Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Knower
Is God Consciousness?

Is God Consciousness? Can anyone answer this question? I'm starting to believe that God truely is Consciousness.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 AM
pre-dawn

IMO God is mostly unconsciousness and our consciousness is just a tiny fraction, maybe 0.001 percent of it.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Master
God can be called Consciousness, pure Essence, pure Being, Love, whatever but no matter what you call this God that's not what IS. You can use these words to describe what IS, you can use them as pointers but you can never speak about what the pointer points to, you are what the pointer points to but you can never speak of what you are, you can only be who you are.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
God can be called Consciousness, pure Essence, pure Being, Love, whatever but no matter what you call this God that's not what IS. You can use these words to describe what IS, you can use them as pointers but you can never speak about what the pointer points to, you are what the pointer points to but you can never speak of what you are, you can only be who you are.

Thank you for this post, I agree with it completely and it was very well said.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Time

I think of it this way:

The universe is just a body to us, as our cells and atoms and all that makes us is to our bodies.

And to further your question. What if god was just that consiousness energy that connects the whole universe?
Old 13-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Master
Consciousness is awareness, so yes consciousness is a part of God.

God is not necessarily consciousness and that is it. That would be ridiculous.

I know some yogis from India describe God as Being, Consciousness, and Bliss.

I guess that is an accurate assesment, trying to get Catholics into understanding a worldwide perspective of the Trinity.

If we go by the intuition of the human race and prevade all religions and beliefs, we come down to this-

that God is BEING Itself. Self-Existing, Existence Itself. For when he told Moses- "I AM THAT I AM", he said he was Existence. And consciousness precedes from Existence.

I do not like it when New Agers say that God is Consciousness and walk away.

That is absurd. Yes God is Consciousness. But when one center's their consciousness (their spirit) into God's Consciousness, they realize the ONLY consciousness is God's which is Bliss, Love, etc. So consciousness appears as many states depending on the individual, but in essence there is only ONE consciousness the underlying essence of all things and that is God. Or God as the Holy Spirit. For God is also more than just Christ-consciousness/Holy Spirit. God is Existence. And the Self-Existing One is our Father/Mother.

So when the Apostles were sitting around watching Jesus ascend into the highest heaven (the realm of the Father/Self-Existing One), the Holy Spirit's descent upon the apostles was the inner awakening of the Christ Consciousness. Which is the Father's universal consciousness. And when this happened the Apostles started to become like Jesus in similar fashion.

Many Christians do not like the idea of Christ Consciousness because they think the person is saying that God is a state of consciousness. Yes and No. From our human perspective it is, but from the Higher Spirits who dwell within it, it is the ONLY consciousness. There others are all self-created by mankind's self-centered ways and expressions of "directing" the spirit. And when Christians here New Agers say that God is Consciousness, that is it. Well why do you think that discourages them? Because it sounds incomplete. Yes consciousness comes from God, but God to us is OUR Father/Mother. Even when he enter the highest heaven and God is our companion and co-worker, God is still Our God and Our Father and Our reliance for Existence.
Old 13-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Sundialed

My definition of God is ever evolving so this view may not reflect my views within any given time after I post this.

God is within the whole collective of individuals and exists as an individual collective consciousness of all that is. Collective in the same way our singular mind is of our body, but our body still has many independent functions which we have no control over, yet our whole body abides to our will. In the same way that we exist, we still have free will to live w/e path but we are still subject to the will of God.
Old 13-01-2011, 06:52 AM
sidewalk_bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice

As a programmer, I liked that.
Old 13-01-2011, 07:29 AM
TheDivine

Humans are a ray in God's spectrum. We are a fragment. This physical space we reside in is just one aspect. At least, that is my understanding at this point in my life.

God contains both consciousness and unconsciousness. When you deal with the Divine, you deal with paradox, and that's because the Divine contains all things, and yet nothing.
Old 13-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Animus27

IMHO, no, God (or in my case the plural) is not consciousness. I do not know if there's a "god" in the omnipotent creator sense, but I would be inclined to call it EVERYTHING, rather than putting it in the magical sparkly consciousness box.