Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 28-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Seeker
Just starting

I'm only just starting to use meditation and I was wondering if anyone has tips for focusing - any specific crystals, candles, incense etc. they have found to be especially useful and calming.

I have researched and bought some frankincense and myrrh incense and am hoping to try that soon as it seems to be ideal for me for calming and improving mood/energy. Has anyone had any positive or negative experience with this?

Any help or advice much appreciated.
Old 28-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourmyworld
I'm only just starting to use meditation and I was wondering if anyone has tips for focusing - any specific crystals, candles, incense etc. they have found to be especially useful and calming.

I have researched and bought some frankincense and myrrh incense and am hoping to try that soon as it seems to be ideal for me for calming and improving mood/energy. Has anyone had any positive or negative experience with this?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

I think it's best to have a meditation time set aside and practice for that allotted time, otherwise it's a bit hit and miss.
Old 28-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think it's best to have a meditation time set aside and practice for that allotted time, otherwise it's a bit hit and miss.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try and find a good time to meditate everyday. Have you found there is a best time of day or that it is a personal thing as to when you schedule it?
Old 28-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Knower
My 2 cents: try out different ways to meditate to see what you are comfortable with. Guided meditations are available on youtube, you could try focusing on a candle, do breath exercises, chakra meditation, walking meditation...
N
“Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics.”

—Albert Einstein
Old 28-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenu
My 2 cents: try out different ways to meditate to see what you are comfortable with. Guided meditations are available on youtube, you could try focusing on a candle, do breath exercises, chakra meditation, walking meditation...
N

Thank you, and the Einstein quote is fab!
Old 28-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Seeker
One other thing is how long would you suggest is needed to really focus your energy and lose outside influences - I know it varies but thought I'd ask other peoples opinions and know their experiences.
Old 28-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Knower
Hi, Colourmyworld. I was going to ask this same question. I'm trying to learn to meditate too for the past 6 months or so, but I've been struggling.

Two days ago, I tried concentrating on the wick of a candle in a somewhat dark room, and that seemed to work better than anything else I've tried. I used a vanilla cupcake scented candle that was almost used-up so I was watching the candle through the glass container. I hope it continues to work, but I expect I may get in a rut soon and it will no longer work.

So I was hoping that people might provide a variety of methods that a novice could switch between for variety.
Old 28-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourmyworld
One other thing is how long would you suggest is needed to really focus your energy and lose outside influences - I know it varies but thought I'd ask other peoples opinions and know their experiences.
Depends how resistant you are to those 'outside influences' (by which I assume you mean the contents of your consciousness) - it takes a bit of practice, but try to be the watcher of the thoughts and feelings that arise, be detached from them instead of doing what we habitually do, which is to get lost in them.
Old 28-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-sky
Hi, Colourmyworld. I was going to ask this same question. I'm trying to learn to meditate too for the past 6 months or so, but I've been struggling.

Two days ago, I tried concentrating on the wick of a candle in a somewhat dark room, and that seemed to work better than anything else I've tried. I used a vanilla cupcake scented candle that was almost used-up so I was watching the candle through the glass container. I hope it continues to work, but I expect I may get in a rut soon and it will no longer work.

So I was hoping that people might provide a variety of methods that a novice could switch between for variety.

Have you tried observing your breath? It's a good way to get attuned to your body, though as with any technique it takes times and patience (and you wouldn't think you could do it wrong, but I managed it - I think the trick's to not try to breathe, that just tends to create tension).
Old 28-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-sky

I am the same so might try the candle trick :P I think it might take trying a few things to find what works for me!