Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
Could it have to do with not trusting yourself? Thinking that it works with RW and now it won't work with other cards?
In a way I had a similar thing, couldn't relate to RW, but in the end I did great readings with it. Then got Robin Wood in as those images resonated much better with me. I loved the deck, yet I found it difficult to switch as I was doing great with the RW.
I just took my time with the new deck, went through all the cards one by one. Journaled on each and every one, my own interpretation. TOok me 2-3 days, but it paid off as this helped me connect to the new cards. I picked 1 card that I felt represented me, went 'in' the card to feel what it would be like to be that person, to be in that scenery, to interact with the other people in that picture.
After those 2-3 days I could work really well with my new Robin Wood deck and I have used it for years. Only last year did I get a 3rd Tarot deck in, the Green Witch. The images -and the deck- worked for me right away, especially since many are so different from RW.
I feel that sometimes it's about letting go of the default RW interpretations that we have filled our brains with. It is very helpful, yet on the other hand side it can block you as you end up limiting yourself to those interpretations, not leaving room for anything else that might come in intuitively.
I've learnt that from the Green Witch tarot and the Tarot of Sexual Magic that I bought around December last year. Nothing of the latter reminds of the RW and boy does it work! I found it quite liberating to have a Tarot deck that isn't RW based. But I could not have made that step in one go. I needed the in-between-step of the RW look-a-like Robin Wood.

In a way it's switching from letting go of what you have learnt to bouncing off of the imagery. So in a way letting go of what you know works and what is familiar.
Do some of the exercises I described above. it just might help you make that switch. ANd don't force it. If it doesn't work right away, use RW if you need to do a reading. You will be drawn to the new deck(s) regardless.

Thanks heaps Fairy Crystal. You could well be right. I'll give it a go. I also have the Green Witch Tarot, but as you say, the images are quite different in a lot of the cards, hence I thought I'd try the Robin Wood Tarot as it is more aligned with Rider Waite. I didn't expect it to be so difficult to connect with them.

Sounds like very good advice.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:38 AM
55Degrees

I agree with what FairyCrystal has written. Sometimes though, it really is a case of not gelling, but it would be a shame not to use it if you were drawn to it initially.

I'm a huge advocate of tarot journals and actively undertake a study of a deck (not all, but some) set a time frame (6 weeks, 6 months, even a year if you want).

Another exercise is to consciously choose cards.
You can start by going through your cards and pick the image that you like best, write down why? Does it just have a nice feel to it, is it the colours? How does it make you feel? Does it remind you of something/someone?

Next, do the same with the card you like the least and remember, a notepad and pen are your best friend.

Which Wand card is you fav/least fav? etc. This helps you really look at the cards, examine the images and the initial gut feeling. You may find that your choices change depending on your own emotions, examine that too. Go through each suit doing the same thing.
5 minutes a day, that's all, it doesn't have to be an internal seminar.

If you like I can send you my 'getting to know you/like you' exercises (cos I luvs me some tarot study )
Old 06-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Master
Go girl! Just really feel the sceneries, take time to feel and intuit what they are telling you. How would you feel when in that scenario? For instance take the Swords 3 of Green Witch. Totally different from RW. But it can tell you so much more! Is she wondering about going back into an old battered place or not? OR did she stumble upon this old battered place after she'd left something else behind, thinking "Hmmm, is this actually better? Does this serve me?"
One reading you might get the first, another reading the last, or something else yet again. But you have to allow yourself to let go of the RW interpretations of the heart with 3 Swords that will pop up right away. That's what I meant with "it can also block/limit you to have that knowledge."
The same Green Witch card I also get this: looking at something and thinking it isn't all that great, but... is it all that bad really? SImple matter of removing some plants and planks, there's a light, a pump for water, she's got bags of food. So maybe she's just has to learn to not judge a book by its cover.

Do this sort of thing with let's say some 10 cards of the deck, and I think you'll find it will suddenly click into place. Also try and do this with the card that least speaks to you. Can be challenging, grin. Go in it, feel. How would you feel when in that scenery? When you had to interact with the others -if there are others in it.
I got that exercise from a Tarot book, and it has brought me so so much!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:44 AM
Master
Nice, Pisces :) I will remember those too!
I also did this thing with choosing a card that I felt represented me, then choosing one I felt represented my partner. Then you have them interact and feel how that works out.
I must say, the outcome and info was astounding and spot on concerning the relationship and how I felt in it.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Master

It’s surprising how much artistic differences can shape how you read the cards. All my decks are also RWS based but I get very different feels from each.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Master
I didn't ever need the RWS after the first year, but I know the images very well. I never go back to it and I never had to learn the traditional meanings. I began exploring other decks, so I never go by meanings. I don't feel there is any need to.
Strangely I don't just like happy decks anymore, all imagery can't draw me, like witch's tarot or stuff like that. Just beautiful imagery does not make different. I think sometimes it's more than just beautiful or interesting imagery, and more often the concept the deck carries.
I might as well buy one limited edition deck for the entire year and work with it. I think most decks don't impress me too soon now.

There are also people who have just one deck, and they take it our rarely once a while if asked. I think not everyone is impatient as me, because I myself also hardly ever need a deck for a reading but I have a big collection. I think for demonstration or for people who want to get readings it make sense, as it does leave profound impacts on those reading and those being read. It can keep things moving, but I don't feel it is always needed though, even in very minute or subtle ways. It depends on the situation and the reader themselves. Or maybe also people who fancy art or art works and keeps them engaged to look at various imagery and display. Or for something tangible to rely on.

Tarot is just a tool. It keeps things interesting for sure, but I don't heavily rely on it. I think I am re learning that now.

It's very hard to impress me by a deck alone. That's just how it is for me now .
Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 AM
55Degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealily
It’s surprising how much artistic differences can shape how you read the cards. All my decks are also RWS based but I get very different feels from each.

Definitely.
So much depends on the artwork and how the concept of the card is portrayed.
That's one of the reasons I have so many decks. Comparing and contrasting each artists' vision can give a wider scope of a cards meaning.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Master
If you're having so much good resonance with Rider-Waite, why fix what's not broken? Sure, other decks may be pretty or nice to look at as so many have already said, but when you get right down to it, the whole point of Tarot I thought, was to help others and yourself, sift through the murky rumblings of your soul?
Old 06-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitydown
If you're having so much good resonance with Rider-Waite, why fix what's not broken? Sure, other decks may be pretty or nice to look at as so many have already said, but when you get right down to it, the whole point of Tarot I thought, was to help others and yourself, sift through the murky rumblings of your soul?

Well said . Ultimately it's about helping others and oneself, how does it matter whether it is RWS or something based off of it. The best is to be with one thing and take time with it.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:37 PM
55Degrees

IMHO sometimes it's not the case of 'pretty or nice to look at,' as some decks are grotesque or macabre. Some clients dislike the imagery of the RWS, they don't see how the image corresponds to their issue/question.
IRL face to face readings I try to make it an interactive two way conversation, asking the client what they feel the image suggests, or how it makes them feel, if the client is up for that, great, if not it's no biggie. I then show them where it fits in with their answer. So having decks that they can relate to helps a lot.

I believe when a reader acquires a deck, it's more a case that, at some point, the images touched or triggered some part of the psyche and, for a lot of readers, there's a desire to explore that. A lot of readers I know, bought a certain deck on its publication and admit it took a long time before they were able to deal with it due to its depth and the feelings it brought up, but it was something they felt needed exploring. Sometimes a familiar deck doesn't give the visceral responses you're looking for when going through the murk.

It's about moving out of your comfort zone and spending time getting to understand a deck's accent and nuances (cos they all speak the same language, just differently).

I use my RWS for the majority of clients/sitters, they're like comfy trainers that you know will be worn for the sheer comfort value, but sometimes, you just wanna get those Manolo Blahnik's out of the box and dance around your bedroom. They feel different, maybe e feel uncomfortable and dancing in 4 inch heels may take some practice but you didn't buy them to sit in their box in the wardrobe, you bought them cos they told you something about yourself.

My two pennies worth, but I don't expect everyone to agree.