Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Carpark
Devil's Advocate is Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino?
Haven't seen it yet but this is the one you refer to?

Yep. I wouldn't ordinarily class it as 'my type' of film...lawyers, business and money...but I loved it. I rarely watch films more than once - this one I've watched at least three times. It's worth a second viewing if you enjoy it first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Though not a fan of Tom Cruise, Jerry Maguire(fav) and Vanilla Sky(like muchly).

It's funny (strange) because I never see Tom Cruise as Tom Cruise (or any other actor for that matter). I see the character they play, rather than the actor behind. For instance, in Vanilla Sky there is no Tom Cruise. It's David Aames.

I've always been like this and think it might be rather unusual (I thought it was normal - ha!). It's probably about the ease with which I 'escape' into imagination. I always had my nose in a book when I was little and so learned from an early age to bring characters to life. That naturally followed into films and the character was the focus - not the actor.

I've not seen Jerry Maguire, but have watched Vanilla Sky...oh...dozens of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
re: similar buildings. I've watched a number of "making ofs" of movies and many rave about New York being a fav for shooting in.

That makes sense. And because I've seen Vanilla Sky numerous times, I easily recognised the building.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Master
Quote:
If you will Sarian, I'm interested in what parts ruined it for you.
And i understand what you mean, I have movies i rate as perfect, and some i rate as favs, but i will FF the bits that I simply don't like, after i've seen it X number of times.
Hi AC, I probably need to watch it again, it's been awhile...but weren't there scenes when you are in one place and open a door and you are in an entirely different place? I think I would have liked it better had it kept it more real and i say that for me because of the situation I am currently in. the movie could have really blown my mind because of a person in my life and how it all came to be, and the obstacles in our ways, but when it went to fantasy with the changing of rooms, from real to not real, or in a building, stepping into somewhere outside, not like just walking out of your front door. You know what I mean? Otherwise, I could have really enjoyed it and related to it so much more.

Now Devil's Advocate was mentioned and I love that movie and in some perverse ways I can relate to that movie as well because of some frightening incidents in my life...that the woman in the movie dealt with Charlene ? Charleth? I can't recall her name. Yes, it had Keanu (be still my heart) Reeves in it and Al Pacino. I have that movie on DVD, now I am in the mood to watching that again.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
Now Devil's Advocate was mentioned and I love that movie...I have that movie on DVD, now I am in the mood to watching that again.

Hiya Sarian

You've made me want to watch it again too!

In fact, I have it right here so I'm going to pop it in the laptop and escape into another world for an hour or two.

The name of the actress who plays his wife is Charlize Theron (Mary Ann in character) - I'm not a film buff, I just Wiki'd it!

I'm sorry to hear of the frightening incidents you went through - the ones in the film were pretty horrendous for her.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
In fact, I have it right here so I'm going to pop it in the laptop and escape into another world for an hour or two.

Woop. My fourth watch. Love it. There are so many layers.

"Vanity. Definitely my favourite sin."
Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Hi AC, I probably need to watch it again, it's been awhile...but weren't there scenes when you are in one place and open a door and you are in an entirely different place? I think I would have liked it better had it kept it more real and i say that for me because of the situation I am currently in. the movie could have really blown my mind because of a person in my life and how it all came to be, and the obstacles in our ways, but when it went to fantasy with the changing of rooms, from real to not real, or in a building, stepping into somewhere outside, not like just walking out of your front door. You know what I mean? Otherwise, I could have really enjoyed it and related to it so much more.
I understand what you mean though because I have not your experiences you mentioned I cannot fully.

As you know the doors had to be in because of plot ect.
The Bureau workers are angels and angels have to be able to do things humans couldn't, otherwise there would be no story of Damen's character trying to outhwart them or of his frustration, anger, indignation of their constant oneupmanship over his life, or of his internal transformation throughout the movie.

The doors offer the viewer a glimpse of how reality appears to be one step ahead of oneself (fate)and oneself then uses the same ability to determine their own fate, their destiny.
All that is done visually with the "majik doors"
It's also gives the viewer a visual example of the power the angels have above humans in order for them to maintain "the plan".

Take away the door sequences and there is still the knowledge that angels have more power.
But the visuals are to show it to the viewer.

Are you able to simply remove your annoyance of the parts you don't like and cherise the parts you do?

Quote:
Now Devil's Advocate was mentioned and I love that movie and in some perverse ways I can relate to that movie as well because of some frightening incidents in my life...that the woman in the movie dealt with Charlene ? Charleth? I can't recall her name. Yes, it had Keanu (be still my heart) Reeves in it and Al Pacino. I have that movie on DVD, now I am in the mood to watching that again.
He is quite handsome. I like his minimalism, his calm exterior, yet through his eyes I see an intense energy.

And Pacino, though i have only seen him a couple of times, is one of my fav actors.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Yep. I wouldn't ordinarily class it as 'my type' of film...lawyers, business and money...but I loved it. I rarely watch films more than once - this one I've watched at least three times. It's worth a second viewing if you enjoy it first time.
I 'm gunna keep an eye out for when at the DVD shop on my visits to town.

Quote:
It's funny (strange) because I never see Tom Cruise as Tom Cruise (or any other actor for that matter). I see the character they play, rather than the actor behind. For instance, in Vanilla Sky there is no Tom Cruise. It's David Aames.

I've always been like this and think it might be rather unusual (I thought it was normal - ha!). It's probably about the ease with which I 'escape' into imagination. I always had my nose in a book when I was little and so learned from an early age to bring characters to life. That naturally followed into films and the character was the focus - not the actor.
I get what you mean.
Oh, it's normal, what you have described, there are just different levels of "escapeing" into one's imagination.

I get right into the experience, some movies I'm exhausted afterward.
I just personally either do not like Cruise's acting stye, or the characters he played.
There's just something about his that i do not rez with.
I like(rez with) him(his performance) in vanilla sky, Jerry Maguire and Eyes wide shut.
But the others I have seen, i just cringe, like War of the worlds, though a movie like, Minority Report, it fluctuates between cringe and like.
I cringed so much in WotW that I could only watch 20 mins of it.

Mission impossible, like, MI2, no.

Quote:
I've not seen Jerry Maguire, but have watched Vanilla Sky...oh...dozens of times.
I watched Sleepless in Seatle because the reviews class it as the penultimate love story.

I class Jerry Maguire and City of Angels miles above it.

And I have noticed something about love story movies..they are journey movies.
A person's inner transformative journey toward love.

And Adjustment Bureau is a thoughtfully wonderous example of the genre.

Quote:
That makes sense. And because I've seen Vanilla Sky numerous times, I easily recognised the building.
Keeping an eye out for VS now too.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Woop. My fourth watch. Love it. There are so many layers.

"Vanity. Definitely my favourite sin."
One reason I deeply enjoy the movie experience... they are explorations into the human psyche.

When I experience a movie, i also experience myself.
There is a connection, a merging of me and my environment.
Movies aren't real, they are merely fantasies? Not from my perspective.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Master
Quote:
I understand what you mean though because I have not your experiences you mentioned I cannot fully.

As you know the doors had to be in because of plot ect.
The Bureau workers are angels and angels have to be able to do things humans couldn't, otherwise there would be no story of Damen's character trying to outhwart them or of his frustration, anger, indignation of their constant oneupmanship over his life, or of his internal transformation throughout the movie.

The doors offer the viewer a glimpse of how reality appears to be one step ahead of oneself (fate)and oneself then uses the same ability to determine their own fate, their destiny.
All that is done visually with the "majik doors"
It's also gives the viewer a visual example of the power the angels have above humans in order for them to maintain "the plan".

Take away the door sequences and there is still the knowledge that angels have more power.
But the visuals are to show it to the viewer.

Are you able to simply remove your annoyance of the parts you don't like and cherise the parts you do?

He is quite handsome. I like his minimalism, his calm exterior, yet through his eyes I see an intense energy.

And Pacino, though i have only seen him a couple of times, is one of my fav actors.
Hi AC, oh, yes, I can take away the annoying parts for me. I think it was mostly because I was expecting the movie to be something totally different than it was and the person I saw it with was making comments and I think those interferred with my getting into it more than I could have... After reading your comments and others, I really would like to watch it again. I think I would get more out of it and I truly appreciate your narrative about it. Makes me think more and see the movie in a better light. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Hiya Sarian

You've made me want to watch it again too!

The name of the actress who plays his wife is Charlize Theron (Mary Ann in character) - I'm not a film buff, I just Wiki'd it!

I'm sorry to hear of the frightening incidents you went through - the ones in the film were pretty horrendous for her.
I'm going to have to dig out my dvd of it!

Yeah, I had a rather bizarre life and still do to some extent. lol Glayd you enjoyed your 4th viewing!!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Hi AC, oh, yes, I can take away the annoying parts for me. I think it was mostly because I was expecting the movie to be something totally different than it was and the person I saw it with was making comments and I think those interferred with my getting into it more than I could have... After reading your comments and others, I really would like to watch it again. I think I would get more out of it and I truly appreciate your narrative about it. Makes me think more and see the movie in a better light. Thank you!
I like your ability to look within yourself and discover\acknowledge\reazile\etc what the specific issues are.
This is part of the process of transformation\change\healing.

~smiles~I never go to the theatre when a movie first comes out.
I go when there's only a few people watching, and on the rare ocasions I go with friends or family, they know and respectfully do not talk during the movie.

And the old trouble maker, Expectations.
I have learnt to stop my dawta from sharing her review of a movie she is dying to share because she knows I will like to go see it.
Her indepth and emotion invoking description of the movie is so strong that when I acually go watch it, I am disappionted because it didn't match her brilliant review.

I expected it to be lke she described, but it wasn't.
I couldn't get into the movie because I was into her description while watching the actual movie.
The expectation remainded locked in and I couldn't experience the movie.
My dawta, one I explained my dilemma, now simply excitedly smiles and tells me to go watch it.
And then we can chat for hours about it afterwards.

Expectations are good for motivation, to energize a person to go, to achieve a desired goal, hopes, dreams, etc.
But they have to be discarded once in the experience because the experience is the reality, not the desired goal.
Detach from the motivating expectation and attach to the actual experience.

I noticed this dramatically with Avatar. I was so blown away by the 3D experience that i was missing the movie.
I was focused on the 3D experience, and it was stopping me from immersing myself into Pandora.

Once I switched over, Pandora just became so much more real and beautiful.