Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 17-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Newbie ;)

Buddhism and Druidry/Witchcraft?

I'm wondering if anyone on here considers themselves primarily Buddhist but also is a practicing Druid or Witch, or else otherwise has heavy Buddhist influences to their personal experience of Paganism?

As for me, I'm kind of at a crossroads. I'm always evaluating my beliefs and making shifts as I feel the need. Lately I've been heavily drawn to Buddhism, and my Druidic/earth-centered practices have kind of taken a back burner. I've pretty much decided that I'm likely changing my church membership (I do highly enjoy church when I'm able to go for the insight and spiritual community) from my United Church of Christ church to the local Unitarian-Universalist church, which, if anyone here goes, you probably know they're pretty much a spiritual free-for-all - focusing more on social justice and getting along with each other, than a specific dogma or theology.

Thoughts?
Old 27-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Knower
I myself am trying to find a balance between many seemingly pagan concepts (do you capitalize Pagan) and Eastern concepts such as Taoism and Buddhism that I have embraced for years. I have prayed at temples in both China and South Korea and have honestly felt so measure of peace, but I also feel a kinship both cultural and spiritual, instinctual with many Norse and Celtic entities and forces. Something that I have looked into is the concept of Tantra as it related to viewing things in micro-cosmological sense. It is similar to the idea "as it is above so must it be below", like seeing many things through a lens of analogy that lets you visualize spiritualism. It so far is helping me. You might want to look it up. Hope this helps a little.
Old 28-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Experiencer
Wise words,Caitlyn!

Finding Myself,
Wisdom,at least in my view,is a swift flowing stream,so doing what your inner voice tells you is the right way.One spiritual path should not exclude another,on the contrary,the essence of truth should be seen everywhere.
So,your choice sounds great.
Old 28-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Knower
Cat Thanks again

Thanks again Yolxochitl. I am actually really non-committal on most ways of thought. But I do think that almost every viewpoint has something to offer if you can navigate the extremes. Unfortunately it is usually right around the very heart of disciplines that you find the really esoteric truthes.

Tantra appeals to me now mainly because of the broad way i am applying it as a tool to grasp so many other concepts and try to see how they might intersect or lead to familiar concepts.

What I am really hoping is that my understanding of micro-cosmology is pretty much on. My background in mathematical or algebraic logic is top down only. Which is great for instinctual things but not so good always for precision.

But to segue back to the topic a little FindingMyself, that would be the approach i would take. A passive and relaxed attempt to grasp general feelings and intent and then to visualize events and actions in the easiest and most natural paradigms that are available.

Hopefully that makes sense and helps a little. - May falcons feathers speed your way. (I hope that's not considered cheating on a signature?)
Old 19-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Suspended
One problem with 'tantra' is that in the post-modern world it has become like a consumerable and it is hard to get direct to source and receive proper teachings.

I am in favour of open dialogue and interfaith exchanges but most of the time it is better to centre yourself in one tradition and then take it from there. There are many spiritual supermarket shoppers..
Old 22-09-2014, 04:55 AM
Knower
Cat Stand eclectic

sunsoul

What I like about modern Tantra is that it is so consumable and allows one to shape the supposedly esoteric knowledge of so many disciplines into mentally graspable forms. To me the mind serves best that adapts to the individual spirit. Most disciplines or traditions that you begin center on also begin to limit your vision to other truths that are out there.

I believe that someone could ultimately understand the universe through basket weaving if you apply it enough. But I am seeking as many angles of thought as I can to widen my lens as much as I can, hopefully as I as look wider, and grasp, taste, smell , hear and feel I will learn more.

I guess that makes me a "super market shopper" but it also lets me judge the merits and try to gather understanding of a holistic concept of my own. If I was looking for a centered concept there's a church on every corner in America waiting to tell me not to look anywhere else.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Master
Forget about the labels, they are just restrictions on your spirituality. Forget everything that has dogma and "priests" or dietry practices, expensive piles of stone, massive financial resources, etc. These are not aspects of spirituality, they are just elements of a straight-jacket and signs of Organisation.
You owe it to yourself to form your own spirituality, based on you own feelings, thoughts, and experiences. I have my own "church", I am my own priest, my congregation consists of one - myself. My temple is a small river valley in the Pennines and my altar is a stepped waterfall.
I won't tell you what my beliefs are because they relate to my life, my experiences - not yours ! The world will be a much better place when all religions wither and fade away ! [Although, I will say that I am pagan !]
Old 22-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Master
Sure are many weird and wonderful ways, but the essence is the self form which awareness arises. People may call themselves whatever they identify as, but before adoption of said identity, who and/or what is this being that adopts this identity, or chooses this tradition, or this way and that?
Old 22-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Knower
I could not agree more Norseman.
Old 22-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Badger1777

I relate to most of what I've learned about buddhism, but am incompatible with it for two reasons. 1) I don't think this life is bad, it has its bad moments but generally its good and 2) I could never let go of everything I hold dear.

Have you read of Taoism? It sounds like you're kind of on a similar quest to me, to try to match your beliefs with an established belief system so that you don't feel like sort of alone. Having read of all sorts of belief systems, a friend of mine handed me a book introducing the basic concepts of taoism. It was a proper playschool type book, very basic, but I liked everything I read in it. Also, if you are going to study buddhism more, bear in mind that it is very diverse, with some branches considering the buddha to be a deity, others recognising him as just a man, some having very mystical ideas, some with very logical, pragmatic ideas. Its very varied. I think some people follow one branch and think that's the entirety of it. I'm not saying that's what you've done (I really don't know), but just thought I'd put it out there anyway.