Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It's written right there and completely obvious to everyone.

Knowing what Buddha said isn't enough to quit the acrimony, but the real lived insight would. That's what I meant all those months ago by the squawking parrots.

It is written, but I doubt it is as obvious as you seem to take it.
That's merely the surface.

If you think it's about one comment made months ago where you actually used the word Parrot. I don't know how to explain it any further.
Old 14-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
It is written, but I doubt it is as obvious as you seem to take it.
That's merely the surface.

It's perfectly obvious.

Quote:
If you think it's about one comment made months ago where you actually used the word Parrot. I don't know how to explain it any further.

You know the way Buddha explained it, but wisdom is walking the talk. That's why I say any well trained parrot can repeat what Buddha said, but people who understand it can actually walk the talk. Hence I often say this isn't about Buddhism - it is the practice itself.
Old 14-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

You know the way Buddha explained it, but wisdom is walking the talk. That's why I say any well trained parrot can repeat what Buddha said, but people who understand it can actually walk the talk. Hence I often say this isn't about Buddhism - it is the practice itself.

Yes. Only we disagree on what that precise entails.
Or how we should conduct ourselves according to said practises.

As for walking the talk.
A forum is I'll fit to make any assumptions about that.
You don't know what my practise is. How I shape it and what I learn from them. I don't try to convince the members here that my way is the Buddhist way with the same tenacity you appear to show off.

With Love
Eelco
Old 14-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think of it like listening to Bach. The first time you listen to it you hear some basic tunes, and then, as you listen to over and over again you start to hear all the subtle nuances.

Notice more yea. Aware of more.
Old 14-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Suspended

I don't have any objections to anyone's posts.
Old 14-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95

No me neither but I don't think it's a good idea to post teachings or personal insights under the umbrella of Buddhism when they clearly are not as it could confuse beginners.
Old 14-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
Did I say it's good to have upsets?
Did you mean this?

And this?

Beneficial attachments are never wise from a Buddhist point of view.
I think it's clear the Buddha in his teachings mainly addressed people who were ready to follow the path of bhikkhu and bhikkhuni. As any attachment or clinging to an attachment will cause more suffering.

There are some sutta's where he specifically addresses lay men and woman.

Anyway for me. As I find myself in the here and now with a woman I promised my loyalty to and 6 children. I am attached to the duty I have to provide and protect for them.

I am unsure if that is a Buddhist outlook, but it is one that serves me well.

Moving beyond the attachments.
It's a bit conjecture as I am with my spouse and my children. I am glad my oldest 2 have left the house. And start living their lives, I don't suffer their absence knowing they are a phone call or 3 hour drive away.

When I lost my girlfriend, and later my brother through a suicide and aids.
I was very much into "new age" thinking and could celebrate their return to the universal mind regardless of the pain I felt.
(People reacted very judgemental about that)

The latest attachment I have had to make was deciding to break contact with my parents.
First it hurts, then the pain passes.

I don't think releasing attachment causes one to no longer feel pain or suffer.
Back to the first noble truth. To live is to suffer. or to experience stress.
These things happen, but by seeing them as such I am capable of not lingering in lamenting over such experiences.

Does this answer your question, or am I thinking in the wrong direction.

With Love
Eelco

Hi Eelco,

I am sorry to hear about your losses.

I think we have different ideas of what attachments are. Yes they can be the big things in life but really it is the little things.

The getting sad when you don't get the new job, being rejected, getting upset because someone said something about you or disagrees with you.

Having debates on forums like this is a great way of finding what we get caught up in.

When I talk about moving beyond attachments is more about residing in the flows of thoughts.

First with the experience of silence in daily life they experience the Witness or mindfulness. It is a detachment from thoughts, from being caught up in them.

With increased silence one is able to notice or feel thoughts as flows of energy. It is the residing in those flows, be they silent or not where one can really first experience pristine clarity. True freedom from attachments. That residing is what Dzogchen Master Norbu would call Rigpa.

That clarity of residing is a very, very blissful state of being.

Moving beyond attachments is something much more than saying some stuff just doesn't bother or worry me. It is replaced by an expansion in being.

If you are interested in learning more about the progression I talked about here is a very nice book.

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...light=Dzogchen

Thank you for the reply.

Tom
Old 14-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95

I do, to some anyway.
Over the years I have become allergic to certain types of people.
There's 2 apparent ones on this forum. One I don't talk to unless spoken to.
The other. Well I can't save the world from people like that, but I can at least keep butting back to the nonsense they spew in sub-forums I have an interest in.

With Love
Eelco
Old 14-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
No me neither but I don't think it's a good idea to post teachings or personal insights under the umbrella of Buddhism when they clearly are not as it could confuse beginners.

To me it seems like something like this is ok:
Control of breath is important to me.
To me, control of breath is not important.

then maybe get into why one feels like they do.

but then this is not as good...maybe bad?
You need to believe breath is important.
No, you are wrong.

But yea it takes self discipline to speak so carefully... a few extra words here and there and a simple statement or discussion about ones personal beliefs and opinions turns into right and wrong.
Old 14-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Master
[quote=Eelco]I do, to some anyway.
Over the years I have become allergic to certain types of people.
There's 2 apparent ones on this forum. One I don't talk to unless spoken to.
The other. Well I can't save the world from people like that, but I can at least keep butting back to the nonsense they spew in sub-forums I have an interest in.

With Love
Eelco[/QUOTE

Do you need some Antihistamine, got a bag full of them and I don't mind sharing