Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 06-04-2014, 01:10 PM
goldentimes

Exclamation pagan horn god vs Christian devil

Hi all, I was thinking the other day about this title and thought about pagans saying that they do not worship the devil; But we do in some way .
If we worship the horn god, then what is the devil-a horn god, but much later in Christianity it changed as being the devil as an evil spirit.

I am pagan, but I have been studying the every early Christianity and the basics of it. I'm coming up with that Christianity could have been another form of paganism just like the vikings and Saxon paganism and the very old paganism (iron-bronze age uk) or even wiccans

As a pagan I do not believe in one god who made everything like today's Christianity. Jesus worshiped the sun god as you can see light shining down on he's face when he is praying (it's in the photo's of some books); So I think that once Christian's worshiped the sun god.
They also worship the Mother Earth in some way. Chritsian's, just like old pagan's worshiped at times of 2nd feb. 1 may, 1 Aug, 1 Nov.-these are also farming seasons which was under time of early Christianity.
Another goddess which Christian's worship is marry but may have been renamed to Marry at a later date.
I also do not believe in the testaments and i do not believe that Jesus dead on a cross but, a cross is a symbol for death, and rebirth and not "Jesus on the cross"
If Jesus did come back?, then it would have been a rebirth to learn from what he didn't learn from he's past life.

There been lots that been coming up and maybe we should stop all bitterness
and Judging others and start rethinking. As a pagan start being open minded to Christianity and others as well as our own beliefs.
YES we all have made mistakes in the past and done wrong, but we cannot change it, but we can make it better by changing the way we think.

"As a real pagan I will always be kind and an open mind Blessed be!"
Old 06-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Ascender
The Horned God is not the Devil. He is The God, consort of The Goddess. His horns are that of a stag. The Devil is an entirely Christian invention and how the Devil came about is an entirely different story.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Raeona_Storm

You said it better than me Lilyth :).
Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Guide

I am very attuned to christianity and have personal experience of encountering the Christ consciousness. I do feel that christianity can be seen as a form of paganism with Jesus symbolizing the God and Mary Magdelene symbolizing the Goddess.

Personally I believe that there is more to the Jesus story than just mythology. I believe there may have been a historical Jesus with a historical crucifixion and resurrection.

I feel closer to paganism than I do to fundamentalism. I feel that the Son = the Sun and that in some mysterious way these myths are embodied in a historical as well as archetypal, context through the life of Jesus.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly233
I do feel that christianity can be seen as a form of paganism with Jesus symbolizing the God and Mary Magdelene symbolizing the Goddess.

The dictionary meaning of the word "paganism" is: any of various religions OTHER THAN Christianity or Judaism or Islam.

So Christianity could never be seen as a form of paganism.

I really don't believe that Jesus worshipped the sun god who's light shone down upon his face - it is said (somewhere in the Bible, I believe) that it's the glory of the light of God that was shining down on Jesus' face
Old 07-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Master
"So Christianity could never be seen as a form of paganism."

Not sure that I agree with you there, Jenny.
Take a good look at the Catholic Church as an example. Triple Deity, worship of "graven idols", ritualised cannibalism, arcane robes and symbols, chanting, "spell" books, "special" holy days in line with pagan holy days - everywhere you look are pagan influences.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyth Von Gore
The Horned God is not the Devil. He is The God, consort of The Goddess. His horns are that of a stag. The Devil is an entirely Christian invention and how the Devil came about is an entirely different story.

The Horned god - Cernunnos aka Kern aka Herne is the masculine principle of Nature and consort of the goddess, the feminine principle of Nature - Yin and Yang, each essential to the other.
Take another horned god, Pan aka Lucifer - honorifics Lord of Darkness and Lord of Light - Yin and Yang combined in a single being. It was Pan that the christian faith perverted into meaning Satan [aka Lucifer, the devil].
Old 07-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
"So Christianity could never be seen as a form of paganism."

Not sure that I agree with you there, Jenny.
Take a good look at the Catholic Church as an example. Triple Deity, worship of "graven idols", ritualised cannibalism, arcane robes and symbols, chanting, "spell" books, "special" holy days in line with pagan holy days - everywhere you look are pagan influences.

Well.........unless the dictionary is wrong!!!

Things that are done in Christianity may be similar to pagan ways but that doesn't make it pagan IMHO. Of course there are pagan influences, and they based their holy days on the earlier pagan ones - that was how the Church tried to lure the pagans in, wasn't it, but Christianity is still Christian - their god is not any of the pagan gods - their god is the Christian god.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:05 PM
goldentimes

you may find interesting

Illiteracy overtook post-Roman Britain after the Anglo-Saxon invasions of the fifth century. From the few surviving records, we know that the invaders were pagans who subscribed to a cult of warfare and ancestor worship. Later chronicles reveal that their descendents eventually adopted Christianity. The ninth century AngloSaxon Chronicle and the tenth century Anales Cambraie and Chronicle of Aethelweard confirmed, and even used, earlier sources such as the eighth century historians, St. Bede of Jarrow and Nennius of Bangor. All of these texts shed light on the conversion of the pagan Anglo-Saxons, and each of them in turn referred to the sixth century writings of Gildas the Wise. Therefore these are among the primary sources used in this study of who the early pagan Anglo-Saxons were, and how it was that they came to abandon their ancestral religion in favor of Christianity.
Why the ancient pagan Anglo-Saxon warlords came to adopt the Christian faith is a most intriguing question. It was the religion born of long dead Semitic Essene extremists, and for those Anglo-Saxon chieftains the great intellectual leap was taken in making sense of it on their own terms.
The conversion of pre-Anglo-Saxon Roman Britain actually began with an hallucination by a heathen warlord on the eve of leading his troops into a great battle. He would become the Roman emperor Constantine, and he interpreted his "vision" to mean that Jesus of Nazareth had become the universe's new supreme God of War. It was only years later, on his deathbed, that Constantine was baptized a Christian, but in the meantime, he had begun to make Christianity the official religious dogma of the Roman Empire, of which Britain was a part. The later pagan Anglo-Saxons also had a similar interest in the efficacy of their War God, and initially reconstructed Christian doctrine in a similar way.

The word 'pagan' is derived from a Middle English word, which itself comes from the from the Latin word paganus, which means 'country dweller'. This is derived from the Latin word pagus, which means 'country' or 'rural area'.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Experiencer
"Illiteracy overtook post-Roman Britain after the Anglo-Saxon invasions of the fifth century."

I love English history - by which English historians mean British history.

Britain wasn't illiterate after the Romans left, otherwise we wouldn't have the writings of Gildas, Nennius.