJD (a jaw disorder) that has disfigured my face and causes painful migraines, with neck and facial pain that is excrutiating.

Add to that, I am going through menopause and I wake up every morning with soaking pyjamas and pillow. I also have sore breasts, mood swings and dizziness/vertigo.

Talking about dizziness/vertigo, I also have a malformation of the middle-ear on my left side (the TMJD is on my right side) and I suffer with labrynthitis as a regular occurrence.

At the moment, I am not on any medication...I just take Paracetamol for the pain, but the problem is, I am starting to get sensitive to Paracetamol too, because after I take it, I get stomach pain, constipation and it increases the pain felt in my gallbladder area, even though everything is fine there.

I can't take it anymore. I can't take it!

I am going back on my medication (which I hate taking) and this includes Cymbalta, Lyrica, Endone, Estrogen, Green-Lipped Mussel Extract, IBS support (probiotics)...I was taking a cocktail of stuff...

However, I am also starting to lose my memory and my balance now, so I have to go and see the quack and go back on all of this again.

Oh wow! Well I wish you all the best... that's a lot to deal with

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 10-01-2016, 05:55 AM
Master
The very first forum I ever belonged to over 20 years ago was called HSP, and touted the books of Elaine Aron and the Myers-Briggs personality tests. That I was sensitive from the get-go was very apparent -- my mom used to call me her 'hot house posie'.