Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 20-03-2012, 02:45 AM
Sybilline

Book1 Hi, can anyone help me know --- what is living and non-living?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know what's living and non-living in a spiritual sense. I took up Environmental Biology (just 2 years, lol) so we studied this in a scientific point of view. The rules are:

Living things are made of cells.
Living things obtain and use energy.
Living things grow and develop.
Living things reproduce.
Living things respond to their environment.
Living things adapt to their environment.

So this obviously, are stuff like, us animals, plants, bacteria, virii, etc etc... But how about in a spiritual sense, like for instance water --- is not made up of cells. It is made up of Hydrogen and Oxygen bonded together. But ever since I was young and before I even studied anything about spirituality, I've always known it was alive.

And the rocks. Here in my country, the elderly, the ones who know very little of the Science we study at school, but know so much about the world around them, the term they have for rocks that are close to the river and are smooth and dark colored are "living rocks".

My question is, what are the things that Science deems non-living, but is actually alive, spiritually? What determines living and non-living, is it consciousness? How do I know?

Thanks for reading I'm sorry about the length!! :))
Old 20-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Quintessence

As far as I'm concerned, everything is "alive" in a "spiritual" sense. But I'm also an animist, so of course I would take that perspective. What you choose to believe is your responsibility and up to your own personal metaphysical/religious/spiritual ideas.
Old 20-03-2012, 02:07 PM
RiversLady

From the Taoist standpoint, everything has chi (the life fource). Some things have more than others. Rocks can have chi, yet they aren't alive from our viewpoint. Using a rock again for an example, it could be sentient and have a consious soul and sense of self if it has enough chi. But it isn't living. Or take a soul that has departed its body. It is consious, but you couldn't very well say it is alive. Perhaps using the term aware would be better than alive?
Old 21-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Sybilline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversLady
From the Taoist standpoint, everything has chi (the life fource). Some things have more than others. Rocks can have chi, yet they aren't alive from our viewpoint. Using a rock again for an example, it could be sentient and have a consious soul and sense of self if it has enough chi. But it isn't living. Or take a soul that has departed its body. It is consious, but you couldn't very well say it is alive. Perhaps using the term aware would be better than alive?

Thanks! :)) Is it possible to "feel" life?