Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 31-08-2014, 12:20 AM
chessmaster

What is the difference between concentration meditation and mindfulness meditation?

I was wondering if somebody could explain the difference between these two. I was also wondering if somebody could give me some ideas on where to start with meditation. I hardly know where to begin, there's so much information on it. I have experimented some with concentration meditation where I just focus on my breathing, and when other thoughts come up, I go back to focusing on my breathing. However I don't know where to go from here and I don't feel like it has done much for me yet.
Old 31-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Master
Breath meditation like you describe is fine. How long have you been practicing for?
Old 31-08-2014, 06:38 PM
TaoSandwich

Chessmaster,

From my tradition (Tao and Soto Zen), one answer among many is that focusing on the breath is a device to help people to not let their mind start mulling over all of the thoughts that try to pass through your head (and trust me, on some days, thoughts will come into your meditation). From my perspective, the next step of meditation after focusing on breath is just being able to sit while focusing on nothing at all. If thoughts come up, let them run their course through your mind and they will pass away. Even intense emotion will pass if you let it do it's thing in your head and don't cling to it. Focusing on breath is the entryway into true meditation, not focusing on anything is the next step... and the step after that? I'm not quite there so I can't speak of that :P

Best Wishes,
TaoSandwich
Old 04-09-2014, 12:40 PM
chessmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoSandwich
Chessmaster,

From my tradition (Tao and Soto Zen), one answer among many is that focusing on the breath is a device to help people to not let their mind start mulling over all of the thoughts that try to pass through your head (and trust me, on some days, thoughts will come into your meditation). From my perspective, the next step of meditation after focusing on breath is just being able to sit while focusing on nothing at all. If thoughts come up, let them run their course through your mind and they will pass away. Even intense emotion will pass if you let it do it's thing in your head and don't cling to it. Focusing on breath is the entryway into true meditation, not focusing on anything is the next step... and the step after that? I'm not quite there so I can't speak of that :P

Best Wishes,
TaoSandwich

Not focusing on anything... Would that be like mindfulness meditation?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
chessmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Breath meditation like you describe is fine. How long have you been practicing for?

I practiced for about a week and a half and then quit and now I'm getting back into it
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Master
The twice sitting for 20 mins. is a powerful practice. It is much more powerful than the watching of your thoughts during the day practice. What most people do is start with the sitting and then during the day try for 2 mins to watch your thoughts/emotions. Try for 2 mins maybe 10 times during the day. The mindfullness of watching your thoughts can lead to extreme levels of bliss. The advanced method is called maha mudra which then leads to Dzogchen.

Remember this is a marathon not sprint. While you may not notice anything happening at first others may notice. That is what happened with me. Give it time. The most important thing is being consistant with your twice daily practice.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster
I practiced for about a week and a half and then quit and now I'm getting back into it

Oh yea? not so long... well, I'd say if you began with breath meditation, stick with that, and see what comes up from there.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster
I have experimented some with concentration meditation where I just focus on my breathing, and when other thoughts come up, I go back to focusing on my breathing.
However I don't know where to go from here and I don't feel like it has done much for me yet.
May I give you some inspiration?

When you focus on the breath...at the same time...
relax into it...get wonderfully relaxed and comfortable...so much that it
puts a smile on you like relaxing on the best mattress...feel the beauty of
total freedom from bodily muscle tensions subtly gone unnoticed bec they
are 'normal' to you.

As you breath easily and naturally...know in your mind there is a goal...that sweetly hidden behind that breath
is something so incredible...that only in relaxed, wonderful stillness...stillness sublime...can this hidden 'secret place'
come to the forefront ... like a butterfly
emerging inside you...fascinating, mysterious, yet familiar
...behind the breath is the power underlying all creation.

It is not some boring, dry mental discipline...

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 06-09-2014, 05:28 AM
Master

My findings over the years, and the resulting outcome has been that the first major step to thought provoking meditation, is the complete control of the conscious mind...

The method mentioned in this instance, is the only type of meditation I have ever used... Such has served me well, improving my overall levels of intuitive thought and decision making...

I'm not suggesting this will be advantageous for one and all, but I think it's worth considering: as a means to an end ~ in some cases...

Never search for answers. Wait patiently until they are placed before you, which will be when you can unconditionally accept: and live those answers...

Old 06-09-2014, 06:29 PM
painter_lady

Pardon me for asking: how does one control the conscious mind?