Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 01-07-2015, 11:52 PM
Newbie ;)

New To Druidry

Hi everyone! I have only been on this site for a few days. I have been pagan for about 3 years now, and just recently started studying Druidry. Are there any books that any of you would recommend reading?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:44 AM
Master

If you go to the O.B.O.D. site I'm sure they'll have a reading list
Old 02-07-2015, 04:04 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
If you go to the O.B.O.D. site I'm sure they'll have a reading list

Old 12-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Newbie ;)

OBOD is not the authoritative end-all-be-all organization of Druids.

You should respect them, for their contributions to our faith. You shouldn't forget that we are all brothers. They have a lot of knowledge to share. But.

I simply can't subscribe to their system. The way that they use the knowledge they gained on their sacred path to deny the experience and their community to anyone who doesn't shell out payment after payment for their coursework, just to gain one "Grade" in their community...

It saddens me. They know so much, they have so many great people, and they have a lot of resources for fellow Druids... But I can't agree with their current state of affairs.

There are other paths, Allen. Don't forget that. Follow your heart. If studying, tests, and grades are what you want out of Druidism, by all means, there's nothing wrong with that.

But if you're like me, and you see something wrong with that, too, just follow your heart. It will lead you to satisfaction.
Old 19-07-2015, 03:18 PM
payomayo

There are a lot of sites, organizations, and books out there. There are even a few online correspondence courses for free. If you Google something along the lines of, "Druid course online," you should find some resources.

I agree with Quiet about the O.B.OD., though, for the most part. I feel it's one thing to charge upkeep fees. I know that organizations need money to stay alive. However, I think it's another thing entirely to charge people outrageous sums just to be an "official" religious order member. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth...
Old 19-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Knower

I have a good book (despite being set in Comic Sans!) called The Path through the Forest: a Druid Guidebook, by Julie White and Graeme Talboys. They wrote "If you are the sort of person that likes to be part of a large, structured group with leaders and regular meetings, then an order is probably for you." Both were order-trained; now Julie belongs to a Grove, Graeme is a "hedge druid".
Old 19-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by payomayo
There are a lot of sites, organizations, and books out there. There are even a few online correspondence courses for free. If you Google something along the lines of, "Druid course online," you should find some resources.

I agree with Quiet about the O.B.OD., though, for the most part. I feel it's one thing to charge upkeep fees. I know that organizations need money to stay alive. However, I think it's another thing entirely to charge people outrageous sums just to be an "official" religious order member. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Oh......I didn't know they were like that - they have some interesting pages to read though. It's too bad that they're charging so much
Old 19-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann
Both were order-trained; now Julie belongs to a Grove, Graeme is a "hedge druid".

Really?? Hedge Druid??? I've heard of a Hedge Witch but not a Hedge Druid - although I suppose you could slap the two paths together, lol.
Old 19-07-2015, 10:35 PM
payomayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
Oh......I didn't know they were like that - they have some interesting pages to read though. It's too bad that they're charging so much

Yeah. There are other organizations that charge fees, but one of my favorites (Henge of Keltria) charges 15 to 30 dollars a year membership just to keep their stuff up and running. Like I said, I can understand that.

There are three courses that the OBOD offers. If you stop after the first level (Bardic), it's only 300 to 500 dollars (depending on which method of learning you choose). If you want to be considered an Ovate or a Druid, you have to go through two more training courses. Each are about the same price of the Bardic course.

So, basically, you have to spend anywhere between 300 and 1,200 dollars MINIMUM depending on what you want to be and to be considered a member. That's outrageous. Because they are the largest, most structured organization out there, they can charge that price.

They say it's to cover their costs and everything. I can't imagine how much their costs are if they need that much money.
Old 19-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Experiencer
You could join the Gorsedd of Bards. I think it's free. Either that or you're invited to join. You'd be in good company; the Queen, Rowan Williams and the late, great Ray Gravell - Druids!