Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 18-01-2024, 01:04 PM
Guide

Increasingly unable to watch anything tense or emotional

I don't watch much TV at all but I enjoy the occasional crime or psychological drama that hasn't got any or very little violence in it - nothing sadistic or graphic.

But now I struggle with watching anything at all. Emotional scenes, not intense crying which I'd avoid anyway but any sort of emotion or suffering of any kind, leaves me feeling pretty unbalanced for a while. Sometimes I get nightmares.

It's similar with reading. Normally I love psychological thrillers or plot driven crime novels but it's getting too much. I've began to read feel good stuff only and I love knowing nothing awful is going to happen when I turn the page.

I'm in a peaceful place at the moment so my mental health is fine. It's something I've always struggled with to be fair, but it has become worse lately.

I was wondering whether other people watch any Tv and/ or have experienced this or whether you don't have any issues watching Tv? Has it changed as you've gone further along the spiritual path, or not? I'm talking specifically about fairly tame Tv, not anything truly graphic, or the news (as the news is always bad for people's mental health).
Old 18-01-2024, 01:13 PM
Ascender
Hi Hemera,

I guess we are what we absorb and if what we are absorbing doesn't sit well with us we are often inclined to no longer want to absorb it.

I personally have very little interest in television or movies presently. I don't like the news, horrors, true crime or anything overtly negative.

I feel as you delve more deeper into the spiritual path your desire for low vibrational practices or activities lessens.

I feel it's really hard though in a generation that's so focused on media to avoid such things but one can only try.

Hope you have a wonderful day
Old 18-01-2024, 01:17 PM
Master

Being an Empath and life is difficult anyway, the older I get the more emotional I get with the world and everything in it.
Old 18-01-2024, 01:35 PM
Guide

Sara - yes that makes sense that we are what we absorb and if we're moving beyond it, as it were, then the inclination to absorb it will be less. And yes, it also rings true that the desire for lower vibrational activities will be less. That does speak to where I'm at but I couldn't articulate it. It's certainly not easy to avoid the media these days.

AngelBlue - I think I'm probably an empath, or at least was, albeit I struggle to deal with people's suffering these days. Maybe that's a sign in itself though. I criticise myself a lot and think I'm uncaring, but digging deeper I think it's more than it's too painful to tolerate other people's pain.
Old 18-01-2024, 03:06 PM
Master

Im so glad you wrote wrote those comments #1 as I feel exactly the same and was wondering if I was the only one! Phew what relief I’m not the only one. I haven’t watched TV for a long time now especially the news. I’ve even found that if a movie has aggressive people shouting at each other, it affects me badly as well. I only watch selective things on my iPad now.

Thanks for your honest comments.
Old 18-01-2024, 03:40 PM
Master

Feeling my own change. I like it. I find they have changed as well. Noticed that some time ago. I find it also applies to life. Agreeing with what others have noted to and feel the same.
Old 18-01-2024, 04:14 PM
There must be money in awful or graphic shows because in the USA they keep adding another Crime show based
in yet another city...CSI, murder investigations of all sorts...I notice the Brits love crime/murder shows, too.
If I see a chalk mark of a body...I turn the channel fast!
I have NO desire to feel tension watching anything.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 18-01-2024, 04:40 PM
Guide

Thanks so much everyone. I'm glad people can relate!

Redchic - oh gosh yes, seeing or even hearing people arguing makes me feel really shaken and upset for a long time. It even makes me feel physically sick.

Miss Hepburn it's similar in the UK. I'm sure that dramas get worse each year. I don't watch them, but from the descriptions I swear they get more sadistic as time goes on :( Greater need to 'hook' their audience I suppose.

None of it is for me. I'm going to start watching/reading stuff that feeds my soul.
Old 18-01-2024, 09:05 PM
Master

i don't much like action/adventure any more. The story lines are kinda tense and I don't like it...

crime dramas aren't so bad for some reason although I don't normally watch them... the storylines don't seem all that interesting...

so you see me watching a bunch of movies on hallmark channel all though even those can be a little tensiony sometimes...

the one thing i just can't take is anything where one person is trying to gaslight the other. I just have to turn the channel... immediately... even when it is very light on the gaslighting... lol...

but ironically i still like pro wrestling lol...

Go Figure!
Old 18-01-2024, 11:52 PM
Master
I've noticed that I've gotten more sensitive to certain things.
I think that as you get further on the spiritual path you also become more sensitive to stuff that doesn't gel with that, like violence, scary stuff (horror), but you are also more easily touched by intense emotional things.
I've always been like that, I cried when Sinterklaas arrived (kind of like Santa), when I watch movies like "Ghost" with Demi Moore & Patrick Swayze, but also Disney's the Lion King when the wee one is born. Or Bambi, or... or...

I do think it also has to do with not being truly open and/or digesting your own emotions and feelings properly.
It can also be related to hormones and the balance of them.
For women for instance you have to share feelings and emotions by talking about it, sharing it. If memory serves this has to do with oestrogen.
If you don't do that, have no one to talk to, or for whatever reason just don't, then you suppress it. It won't go away though, so possibly something like a book or movie can trigger it and make you feel whatever it is you're suppressing.

Not saying it is that for you -or me for that matter- but much, if not all, of how we are, how we react & act and feel, has to do with our inner balance of hormones...