Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 10-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Flux
Maybe a related question is: why do you meditate? Then, based on the answer, you can get a reasonable idea of how long one sitting should ideally be. For example, if your goal is to reduce stress, then 15 minutes will probably be better than 5 minutes, but 60 minutes may not be better than 15 minutes. If your goal is to observe how your mind works, then 60 minutes might be better than 15, but starting out with 15 minutes and building it up over time could be a good strategy.

That's a good point. I don't suffer from stress and anxiety. My problem is, I'm a very inactive and indecisive person. This causes problems with reaching goals, being responsible, and sometimes even fulfilling obligations. When I meditate, I'm much more focused, and active, to the point that my goals are practically accomplished before my eyes. I don't have to force myself to do anything, and I try harder when faced with obstacles and adversity instead of running away. So basically, I meditate to stay grounded, responsible, and active.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm of the view that one best meditates for a duration so that they start to become aware and begin to understand the struggles they tend to enter into.
I'm not of the view that ordinary mind can overcome ordinary mind. But I am of the view that ordinary mind can take a vacation of itself without overcoming itself. So all meditation may only entail transient vacations from ordinary experience. But that is fine because there is nothing to say against vacations.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
I'm not of the view that ordinary mind can overcome ordinary mind. But I am of the view that ordinary mind can take a vacation of itself without overcoming itself. So all meditation may only entail transient vacations from ordinary experience. But that is fine because there is nothing to say against vacations.

I was wondering today if the 'vacation' as you call it is the path back to a place where you can be 'born again' as one religion puts it, or 'like a little child'?

[edit] born again meaning something other than 'more religious' lol!
Old 11-06-2017, 03:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
Hello,
Got to disagree,when you start making a set rule whether an hour a day,then it an hour a day at the same time everyday, and then you find you fit your life around your meditation which defeats the purpose!
The purpose is supposed to be calm and relaxed in body and thought, this type of meditation is not what you read about in books, all the old school early practitioners did not have 21st century lives, clocks,watches,phones and television.
I don't work, so you would think I could manage a lousey 45 minutes each afternoon, that was optimum time for me,but, I had all my doctors appointments and physio chopped and changed, it started to interfere with my meditation routine, that causes stress,the one thing I want to be rid of.

You will work out what's right,and every member here will have their own opinion about it, you are the one meditating!

KRB

I generally set a schedule and stick to it. This is the best way to fit it in and make sure time is reserved for it. I can let others know my meditation time, so they know I'm unavaiable at that time. It's not a hard fast rule, because things come up and life requires some flexibility, but 45 minutes is certainly doable as a general rule.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:07 AM
Master
Quote:
I'm not of the view that ordinary mind can overcome ordinary mind.

I don't know what 'ordinary mind' is.

Quote:
But I am of the view that ordinary mind can take a vacation of itself without overcoming itself.

I generally consider overcoming things as consequential, not as a goal. I'm not sure the idea of vacation is easily distinguishable from avoidance. I guess that's a matter of interpretation.

Quote:
So all meditation may only entail transient vacations from ordinary experience. But that is fine because there is nothing to say against vacations.

My view is, meditation has little to do with experiences be they 'ordinary' (I guess that means common or unremarkable) or spectacular. It's more like the mindful equanimity with 'this' experience as it is, or, like, me as I happen to be now.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Master

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanSynth
I've read a lot of books and have watched a lot of videos about meditation, and it is always mentioned that longer meditation isn't necessarily better. That the goal should be consistent daily meditation. For example, it is recommended to meditate for at least 10-20 min a day, and that this is, of course, better than meditating 1 hour a week. But what about meditating an hour a day? Consistently, every day?

I think of it like music practice. If two different musicians practice at the same quality, every day, but the 2nd musician practices longer than the 1st, the 2nd musician will learn more. But is meditation the same way? Should I only practice for 15 min a day? Or should I practice for an hour a day, as long as I make sure to do it every single day?

It's kinda ironic and interesting that we are speaking about time regarding meditation when meditation itself can lead to timelessness. You can become absorbed and 1 clock hour can pass in what seems like a flash. Loads of good advice here I enjoyed reading, motivation being one, goal orientation and results which as Gem says are consequential and not the goal. I think it is common sense to aim for 15mins-20 mins in the beginning to even relax the body etc.

I think it was Ajahn Brahm who told the story of a monk who became absorbed in 'jnana' and the place where he was meditating became flooded with several feet of water in places. He came out of meditation several days later and had missed the whole event.

Also, conditions are important at least in the beginning. Does the place where you meditate support outer quietness, is it a disturbed place. How is life outside of the meditation, are you in a very stressful job etc. Do you have children ? lol. Sorry kids :) So the conditions might also dictate how long you need to spend getting relaxed.

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 11-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I don't know what 'ordinary mind' is.

I generally consider overcoming things as consequential, not as a goal. I'm not sure the idea of vacation is easily distinguishable from avoidance. I guess that's a matter of interpretation.

My view is, meditation has little to do with experiences be they 'ordinary' (I guess that means common or unremarkable) or spectacular. It's more like the mindful equanimity with 'this' experience as it is, or, like, me as I happen to be now.
Maybe it is better to go back one step because I did not make clear what caused my remark.
you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm of the view that one best meditates for a duration so that they start to become aware and begin to understand the struggles they tend to enter into.
which made me wonder what you are suggesting with 'understand the struggles they tend to enter into' in the context of meditation. And I interpreted this to mean that you are suggesting a kind of insight to be made through meditation. But if that is what you are suggesting then I have to wonder 'why insight?' and I thought that actually you suggested a change through insight and thus a change through meditation and such kind of change is what I am denying in the context of meditation ... or to put it more clearly: at least a permanent change is what I am denying not a temporary change during the meditation session which I likened to vacation.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
I was wondering today if the 'vacation' as you call it is the path back to a place where you can be 'born again' as one religion puts it, or 'like a little child'?

[edit] born again meaning something other than 'more religious' lol!

Using 'vacation' is actually my way to put it trivially and to avoid irrational religious exaggerations. Vacations are for the purpose of recreation and relaxation and so is meditation. After too much work you need vacation otherwise you lose the capacity to work. After too much thinking, feeling, perceiving you need meditation otherwise you lose the capacity to think and perceive clearly and focused and are in a state of continuous confusion.
However the positive effect of vacations usually deteriorates rapidly.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Maybe it is better to go back one step because I did not make clear what caused my remark.
you said:

which made me wonder what you are suggesting with 'understand the struggles they tend to enter into' in the context of meditation. And I interpreted this to mean that you are suggesting a kind of insight to be made through meditation. But if that is what you are suggesting then I have to wonder 'why insight?' and I thought that actually you suggested a change through insight and thus a change through meditation and such kind of change is what I am denying in the context of meditation ... or to put it more clearly: at least a permanent change is what I am denying not a temporary change during the meditation session which I likened to vacation.

You don't have to remain in the Class Room to benefit from the teachings.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Suspended
Guide
I like threads like this!

Very easy on the head!,lol

KRB