Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Doesn't mean he speaks for all of Zen does it.

Does he speak for all of Zen ...... well you could say his love and compassion speaks for all..
Old 07-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
This is very important and I bet we will see this again.

In another words the Buddha would teach different things to different people. Higher teachings for those ready for them and basic teachings for those just starting out.

What did you mean was important? What part of what I shared?

And by "seeing it again" what did you mean exactly?

Adjusting to meet the needs of the one open and ready to explore and learn, plays a role in lots of ways of life and people as they are. So I guess in what your sharing about the variation of teachings, kind of relates in the same way. People can only comprehend what they are open and ready to explore and often what interests them in this way..

There is a natural awareness that can be understood in this way of relating to others, where you are naturally "in tune" rather than trying to play the tune so others take notice and then you find out they are not really interested or listening. That discernment considers much in relation to others and where they are, not my knowledge, awareness or what I think they might need. The need is more discerned through deeper reflective listening of the whole movements moving through the dynamics of the one or the whole group. Buddha obviously didn't mind stepping down from his own knowledge/platform to give back but then I suspect he was gaining deeper insights through the whole sharing in reflection of all that teaching because that is all part of the self awareness trials and deepening insights..

So even as you set up a OP I suspect you too and others would be aware in all that, that much can be gained just by being open and not pushing up against your idea to engage as per the way you requested, but letting everything through the connections come into a shared space, of deepening the insights or wisdom ongoing.

So fire away..

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder

Last edited by naturesflow : 07-06-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
My comments are not negative, I am just pointing out that what you are saying about all schools teaching the same is wrong when it's obvious they don't. I have had direct experience.

All the best.

Yes, one school will teach things that directly contradict what another school teaches.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Master
Quote:
I don't need to notice.... different schools interpret teaching differently, I have had direct experience of this, you obviously haven't as your understanding comes from the internet.

Of course the teachings are interpreted in various ways, and different schools also place more emphasis on different texts.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yes, one school will teach things that directly contradict what another school teaches.

I have had experience of this Gem. I won't name the Sangha I frequently attended for quite awhile but it was ' Tibetan ' I met some beautiful people there but after a while I realized that what they were teaching had definately not come from the Buddha. It nearly put me off Buddhism but I was lucky to be able to put it behind me and move on to find more valuable teachings. Thinking back on my experience I would use the word ' Cult ' rather than Sangha.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Master
Quote:
That's an interesting list, it does show some of the differences, how can we all see things exactly the same, it's impossible. I have found difference in the major schools so when you start to look how many other smaller sections that are all over the world it's obvious to find differences. I find it adds flavour to Buddhism instead of every single school tasting the same

Haha funny cuz I said 'flavours' too.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Haha funny cuz I said 'flavours' too.

Looks like we both enjoy flavours instead of bland
Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Master
Quote:
I have had experience of this Gem. I won't name the Sangha I frequently attended for quite awhile but it was ' Tibetan ' I met some beautiful people there but after a while I realized that what they were teaching had definately not come from the Buddha. It nearly put me off Buddhism but I was lucky to be able to put it behind me and move on to find more valuable teachings. Thinking back on my experience I would use the word ' Cult ' rather than Sangha.

yea, I don't get the 'Tibetan stuff' - and I've sat in with some the Buddhist groups in Sydney here that I found a bit 'left of centre'. The school I eventually became involved in the Sangha was all about the Satipatthana, vipassana insight meditation, and teachings related to the practice... and that's all I know about - in a lived experience way.,, though aspects of it were kinda cult-like, too.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
yea, I don't get the 'Tibetan stuff' - and I've sat in with some the Buddhist groups in Sydney here that I found a bit 'left of centre'. The school I eventually became involved in the Sangha was all about the Satipatthana, vipassana insight meditation, and teachings related to the practice... and that's all I know about - in a lived experience way.,, though aspects of it were kinda cult-like, too.

There are no other Sanghas in my City so I have to try and go it alone now, but I prefer it that way than listening to the nonsense they teach. We can but try
Old 07-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Master
Quote:
There are no other Sanghas in my City so I have to try and go it alone now, but I prefer it that way than listening to the nonsense they teach. We can but try
x

Yep, one thing I learned from this life is never lose that free thinking to the standards of tradition. There is a lot of pressure in a Sangha to conform, and a lot of pressure from society as well, but really, to be yourself in the way that you are is what this consciousness is, and spirituality is fundamentally the truth of yourself, the path of ongoing self discovery. It's a very honest way of living.