Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 19-01-2024, 09:56 PM
Knower

It’s also the pressure on people to fit into society or your judged, escapism is due to the world we live in, no free will, god gave us a brain to think, like Einstein said “ allow yourself freedom to think and dream, that they can’t take away from you. Disassociation and Derealisation gets me though, the feeling that the world is not real or feeling of being outside yourself, and it’s labeled and your told you have a mental health condition, it’s a common symptom of awakening, you simply can’t express what you think anymore without being judged, and this causes pressure on people. They have a big book called DSM-5 they just read your symptoms and say oh you have this! Take this, mood stabilizers is the answer, it takes one good therapist to take a different approach and make a stand to actually make a difference and more will follow. Change is needed!
Old 19-01-2024, 11:22 PM
DSM-5 stands for the 5th Edition of The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders ---
Not everyone is aware of this thick blue book. :)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 20-01-2024, 05:07 AM
Master
Looking back in history, what we call psychology today was once considered a spiritual practice aided by the use of naturopathic medicine; then religion came along and took it up as their practice. They used exorcisms, bleedings, and a theological dogmatic approach to mental illness. It seems there was a competition between religion and spirituality.

Hippocrates, an ancient Greek physician, took medicine into a more scientific perspective. The field of medicine created the practice of psychiatry, and as a reaction against psychiatry, the discipline of psychology was created. This is the very short version of how the Church of Modern Medicine developed.

In my opinion: The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM), which is put together by mostly psychiatrists in their respective countries, is like the most widely accepted bible of diagnosing mental illness in the western oriented perspective. Every country has their own criteria for what they call “mental illness.”

But in the DSM you can find a mental diagnosis for absolutely every single human being on this planet. They even have general categories, like General Anxiety Disorder, etc. New diagnostic categories and labels are created and the DSM is then updated every now and then. I can remember the DSM-2, and now we are at the DMS-5. The DSM has its pros and cons just like everything else.

To give a person a proper mental health diagnosis, a licensed clinician, therapist, etc. sits an talks with the person for a while, they may give that person a psychological test, written, verbal, or otherwise. The clinician also looks at the person’s current behavior and past behavior; diagnosis is a practice which involves a standardized methodology or process. For a lay person to say someone is “psychotic” is not the same as receiving a professional diagnosis of psychosis from a licensed clinician.

All human beings are fallible, including doctors, therapists, those with lofty titles in positions of authority, or may be called “an expert.” They all make mistakes, just as we do, because we are all human. I do not put doctors or therapists on a pedestal, although I do acknowledge the valuable work most of them do. The field of psychology and psychiatry are still developing, and many things that were once called “mental illness“ are not seen as mental illness today..
Old 20-01-2024, 10:13 AM
Knower

People should be aware though that spiritual awakening will test your mental health in many ways, especially those with trauma and facing their shadows etc. I’ve read many stories of people checking themselves into psychiatry, it does require balance, and identifying when you need time out in reality for a while. I’m not religious but I know of the stories of Saint Anthony going mad and even Mary, before they came to be enlightened, that’s how I see it anyway, I’m not saying one has to go mad before awakening, but it can test your mental health on so many levels. Fear is the strongest emotion, stronger than love, but more primitive. Facing fear requires determination and strength, letting go of all beliefs, there is light in this darkness if one can get through it and not become stuck, and once seen there is a new sense of love, it’s not a romantic love or the love you have for your family, it is different like a connection to the divine which pines out of you, this kind of love is stronger than fear, it is the best feeling ever. Many people unlock their hidden gifts to their fullest potential once they discover this connection.

Last edited by vibrations : 20-01-2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old 20-01-2024, 01:56 PM
Master

Quote:
you simply can’t express what you think anymore without being judged, and this causes pressure on people

im finding a beauty in the bit of distance such has given; also see some beauty where there shouldn't be any, in the pressure.

as far as going mad while you are 'learning' - the thing for me has been that as I learn, I've been drawn to change the 'energies' in and around my body. But as I rely on those energies, as a reference so I know how to navigate 'safely' around other people, changing them changes my outlook in a fundamental way, and sometimes I don't know how I'm supposed to be responding to other people any more. The easiest things to do in response to what is happening just aren't appreciated by other people... in some ways they can have some very negative responses if I continue... So it becomes very difficult to navigate both what I am learning and the old place I was at where I was safely relating at the same time... and this i very much want to do because both eager to learn and I want to have some sort of meaningful relaitionship to other people.

well that is how i see all this anyway lol...
Old 20-01-2024, 07:11 PM
Master
Experiencing mental health issues while involved in a spiritual practice just means you are not ready for that particular stage of the practice.

These days lots of people jump right into meditation without any preparation and in the early stages of meditation practice your mind will rebel against being quiet; it may also weird out and send a person into a mentally imbalanced feeling. A preparatory program can prevent all of that.

I learned meditation back in the 1970’s but before I was taught meditation I went through an “aspirant program” where I did selfless service, etc. to humble my ego before learning how to meditate. It made for an easier transition into quieting my mind and no mental issues. To join an aspirant program you usually need to have a teacher who will guide you, but it can be done without an external teacher.

I really do not care what other people think about me wanting to constantly experience the incredible feeling of sweet spirit. They can say its psychosis, but the experience I have is much stronger then words or thoughts. It seems to me that people just want to pick on meditation and getting to know the presence of spirit.

Little over a year ago the term “spiritual bypassing” came to the public consciousness. It was about people having spiritual experiences and bypassing counseling for emotional problems. Well the term spiritual bypassing has faded, and now we have the term spiritual psychosis, and that term will fade also. Spirituality by its nature is not instep with most of what humanity has created.

In the 1970’s and 1980’s parents would hire a person known as a “de-programmer” to kidnap their child and have these de-programmers “de-brainwash” their child. This was going on a lot in the U.S. back then. People who knew nothing about meditation thought meditation was evil, they would say that a person looked like a demon with light shining from their eyes. I mean meditation and yoga was under attack by lay people since it started spreading worldwide. There was pressure back then to stop doing meditation and yoga from Christianity and non-religious groups as well. But the mental health community has never validated a diagnosis known as “spiritual psychosis.”
Old 20-01-2024, 07:40 PM
Thank you Starman for saying what you just did. xo
(Ah, the days of Ted Patrick!)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 20-01-2024, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Please be aware that psychosis is a mental Disorder it is when people are cut off from reality they see hear things that dont exist (hallucinations)

That is the only similarity you have to spirituality we are called mediums or psychics.

Please be aware that we have young people reading these posts who can take what is written as what they are suffering from.

psychosis is a mental disorder mediumship is not

Namaste
Old 20-01-2024, 08:55 PM
Administrator
As we do not Diagnose on these forums this thread is now closed

Namaste